The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sadly Merlin Is Getting Worse

GreyKnight

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello everyone

This is a bit of a "get it off my chest" thread I'm afraid. I just wanted to post up that despite my later postings in my last thread here my 10 year old whippet Merlin has taken a turn for the worse over the past couple of weeks :( .

The vet says that it looks like a liver problem since he's not eating and has lost a lot of weight plus he's drooling a lot. He's already had a course of antibiotics and is currently on heart pills for a suspected heart murmur, but they haven't really made any difference. The vet says she can't go any further without scans/x-rays which would involve sedating Merlin again which we aren't willing to do since we feel it was the after effects of the sedation in his recent operation that triggered this deterioration. The vet says that this isn't unlikely, it may have upset a delicate balance.

So, at the moment he is very sleepy, he's trembling a bit and he won't touch food. I am resigned to the probability now that by tomorrow evening when I come home from work it is quite likely that my folks will have had him put to sleep.

I'm really very upset at the moment and I'm not sure what to do with myself, I've been on a long drive today for work and I was tearful all the way there and all the way back. I have that horrible feeling of there being a chapter in my life that's coming to a close and I so much don't want it to end...

Life sucks at times like this.

Graham

Am so sorry to hear this Graham - am thinking of you :(

i know what your going through,and im so sorry to hear about merlin.

theres nothing anyone could say to help,but make the most of today with merlin,because it will help you later.

thinking of you all at this time,just remember your never alone,theres always someone on hear to talk to.

Sorry to hear that Merlin is getting worse.

Try to make the most of the time you have left with him thinking of you at this time :huggles: to you both

Sorry very sorry to read this Graham. Thinking of you.

A very sad decision ... thinking of you and Merlin. :huggles:

So very sorry Graham. Thinking of you.

Thanks everyone. The decision has been made by our family that Merlin will be sent to sleep tomorrow morning.

He's currently lying on his back on the sofa with his legs in the air in his favourite position, you wouldn't know anything was wrong to look at him, but as soon as he gets up he looks terrible. It's sickening.

Now I've got to go to work tomorrow knowing what's going to happen while I'm away. I'm in charge at the office this week so I can't even phone in sick to be around for it... :(

Thinking of you and your family

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX :huggles:

sorry to hear about your merlin, my thoought are with you :huggles:

It is always hard when we have to say goodbye to one that has given unconditinal love for the duration of their life. You are doing the best by your little fella by not letting him suffer.

Thinking of you at this sad time, its never easy.

:'( poor merlin. i am truly heart sore for you all. just enjoy his last night, cherish the memories and in the darkest hour remember that by doing this you are doing him the greatest service of all :luck:

lalena said:
:'(   poor merlin. i am truly heart sore for you all. just enjoy his last night, cherish the memories and in the darkest hour remember that by doing this you are doing him the greatest service of all :luck:
Lovely post, you've articulated my wishes to Graham beautifully, Lalena.

Thinking of you and Merlin, GreyKnight :( He's a lucky whippet to have had a friend like you.

So very sorry for you all. God Bless Merlin

So sad for you, :'( many of us know exactly how you are feeling.

To let Merlin go now is the kindest thing you can do for him.

My thoughts are with you.

If it should be that I grow frail and weak

And pain does keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done

For this - the last battle - can't be won.

You will be sad I understand

But don't let grief then stay your hand.

For on this day, more than the rest

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,

You wouldn't want me to suffer so.

When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where my needs they'll tend,

Only, stay with me till the end.

And hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree

It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must now be you

Who has to decide this thing to do.

We've been so close - we two -these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Anon

:( :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking of you at this very sad time :'( :huggles:

my thoughts are with you all at this sad time.sadly, a lot of us have been there too. :( blessings,kris

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back