The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Puppies in pubs

Discussion in 'Puppy Forum' started by Michele83, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Michele83

Michele83 New Member Registered

Hi all

I was wondering whether anyone had experiences taking their young puppies to pubs, and how it went?

I'd like my dog to be able to accompany me to pubs when she's older. I'll introduce her to the pub slowly of course, but I just wondered if anyone had any experience with this and what happened when you took yours :)

Violet Turner likes this.
  2. excuseme

excuseme Well-Known Member Registered

Our girls all come to the pub with us, but they have to take it in turn, they sit under the table while we eat and no one knows they are there. Our two puppies will start the sharing once they are sensible enough (goodness knows when that will be!:rolleyes: )

Josie, Sezzy and Violet Turner like this.
  3. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Well-Known Member Registered

Yes, most pubs allow dogs in but some can be iffy. We have took Olive in a dog friendly one and in a 'normal one' but if your dog is really well behaved maybe they could allow you in.

4. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

We've taken Jasper to pubs and generally it's been fine, but he developed a fear of pubs with 'bangy' doors - one banged door will turn him into a quivering wreck. He also likes to have his personal space respected, particularly by other dogs but also likes to sprawl so his personal space can be as large as some pub 'snugs' :D

You need her to be very reliably house trained as there will be so many interesting smells in the pub and be ready to leave if either she's not happy or she's being a pest to other pub goers.

leashedForLife likes this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

Check out www.doggiepubs.org.uk

I think I have said it before but training a good pub dog takes time and effort. There are no short cuts, you have to be prepared to put the hours in!

6. Michele83

Thanks all.

7. Nanny71

Nanny71 Well-Known Member Registered

Dudley started coming to the pub with me at six months. Our local pub is very dog friendly. Several mornings a week the dog walkers retire to the pub for coffee.
    We took him one night when it was extremely busy and he was fine.
    On holiday we usually eat out in pubs and he lays under the table. Most pubs have water for the dogs also a lot of them bring them dog biscuits.

Michele83 likes this.
  8. Nanny71

Nanny71 Well-Known Member Registered

The sign in our lovely local says Dogs welcome. People tolerated
    That really says it all

arealhuman, Josie, Biker John and 2 others like this.
  9. merlina

merlina Well-Known Member Registered

Our local says Dogs welcome- and well-behaved children on leads!

10. Mad Murphy

Mad Murphy Well-Known Member Registered

We just built our own pub at home saves all the bother and its much closer when you need to stagger home to bed!
    DSCN3621.JPG

11. Caro Perry

Caro Perry Well-Known Member Registered

Harri had his first trip to the pub as soon as his vaccinations were completed and went weekly for a couple of months. At first he sat on my lap just taking in the sights and basking in all the attention he got. When he got too big for my lap he went on the floor by my feet.

He’s now perfectly pub trained and just naps under the table

12. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

Whilst we were in Italy we went to a bar that opened onto a main street and they had a bar dog called ‘Guiness’ He was a very handsome black Labrador.
    He was so well behaved and spent his time traveling between the tables and trying to pinch ice cubes!

13. Peegee

Peegee Active Member Registered

We started taking Evie into pubs when she was quite young. Not for too long to start with and always after a good walk. We would also give her a healthy chew to munch on. She's now two and no trouble at all when we take her in pubs. She'll settle on the floor, although prefers to be able to see who's coming and going. She no longer has a chew but I still occasionally drop a treat for her if she's lying quietly.

14. Michele83

Thanks Caro, Josie, Peegee - that's really helpful. I think I'll try the little and often approach as soon as she's had her second jabs.