The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ronnie is always hungry

Discussion in 'Dog Food and Diet' started by niamh123, Jun 24, 2020.

1. niamh123

niamh123 Well-Known Member Registered

Ronnie will be 13 weeks old on Saturday he is growing really well and gaining about 1.3kg a week he has grown just over 5 inches in height since we brought him home.when we brought him home he weighed 6.2kg as of yesterday he weighed 11.1kg:)
    He is having 9% of his bodyweight per day I tried 8% but he was starving,he has a variety of proteins and RMB plus he has Acana grain free for training treats.I have had to buy him a slow feeder bowl as apart from his RMB's he was eating his food in seconds,his poo's are great and he was wormed with Panacur at the start of last week:) the problem is that he is constantly hungry if we open the fridge door he gets in a frenzy
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

2. Store
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

What about raw carrot to give him some bulk without many calories?

4. excuseme

excuseme Well-Known Member Registered

If his body condition is good and he has a healthy appetite, (even wanting more:eek:) this is healthy. He obviously likes what you are feeding him:rolleyes:. You know what his body should look like, don't panic and don't give in to his pleading for more. Of course don't forget, you can always top up with a few sensible vegetables :oops: Enjoy.

Biker John and niamh123 like this.
  5. niamh123

He has raw carrots,Broccoli etc but he is still always hungry:)

6. Tinytom

Tinytom Member Registered

What about pureed sweet potatoes and butter nut squash ..I blanch them and then puree them up ...

niamh123 likes this.
  7. Buddy1

Buddy1 Active Member Registered

I know you’ve had a curly coated retriever before, so I am guessing the ‘food obsession’ / ‘permanently acting as if they are starving’ isn’t just a breed trait as in FCR and a lot of labs?

niamh123 likes this.
  8. Finsky

Finsky Well-Known Member Registered

You could also try to slow the eating down to give his brain time to register that there is something in his tummy after all. Maybe by giving his share of the meals in bit and pieces rather than in one lot that is hoovered down in instant would give little more food satisfaction? Do you give any raw soft bones at all?

niamh123 likes this.
  9. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

It might be that this will get better when he realises that there are 'food times' and times when food isn't going to happen. A dog might appear to be - and think that he is - half-starved and ravenous when he thinks there's a chance of food, but then can switch of from feeling desperate for food when it's not 'food time'.

10. niamh123

No CCR have I had in my life has ever been like Ronnie where food is concerned:)
    Yes he has bones he gets breast of lamb,chicken wings ,neck's and chicken backs he also has duck necks and pork ribs:)
    I hope he does start to realise he gets fed on a regular basis and his meal isn't going to be his last:)
    The slow feeder bowl has helped it now takes him around 4-5mins to eat his food instead of 30 seconds:)

Finsky likes this.
  11. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

How about using a kong? Could even freeze it so it takes longer for him to get it out?
    Might make him feel he’s eating more of it takes longer

niamh123 and Finsky like this.
  12. Ari_RR

Ari_RR Well-Known Member Registered

He is always hungry - but aren’t they all? :)
    I think the problem might be that he goes crazy when the refrigerator door is open, which is a training issue, not a matter of food amount. If he looks fine and has energy - you are feeding him enough.
    With that, the training task is just to develop a different reaction to opening the refrigerator.....

niamh123 likes this.