The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pedigree Whippet Needs Home

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
doris said:
just a thought really, I'm sure its too late to help in this case, but if a buyer signs a contract to return to the breeder should he need re-homing, and then the dog turns up in rescue, would the signed contract over-rule any rescue centre policy
what I mean is, legally, could a breeder get the dog back as they already hold a signed agreement?

usually an owner has to sign the dog over to the rescue , to relinquish ownership

BUT you have a very good point , does anyone know how this would work ?

excellent question alison :thumbsup:

As the whippet was bought and paid for. It is legally theirs, to do with as they wish. You can get them to sign a 'contract' but it isnt legally binding. As she signed it over to the rescue itis now legally the rescues.

All help from both the breeder and myself any many others of rehoming this chap have sadly been turned away.

We have left tel no with the rescue to pass on to the new owners when found, so they can contact us to let us know where he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are they so against the breeder or others having him back :unsure: I would have thought if they were willing to be homechecked and pay the donation the rescue would have been glad of it, it all sounds a bit odd to me :unsure:

I had one of my whippets go through this organisation, they are VERY anti breeders, they tar them all as puppy farmers !!!

Fortunately Scooby found a lovely home and the people now owned by him, keep in close contact. I only knew he had been rehomed when i spotted him at a companion show, i hadnt seen him for 5 years. They then went on to tell me how they got him.

to be honest i didnt find evesham rescue very friendly :(

trac said:
to be honest i didnt find evesham rescue very friendly  :(

Well thats awful because although this whippet has a queue of people waiting to give him a home there are many other lurchers and greys there that won't be so easy to home, and if people who are looking there get an unfriendly responce when they enquire what chance do these dogs have :( :(

This is all a total sham! :angry: And the poor dog is ultimately the one who suffers at the end of it all,it is all very sad really :( :( and I dislike a lot of rescues as they are'nt in my mind very helpful at all,long story but we tried to rehome an ex-racer Greyhound to no avail....according to them we were'nt suitable?? :wacko: now we have had hounds,gundogs and longdogs for years and show and race and work the Whippets,have our own six acres of land and our property is fenced securely,the dogs are'nt ever out on their own and they live in our home not in kennels,so why were we deemed not suitable? we asked and they said that their policy was NOT to tell people why they could'nt have a dog but just that they were'nt suitable :blink: :angry: :angry: So how on earth can anyone rehome any dog from these places?

Poor Eric,I hope he gets a lovely new home soon and they get in touch with the breeder and let them know how he is? I would hate to think of my any of the pups that I bred ending up somewhere like that! :(

05whippet said:
This is all a total sham!  :angry:   And the poor dog is ultimately the one who suffers at the end of it all,it is all very sad really  :(   :(   and I dislike a lot of rescues as they are'nt in my mind very helpful at all,long story but we tried to rehome an ex-racer Greyhound to no avail....according to them we were'nt suitable??  :wacko:   now we have had hounds,gundogs and longdogs for years and show and race and work the Whippets,have our own six acres of land and our property is fenced securely,the dogs are'nt ever out on their own and they live in our home not in kennels,so why were we deemed not suitable? we asked and they said that their policy was NOT to tell people why they could'nt have a dog but just that they were'nt suitable  :blink:   :angry:   :angry:   So how on earth can anyone rehome any dog from these places?
Poor Eric,I hope he gets a lovely new home soon and they get in touch with the breeder and let them know how he is? I would hate to think of my any of the pups that I bred ending up somewhere like that!  :(

we too was once classed unsuitable for having a rescue greyhound bitch because our bitch at the time wasnt speyed and was told if we got her speyed then they would consider us,dont to this day understand what the difference it would have made.

