The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Raw Chicken Wings

anslinmcg

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have got some fresh chicken wings from Tescos today. (Reduced :- " )

1. Can I give them to the dogs?

2. Can I give them ones that have been frozen, but are now defrosted?

3. Can I give them raw beef bones eg knuckle bones?

Sorry if these sound stupid, but I know I have read people giving their dogs raw chicken bones - just don't want to poision them......... :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my Chicken Wings come from Asda, so YES Id say and YES again. :thumbsup: as long as they have been frozen first was the advice I was given on K9.

Mine have a couple each on a morning for brekky or at lunchtime. :cheers: Kobi would eat the lot if he got the chance. and YES again to the BONES (think its personal choice really for most people)

[SIZE=14pt]The only thing i have given my dog is....[/SIZE]

1) Tinned dog food - made her fart bad :x

2) Complete dry food, Bakers :D

3) Rib bones, cooked for her to chew :- "

Im not sure about this raw food thing, but some people swear by it

Janimal said:
Well my Chicken Wings come from Asda, so YES Id say and YES again. :thumbsup:   as long as they have been frozen first was the advice I was given on K9.
Mine have a couple each on a morning for brekky or at lunchtime. :cheers:   Kobi would eat the lot if he got the chance.  and YES again to the BONES (think its personal choice really for most people)

[SIZE=14pt]Why do they have to be frozen and then defrosted???[/SIZE] :unsure:

If at all worried if you go online and look up BARFD (Bones and Raw Food Diet)

there is plenty to read about it all. :thumbsup:

well salmonella is one problem - can quite remember the other one (Alfynn is a good one for this )

heres a link for you

Bones and Raw Food

oh and forgot to mention Raw Tripe too - Brilliant for them.

Yes to the chicken wings,mine love em :D I don't give mine bones, no particular reason, but I believe you can as long as they are raw because cooked ones can splinter :thumbsup:

You won't poison them a lot of people feed raw meat too, and after all dogs would once have lived on only raw meat, when I was younger I always thought if you fed a dog raw meat it turned it savage :b

Janimal said:
If at all worried if you go online and look up BARFD (Bones and Raw Food Diet)there is plenty to read about it all. :thumbsup:

well salmonella is one problem - can quite remember the other one (Alfynn is a good one for this )

I think it's probably better to freeze first to kill bacteria but I thought it was just beef Janis where it is a must can't remember the name of that thing they can get from it :unsure:

Took this from the FAQ

Thanks to Beejay :thumbsup:

Neospora is a parasite that is ingested from contaminted meat, that is fresh, and from the consumption it only takes 1-3 days for the parasite to attack the brain, then work its way down the spinal cord, and infect all the major organs and mussles.......leaving the dog paralised and blind.....

I was in the middle of putting the link up for FAQ and I got cut off :( Thanks Lesley.

3) Rib bones, cooked for her to chew
Cooked ribs for Tilly to gnaw on doesn't sound too good - cooked bones can shatter into razor-sharp shards. Give them to her raw, she'll love them and gnawing them (and wrestling with them!) will give her neck and shoulders a good work out :thumbsup:

Raw food is a great diet! Dogs have evolved for thousands of years catching and eating wild things - don't think they had the where-with-all to strike up a camp fire to cook and mince their rabbit or whatever :lol: :clown:

Janis - I heard recently that the chicken wings didn't have to be frozen first but could be fed fresh because Neospora doesn't live in chicken. Not heard about the salmonella so thanks for the heads-up :thumbsup: I'm going to look into that. Can salmonella affect dogs?? :unsure:

Not absolutely certain of the answer to that one Helen but heres a link on Salmonella ... I hear that word every day in my job (wash hands children, wash hands again children and again)

Salmonella

and this one too

Vetsinfofordodgs

I give my dogs both chicken wings and chicken necks. It is absolutely imperative for healthy teeth. Nobody over in UK ever mention necks, maybe you cannot get them? The wings do not have bones hard enough to worry about, but the neck do not have bones at all.. In any case the chooks are slaughtered very young nowadays so their bones are very soft. Cooking will make them harder, sharper and more difficult to digest. Dog's digestive system is made for digesting raw food, bones including.

As far as salmonela goes, I buy my animal meat from a butcher, i keep it as i would our meat. Actually, it is not the bactirium that makes you ill, it is a toxin which it produces. Cooking may kill the salmonela, but it will not remove the toxin.

Lida

Seraphina said:
I give my dogs both chicken wings and chicken necks.  It is absolutely imperative for healthy teeth.  Nobody over in UK ever mention necks, maybe you cannot get them?  The wings do not have bones hard enough to worry about, but the neck do not have bones at all..  In any case the chooks are slaughtered very young nowadays so their bones are very soft.  Cooking will make them harder, sharper and more difficult to digest.  Dog's digestive system is made for digesting raw food, bones including. As far as salmonela goes, I buy my animal meat from a butcher, i keep it as i would our meat.  Actually, it is not the bactirium that makes you ill, it is a toxin which it produces.  Cooking may kill the salmonela, but it will not remove the toxin. 

Lida

I don't know if we can get necks here Lida but I've never seen any, tends to be wings only in the supermarket

hi , i definetly would not give my dogs raw chicken unless i new for sure it was fresh , i know of two dogs that have died from eating chicken with salmonela .

so i wouldent risk it .

Lida, chickens most definitely have bones in their necks. Little though they are, they're still there. Otherwise the poor little chookies would walk around dragging their heads in the mud...or whatever.

I read somewhere that all animals have 7 vertebrae in their necks, even giraffes.

Linda

kirislin said:
Otherwise the poor little chookies would walk around dragging their heads in the mud...or whatever.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: Sorry, have just visualized this :teehee:

Someone occasionally got chicken necks for my dogs but I'm not sure where from. They absolutely loved them!! :thumbsup:

oliverpliers said:
Someone occasionally got chicken necks for my dogs but I'm not sure where from. They absolutely loved them!! :thumbsup:

mmmmmm possibly from maybe a chicken mm..... :- " :- " :lol:

You get the neck with turkey when you buy it whole, and Josie just LOVED the turkey neck I gave her at Christmas. Looked revolting, mind you :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back