The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pulled something unusual out of my dogs skin

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Is the rounded part at the top right part of the thing or part of his skin?

Is the rounded part at the top right part of the thing or part of his skin?

Thats like his skin and then the thing is coming out of his skin? Here is another 2 pictures of it if these are any help!
received_141169703248968.jpeg
received_141169779915627.jpeg

I'm with @JudyN on this, I think I'd be getting a vet check. I didn't realise it was under the skin at first. Some flies do, I believe, lay eggs under the skin of mammals so gross as it sounds, it looks like it could be some sort of a parasite like that.

@JudyN @JoanneF I think that's the plan don't want to take any chances although do you think the thing on his neck and the thing we pulled out of his shoulder is the same thing?

Bot files lay their eggs on a hosts hair, the host grooms itself by licking and the eggs are ingested. The eggs hatch and work their way through the body and grow just under the skin. When the bot pupae is ready to hatch it will emerge through a small hole in the skin. !!!
I don't know if they can affect dogs.

I still think maybe some kind of tic. It's rare for flies to be active in winter but any warmish wet weather can activate tics. But agree with everybody else in that only a vet can diagnose. And you don't want an abscess forming at the site.:(

Bot flies lay their eggs in the summer, it quiet probably is not a bot! It does not look like a tick either.
I agree with the others , get the vet to have a look

Thanks for your replies everyone I think we are all agreed that I need to take the boy to the vet. Will keep you posted and if anyone comes across and knows what this is please let us know

bathe the affected area with half a teaspoon of salt with half a mug of water then take the dog to the vets

Funnily enough I came across someone with a similar issue online earlier - Google 'Canine Cutaneous Horn' images and see if you think that's a possibility.

Please Megan put us out of our misery when you get a diagnosis! Good luck to your dog.;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back