The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Please someone give me advice!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Has the vet suggested tests to look for a cause other than diet?

I don't know what the risks are with raw feeding when you have young children. I suspect any information you find on the internet will either be opinion, anecdote, or 'theoretical risk', but of course you do have to err on the side of safety with children.

Fish4Dogs has a good reputation.

Are you afraid the dog will lick the kids after eating or something? Do you not buy raw meats at all? bacon, sausages, turkey at christmas perhaps? Life is a balance, nothing is perfect, the risks of Salmonella are low these days. :)

The live yoghurt over the counter is possibly cheaper than the vet making many bucks from u?......
Prokolin is more expensive than yoghurt regardless of where you buy it. I use it for a quick fix for a runny bottom, with yoghurt more as a maintenance dose or to firm slightly loose poo rather than full blown diarrhoea.

Are you afraid the dog will lick the kids after eating or something? Do you not buy raw meats at all? bacon, sausages, turkey at christmas perhaps? Life is a balance, nothing is perfect, the risks of Salmonella are low these days. :)

As I said, I don't know what the risks are, so I wouldn't tell everyone the risk isn't worth worrying about. If I've handled raw meat, I'll wash my hands and clean surfaces after. But if a dog eats raw meat, he doesn't wash his mouth thoroughly after, and then he may lick a child on the face, or the child may play fetch with the dog and then touch their mouth, so there's a clear transmission route of raw meat from the dog's mouth to the child's. As for the level of risk - my point is that decent scientific research to quantify this is unlikely to be easy to find, even if it exists.

As I said, I don't know what the risks are, so I wouldn't tell everyone the risk isn't worth worrying about. If I've handled raw meat, I'll wash my hands and clean surfaces after. But if a dog eats raw meat, he doesn't wash his mouth thoroughly after, and then he may lick a child on the face, or the child may play fetch with the dog and then touch their mouth, so there's a clear transmission route of raw meat from the dog's mouth to the child's. As for the level of risk - my point is that decent scientific research to quantify this is unlikely to be easy to find, even if it exists.

I am not sure about this of course, but I believe it is transmitted from faeces to mouth and not mouth to mouth? IF that is the case, then clearing up well after droppings of faeces would surely be the answer?

I am not sure about this of course, but I believe it is transmitted from faeces to mouth and not mouth to mouth? IF that is the case, then clearing up well after droppings of faeces would surely be the answer?

I'm not specifically thinking of salmonella. Put it this way - if you'd chopped up raw meat on a chopping board, would you lick the chopping board without washing it? No - so getting a Frenchie from a dog who has just eaten raw isn't the most pleasant thing.

It's true, though, that dogs also lick their bums and then lick humans, so there's a degree of risk there regardless of whether they're raw fed. And dogs and children have coexisted for millennia with, I imagine, very few recorded cases of the children falling ill because of transmission of germs from the dog.

My concern about that article (and at this stage, I haven't read it all) is that the opening statement is ”Salmonella, along with rabies is a very unique disease: it can affect both humans and dogs. No other known diseases can do that.”

That isn't right, I can think of several off the top of my head (campylobacter, leptospirosis, ringworm, parvo) and these are just ones that can spread between dogs and humans. If you wanted to be pedantic about the language used which just says diseases that affect both, you could also list cancer, Cushing's, diabetes, Addison's, dementia - and goodness knows how many more.

Hello I posted maybe a week ago regarding my saluki puppy having a upset tummy she's been home 3 weeks and she's pretty much had a bad tummy most days apart from when being on chicken and rice. Spoke to the vet numerous times and she's on pro kolin. Every time we introduce dry food again she has a bad tummy straight away. On the vets instructions I've tried different foods it's like nothing agrees with her. Some days I'm picking up 10 poos which is hard as she eats it so I have to watch her outside constantly! Now the vet has advice a dry food that is fish flavor. Does anyone have any reccomended food? Weve tired a really good food which hasn't helped a lower brand which hasn't helped and chappy which hasn't either. Spoke with the breeder and he suggested Dr John and thats went straight through her. Please help! Sorry for the long post.

Changing food can quickly upset a dog's stomach. This always happens with our bulldog (Monty). Dogs can also become allergic to certain foods as they get older. Monty used to be fine with chicken and beef, but now at the age of 2 he can't eat them. We found this out from him having an upset tummy and the inside of his paws and ears being red. He would also chew his paws due to them itching. Even the best foods can contain fish and chicken stock. Even the best dog foods can contain colours, additives and ingredients that can irritate your dog's tummy. Has a vet tested your dog to see if she has any food allergies?

”Salmonella, along with rabies is a very unique disease: it can affect both humans and dogs. No other known diseases can do that.”

Apart from the execrable grammar (how can anything be "very unique"?) this shows you the level of knowledge. Therefore read it for entertainment but be sure it isn't truth.

I'm not specifically thinking of salmonella. Put it this way - if you'd chopped up raw meat on a chopping board, would you lick the chopping board without washing it? No - so getting a Frenchie from a dog who has just eaten raw isn't the most pleasant thing.

It's true, though, that dogs also lick their bums and then lick humans, so there's a degree of risk there regardless of whether they're raw fed. And dogs and children have coexisted for millennia with, I imagine, very few recorded cases of the children falling ill because of transmission of germs from the dog.

Yes JudyN, you are correct various transmissible and very dangerous stuff is transferred from dogs, clostridium, Leptospirosis for example and not contracted from raw meat. Good hygiene is imperative - kids are the worst offenders! LOL Bless them!

”Salmonella, along with rabies is a very unique disease: it can affect both humans and dogs. No other known diseases can do that.”

Apart from the execrable grammar (how can anything be "very unique"?) this shows you the level of knowledge. Therefore read it for entertainment but be sure it isn't truth.
Good grief, there’s a first - “execrable grammar”. Never expected to see that on Dog Forum. Respect to you, Hemlock. However I’m mindful of alienating certain individuals on the site. Power to your pen.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back