trish and graham said:
05whippet said:
This is all a total sham!  :angry:   And the poor dog is ultimately the one who suffers at the end of it all,it is all very sad really  :(   :(   and I dislike a lot of rescues as they are'nt in my mind very helpful at all,long story but we tried to rehome an ex-racer Greyhound to no avail....according to them we were'nt suitable??  :wacko:   now we have had hounds,gundogs and longdogs for years and show and race and work the Whippets,have our own six acres of land and our property is fenced securely,the dogs are'nt ever out on their own and they live in our home not in kennels,so why were we deemed not suitable? we asked and they said that their policy was NOT to tell people why they could'nt have a dog but just that they were'nt suitable  :blink:   :angry:   :angry:   So how on earth can anyone rehome any dog from these places?
Poor Eric,I hope he gets a lovely new home soon and they get in touch with the breeder and let them know how he is? I would hate to think of my any of the pups that I bred ending up somewhere like that!  :(

we too was once classed unsuitable for having a rescue greyhound bitch because our bitch at the time wasnt speyed and was told if we got her speyed then they would consider us,dont to this day understand what the difference it would have made.

:wacko: coercion to get everyone to come round to their strong view that all bitches should be spayed. Friend of mine is going through home checks etc with Evesham at the moment. I'll ask her what she thought of them. Sadly she won't be going for Eric because she's looking for a bitch. He does look a little love, doesn't he?

I've never understood some of the blanket policies some rescue centres have either.

A mate of mine was considered unsuitable because she worked part time - not just not for a young puppy, but not for any dog at all - full stop!

Now this was an organisation which will PTS healthy dogs if no one adopts them. Which kinda makes me think

Which is better for a dog

a) a loving home where they spend 4-5 hrs a day without human company, but have plenty cuddles/walks/playtime as well

or

b) 3-6months in kennels, getting cleaned out once a day, a walk every few days if you're lucky, getting wound up and stressed all day by all the other barking dogs around you - then PTS if you're not lucky enough to find the 'perfect' home

have even known people refused a cat because they work!

Now i don't think any old person should be able to adopt a dog, but given the stark alternative for so many of the inmates, i really do question the morals of sitting on such a high horse

crazy ain't it! shame they can't remember that the reason they are in a position to rehome dogs is cos dogs are so adaptable, if they can cope with the horrific stress of rescue kennel life, they've got a good chance of coping with a working home

I wonder how some rescues ever home a dog at all, one large rescue about 15 miles from us are constantly screaming for homes, some of the dogs have been with them for years and are now completely institutionalised. You can't have a dog if you work AT ALL, have children under 5, if you don't have a large garden and seemingly if they don't like the look of your face. Of course, we have rules, but every case is different and sometimes people want dogs that just aren't suitable for their lifestyles so we try and explain and guide them to the right dogs for them.

We have got some wonderful homes for our dogs from people who were refused by this rescue. Their loss - our gain. We always give phone numbers to new owners for if they need help, the support after is one of the most important parts of rescue, I'm sure everyone on here would agree that most of the problems come in the first few weeks, get over them and things are much, much easier.

The big rescues do tend to be very inflexible - life isn't like that.

i have also had a nasty experiance with a greyhound rehoming centre :(

i had a homecheck done and my wife had to go out when the girl arrived as she was taking my daughter and her friend swimming,i didnt think this was a problem as i thought she was just there to check the house and nobody had said that we all needed to be there and even the girl said that it wasnt a problem as she could meet our daughter at a later date when a dog became available.this was a very young girl who was dressed quite provocatively especially considering why she was here and to be honest she made me feel a bit uncomfortable as i was in my house on my own with her.i guess this was my problem not hers but it still just didnt feel right.she asked me lots of questions and had a look round and seemed perfectly happy and as far as i was aware i was polite and happy to answer any of her questions.she left saying that the house seemed fine and that she would see us all soon when a suitable dog became available for us to meet.

things took a turn for the worse though when later that night whilst i was at work,my wife received a very abusive phonecall from the person in charge of the centre saying that this girl had made a complaint about me and said that she had found me intimidating :blink: and i had made it clear that i didnt want her there and wanted her to leave as soon as possible :wacko: she then went on to shout at my wife "where the hell did she think that she was going when the girl turned up" before saying that we wouldnt be getting a dog from them and sarcasticly said good luck in ever finding one.this caused plenty of trouble at home as my wife automatically beleived that i had done something to upset this girl but i can honestly say hand on heart that i have absolutely no idea as to what i was supposed to have done wrong and she had seemed perfectly happy when she left and whatever i had supposedly done wrong was no excuse for her to ring up and give my wife a hard time as she wasnt even there.

