The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sadly Merlin Is Getting Worse

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our sincere thoughts are with you and your family Graham. Your K9 family will always be here for you if you need us.

Oh Beth, thank you for sending Graham those words

Jenny

Really sad to here about Merlin Graham - cant imagine what your going through but remenber the good times and try not to dwell too much on the present - your doing the right thing letting him go now.

All the best,

Dave

So sorry Graham and family :( God bless you Merlin and may you run forever carefree over Rainbow bridge. :huggles:

GreyKnight said:
Thanks everyone.  The decision has been made by our family that Merlin will be sent to sleep tomorrow morning.
He's currently lying on his back on the sofa with his legs in the air in his favourite position, you wouldn't know anything was wrong to look at him, but as soon as he gets up he looks terrible.  It's sickening.

Now I've got to go to work tomorrow knowing what's going to happen while I'm away.  I'm in charge at the office this week so I can't even phone in sick to be around for it...  :(

:huggles: Graham. I'll light a candle for Merlin tonight.

its the hardest but the right think to do as ud not want him to suffer..

A very hard decision to make but the right one. So very sorry that you are having to go through this. Cherish those memories, they'll always hold a special place in your heart. :(

I am so sorry to hear of this heartache that you are suffering at the moment. You are making the right decision for Merlin though.

Thinking of you lots :huggles:

Sleep Well Merlin

The right thing to do but so sad nevertheless. Thoughts to you and Merlin :huggles:

:huggles: from us too.

Thinking of you all and hoping Merlin goes to the bridge with ease. -_-

Thank you all very much for your words of support - I can't believe how hard this has been.

Merlin was put to sleep at around 10:00am this morning. In the end I rang in to the office and told them to cope without me today, I was in no mood to leave my boy at his time of greatest need.

The vet came around to the house and Merlin found the strength to bark as they came through the door, a guardian to the end. He lay on mums lap on the sofa in the living room while I held his paw and stroked his head and whispering to him. I think my last words to him were "Lets go for a walk boy". He slipped away very quickly and I'm so proud of him.

I'm feeling quite peaceful now, but still quite tearful along with the rest of the family. I'm absolutely certain that we did the right thing, I just know that Merlin is happy now and is still trotting around the house and garden on this lovely day.

Merlin is now buried next to our last whippet Pip and my brother's jack russel Trevor at the end of the garden. He' resting inside a sleeping bag we adapted for him years ago for use in the caravan with his favourite squeeky toy and his tennis ball next to him and with his head on one of my T-shirts.

God I'll miss him.

Rest in peace mate, lets go for that walk now...

[SIZE=21pt]RIP Merlin [/SIZE]

The Loss of a Heart-Dog

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep,

I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,

“It’s me, I haven’t left you, I’m well, I’m fine, I’m here.”

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,

You were thinking of the many times your hand reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore

I longed to take your parcels, I wished I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, you tend it with such care

I want to reassure you that I’m not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house as you fumbled for your key

I gently put my paws on you, I smiled and said “It’s me.”

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair

I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.

It’s possible for me to be so near you every day

To say to you with certainty, “I never went away”.

You sat there quietly then smiled, I think you knew

In the stillness of that evening I was very close to you.

The day is over … I smile and watch you yawning

And say, ‘Goodnight, God Bless, I’ll see you in the morning”.

And when the time is right for you to cross the great divide

I’ll rush across to greet you and we’ll stand side by side.

I’ve so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see

Be patient, live your journey out….then come home to be with me.

Poet unknown.

one of the bravest and hardest last things we can do for our dogs,and im sat hear sobbing having just read your update. thinking of you all.

R.I.P merlin

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back