The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Photography Tip's For K9ers

billyboy45

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Thought it would be a good thing for all K9ers to benefit from the more experienced people on here,who could learn us all a thing or 2.Or if anyone has just happened on summit,that made all the difference to their pix.Im sure all us click happy amature's would love to know about it.

:blink: Can anyone tell me how to make a photo into an avatar? My pics on

photobucket are still too big even though Ive resized it :sweating:

littlenell said:
:blink: Can anyone tell me how to make a photo into an avatar? My pics onphotobucket are still too big even though Ive resized it :sweating:

Go to your photo on photobucket and click edit, you'll get the option to resize to 4 different sizes one of them being avatar. :thumbsup:

As for tips Billy:

1. Read the manual

2. You must learn about ISO, Apertures, Shutter speeds and how one will effect another, I can't stress this enough.

3. Read some books on photography or subscribe to one of the brilliant digital camera magazines or join a club.

4. Take LOADS of photos BUT, look at your good shots, refer to their properties and make a note of the weather conditions and circumstances of your photos. Also look at your bad ones in the same way and you should be able to account for why they're bad.

5. Stick with one lens while you do this, lens's have comfortable areas where you get your best shots. When your thoroughly familiar with one you should be better able to make a sensible purchase because you should know exactly what you need when it comes to your next lens.

I know my reply isn't very helpful but it's what works for me, others will have their own tips. :thumbsup:

It should work? Just tried it with the pik below. Is it confirming the photo has been resized?

29.jpg

billyboy45 said:
Thought it would be a good thing for all K9ers to benefit from the more experienced people on here,who could learn us all a thing or 2.Or if anyone has just happened on summit,that made all the difference to their pix.Im sure all us click happy amature's would love to know about it.
Times ive gone out Billy with the camera but left the battery on charge, :lol:

First of all you have to know your camera's limits don't expect too much from a £100 point and press. You certainly won't get good action shots from one of these camera's as they are far too slow to focus. However you can still get excellent still shots.

You also need to have an eye for a good photo i.e look at the back ground etc and also practice practice and practice. You can't take too many photo's with a digital camera and as mentioned in a prevous post if your camera allows manual settings have a play with the settings and make a note of the settings of the pictures that have turned out good.

IMO you only get what you pay for with digital camera's i use a canon eos 30d with the canon L series lenses. I find this great for taking action shots of the whippets racing and working.

Make sure your camera card is in the camera before you set off...unlike me yesterday when I went to the forest. :b

Consider the Golden Section when composing your shots.

Tee hee, no I had no idea what the Golden Section was either when my art teacher first said it to me - she wasn't very good at explaining it though and the dialogue that followed culminated in me actually stamping my foot and saying " Helen, I am neither unintelligent nor inarticulate - if I don't understand what you are saying then simply repeating it in a posher voice is not going to help". Our relationship slid rapidly downhill from this point on :D

anyway, I digress

composition: pictures look more interesting if the subject isn't slap bang in the middle - if you think about the frame having 2 vertical lines - one 1/3 the way in from the left and the other 1/3 the way in from the right

and 2 horizontal lines - one 1/3 from the top and the other 1/3 from the bottom

Aim to put your focal points (the interesting bits!) where these lines cross - that's the Golden Section :thumbsup:

so its not just point and press the button then charlie ?????!!!! :teehee:

urchin said:

composition: pictures look more interesting if the subject isn't slap bang in the middle - if you think about the frame having 2 vertical lines - one 1/3 the way in from the left and the other 1/3 the way in from the right

Aim to put your focal points (the interesting bits!) where these lines cross - that's the Golden Section  :thumbsup:

Also known as the rule of thirds...and one of the most important elements of composing a well balanced, landscape picture. That's why cropping your pictures is so important. :)

Also don't take photos in the middle of a hot summer's day. They'll have strong shadows, and will be washed out. Early mornings (incl sunrise), evenings (incl. sunset), thundery, showery days (where the sun pops out just after a heavy shower), and autumn are all the best times for well lit shots. :)

Nicola said:
urchin said:

Aim to put your focal points (the interesting bits!) where these lines cross - that's the Golden Section  :thumbsup:

Also known as the rule of thirds...and one of the most important elements of composing a well balanced, landscape picture. That's why cropping your pictures is so important. :)

Also don't take photos in the middle of a hot summer's day. They'll have strong shadows, and will be washed out. Early mornings (incl sunrise), evenings (incl. sunset), thundery, showery days (where the sun pops out just after a heavy shower), and autumn are all the best times for well lit shots. :)

meant to add - these are good tips for landscape photos.

Nicola said:
You see! I knew it had to have a simple name!

blummin arty farty types :teehee:

wild whippies said:
littlenell said:
:blink: Can anyone tell me how to make a photo into an avatar? My pics onphotobucket are still too big even though Ive resized it :sweating:

Go to your photo on photobucket and click edit, you'll get the option to resize to 4 different sizes one of them being avatar. :thumbsup:

As for tips Billy:

1. Read the manual

2. You must learn about ISO, Apertures, Shutter speeds and how one will effect another, I can't stress this enough.

3. Read some books on photography or subscribe to one of the brilliant digital camera magazines or join a club.

4. Take LOADS of photos BUT, look at your good shots, refer to their properties and make a note of the weather conditions and circumstances of your photos. Also look at your bad ones in the same way and you should be able to account for why they're bad.

5. Stick with one lens while you do this, lens's have comfortable areas where you get your best shots. When your thoroughly familiar with one you should be better able to make a sensible purchase because you should know exactly what you need when it comes to your next lens.

I know my reply isn't very helpful but it's what works for me, others will have their own tips. :thumbsup:

Can i just say,that the bit about taling note's about propertie's n stuff realy work;s,as this advice was given me by Jaq,quite a while ago,and i have paid heed to these thing's as often as ive remembered.I think my pix have improved greatly.Iam now doing Manual setting's,and these note's are a must. :cheers: Jaq,for those tip's back then. ...Billy...

urchin said:
Tee hee, no I had no idea what the Golden Section was either when my art teacher first said it to me - she wasn't very good at explaining it though and the dialogue that followed culminated in me actually stamping my foot and saying " Helen, I am neither unintelligent nor inarticulate - if I don't understand what you are saying then simply repeating it in a posher voice is not going to help". Our relationship slid rapidly downhill from this point on  :D

anyway, I digress

Which button do I press on my camera to make the vertical & horizontal lines appear? :wacko: :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back