The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pup still wet at night.

Cariad

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Pup is five months old, sleeps in her own bed next to older dog. She is still wetting during the night. We have tried getting up at odd hours through the night but her wee times are not consistent. She always asks to go out during the day and rarely, if ever, has accidents in the house. Mind you we do keep a close eye on her.
We are ex puppy walkers for Guide dogs so have had a number of pups pass through our hands but never had this problem. Please don’t say she should be crated as we tried that and it didn’t work. She was so stressed and just wanted to be with our older dog. I am beginning to think there may be an underlying medical problem. Any suggestions please.

It could well be medical, its worth checking. Does she empty her bladder or just dribble a little?

Have you spoken to your vet as they can do multiple tests, I reccomend you have a consultation with the vet and see how things are...

Have you spoken to your vet as they can do multiple tests, I reccomend you have a consultation with the vet and see how things are...
Violet - Thank you. I was going to wait another month until she was 6 months old but you are right I will make an appointment soon.

Violet - Thank you. I was going to wait another month until she was 6 months old but you are right I will make an appointment soon.
Good, as there could be a lot of underlying problems.

among the issues that can cause unpredictable urination are UTIs, kidney problems, adhesions [bladder wall attached to the abdomen], a tipped or pouched bladder with a "pocket" that retains urine when the dog thinks it's empty, spasmodic bladder [involuntary contractions], & more.

Some can be controlled or eliminated by meds [ask for a culture of an occult urine-specimen; they can plant it in a Petrie dish & incubate it, to see if there are any specific, identifiable pathogens; then the vet won't be throwing randomly-chosen BROAD-SPECTRUM antibiotics at it, s/he will have a known species with known susceptibilities or resistance, & can choose a Rx that's apropos to that species].
Some require corrective surgery. // it all depends on what they find - an ultrasound can be a good starting point, to see what her internal organs look like.

- terry

among the issues that can cause unpredictable urination are UTIs, kidney problems, adhesions [bladder wall attached to the abdomen], a tipped or pouched bladder with a "pocket" that retains urine when the dog thinks it's empty, spasmodic bladder [involuntary contractions], & more.

Some can be controlled or eliminated by meds [ask for a culture of an occult urine-specimen; they can plant it in a Petrie dish & incubate it, to see if there are any specific, identifiable pathogens; then the vet won't be throwing randomly-chosen BROAD-SPECTRUM antibiotics at it, s/he will have a known species with known susceptibilities or resistance, & can choose a Rx that's apropos to that species].
Some require corrective surgery. // it all depends on what they find - an ultrasound can be a good starting point, to see what her internal organs look like.

- terry

Gosh. Thank you Terry for your comprehensive answer. I will look into those conditions. Very interesting.
Will keep you all posted if and when I get any answers.

Gosh. Thank you Terry for your comprehensive answer.
I will look into those conditions. Very interesting.
Will keep you all posted if and when I get any answers.

:) U're more than welcome, but really, it's not a 'comprehensive' list. :oops: It's just some of the things that i'm aware of, that can cause that issue - there are others! - that was stuff from memory.

- t

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back