looking back i suppose that it was for the best or we wouldnt have our little zuki now if we had waited for a greyhouind but at the time it was very upsetting.i guess if your face doesnt fit :(

this was a very well known greyhound rescue as well ;)

:rant: one of the more 'popular' rescue centres near me sends a disabled lady to do home checks - now I have no problem with disabled people BUT this person was on 2 crutches and could not walk down the gardens to check on fencing! :rant: She had had no 'training' on what to look for and even 'passed' people with 3' fencing for greyhounds as.'they are better in a home than a kennel!' Probably accounts for the number of their 'homed' dogs straying around here :rant: Ok ,rant over now! :p

*sigh* okay kokie sticking my head above the parapet and its late so I hope this comes across as its meant :lol:

As a rescue founder we have *many* a time had a dog handed in to use with a horror story about a breeder/trainer/owner which we do try to take with a pinch of salt, I dont want it going back to the breeder because.... BUT then decide we need to do what we feel is best for the dog now its in our care, now no matter whether its true or not we dont know the person handing the dog in from Adam or the breeder from Adam. However, once that dog is in our care we do get to know the dog. I may be a bit mental but every dog that comes through Gaps care *is* and always will be one of my babies and once with me I will strive to do what is right by that dog for the best of its life in exactly the same way a good breeder will. We arnt moronic oinks honest ;) and I hope others as I know I will strive to find what we feel is the best suitable home for the dog in our care once an assessment has been thoroughly undertaken.

We also try in the main not to have blanket polices. We dont like to home death row adult pound dogs with kiddies under 4 just simply because there may be a history of a bite we dont know about. We do home to workers full time if the dog is suited, part time if the dog is suited and at home most of the time if the dog needs more. We home to flats, houses, canal boats you name it but only if we feel the dog is suitable to that situation dont forget we know the dog in the same way you know your dogs.

We do in the main have a blanket rule on homes with un neutered dogs in but for what we feel is a good reason. In the sameway I cant force anyone to neuter there dog as they are entitled we shouldnt be forced or slated for not homing into that environment because we are entitled. Its not because we feel that people with entire animals are irresponsible owners as is often fingered and stated for being the blame quite the opposite. Its because when we did home into homes with entire animals we did substantially see the fail rate amongst those homes increase. Bitches who were spayed put in with unspayed bitches, bitch came into season resulted in tears and fights instigated by the in season bitch. Entire males humping spayed bitches because Joe Bloggs bitch next door was in season or even without an in season bitch around. Un neutered males causing problems with neutered males.

We often get calls saying my unspayed bitch isnt like that or my un neutered male never showed any interest. No matter whether we believe you we dont know your dogs like you know your dogs and you dont know our dogs like we know our dogs, so again in the sameway as its right for you to do what you feel best for your dogs so it is for us to do what we feel best for ours.

Rescues have a hard enough job as it is seriously. We want people to want our dogs and this isnt aimed here but are constantly barraged with we should feel greatful that people want our *rescues* other peoples cast offs and it isnt like that. We know and love all our dogs in the same way as you do yours. Just because we say a certain dog isnt suitable isnt because we dont like you, think your a bad home, or irresponsible owner its because we genuinally believe that its not the right home for our dog.

Pip has a very good reputation she is a good rehomer. Maybe the inferance that Eric would be better of with his breeder was as insulting to her as the breeder felt it was described the other way around. :flowers:

Just trying to stick up for us mortals who run rescues here non of us are perfect or above reproach as im sure is anybody else nobody is perfect but I hope we do what we do with the dogs best interests at heart even if others dont feel its always obvious.

Right will crawl back under my rock now and hope I havent offended anyone as it truly wasnt meant that way. :oops:

and now im double going to stick my head under a rock because I just saw how old this thread was :lol: Told you it was late and I was tired! :wacko:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back