The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

'sanctuary' Kills Thousands Of Greyhounds

YTarmy said:
I had a dog that did it's wrist and I took him to Leigh cats n dogs home and they put him to sleep for £35. No questions asked which suprised me.  I hope they dont get hounded out of this or we will end up with greyhounds losing their ears and being left at roadsides by some people.It's a very sad side to the sport

I'm alarmed by what I've just read. You say you took your dog (greyhound?) there to be pts because it had done it's wrist. Not familiar with the term "done it's wrist", but that sounds like it should be treatable. I am wondering why didn't you take the dog to a vet ?

mazza said:
YTarmy said:
I had a dog that did it's wrist and I took him to Leigh cats n dogs home and they put him to sleep for £35. No questions asked which suprised me.  I hope they dont get hounded out of this or we will end up with greyhounds losing their ears and being left at roadsides by some people.It's a very sad side to the sport

I'm alarmed by what I've just read. You say you took your dog (greyhound?) there to be pts because it had done it's wrist. Not familiar with the term "done it's wrist", but that sounds like it should be treatable. I am wondering why didn't you take the dog to a vet ?

They are PTS because they are a dispoable commodity - not worth spending the money on.

These people have no love for the dogs, they just use them for "sport."

Strike Whippets said:
YTarmy said:

I agree totally ......its sad, but its better for unwanted Greyhounds and other dogs to be pts rather than to experince the other ways of dealing with them :( ........not that i'm saying Greyhound trainers/owners etc are like this, but theres always a few bad uns :(

totally agree strike

jools said:
mazza said:
YTarmy said:

They are PTS because they are a dispoable commodity - not worth spending the money on.

These people have no love for the dogs, they just use them for "sport."

You can not tar everyone with the same brush... i have plenty of friends who race greyhounds who adore their dogs & do home them after their racing... i for 1 have 4 at home, all loved & very much part of my family ~ my home wouldnt be the same without them...

I did not intend that comment for everyone, I know that most of you love your dogs as much as I love mine. The comment was meant for the ones that get rid of them when they can't run anymore, or when they aren't winning.

I'm sorry it came across wrongly. :thumbsup:

No, not all racing greyhound owners should be tarred with the same brush, I'm sure there are some good people in this industry that would do anything to keep their dogs happy and healthy.

It's a shame that the THOUSANDS OF GREYHOUNDS disposed of each year are owned by a FEW bad apples.

Now that just doesn't add up!

Last edited by a moderator:
you're right mazza,it doesnt add up at all. :thumbsup: all these good owners who keep their dogs even if they arent winning. :- " so just who are these few people who put their dogs to sleep when theyve done their wrist in? :angry: and if theres so many good owners how come theres thousands of dogs put to sleep all the time? :- "

mazza said:
YTarmy said:

If the injury had been treatable i would of had the op done, The wrist was that bad the dog couldnt even be a pet. He was in such distress and we spent along time getting over what happened along with the thought of packing in the dogs all together.

I walk my dog/s in all weather and do all i can to provide a great HOME and these decisions do not come easy. The cost sometimes plays a part as vets are to expensive and owners don't want to pay so what can you do? Maybe insurance for racing dogs etc etc but until then this will happen.

Feel free to comment but it tore my heart out that day

YTarmy said:
mazza said:
YTarmy said:

If the injury had been treatable i would of had the op done, The wrist was that bad the dog couldnt even be a pet. He was in such distress and we spent along time getting over what happened along with the thought of packing in the dogs all together.

I walk my dog/s in all weather and do all i can to provide a great HOME and these decisions do not come easy. The cost sometimes plays a part as vets are to expensive and owners don't want to pay so what can you do? Maybe insurance for racing dogs etc etc but until then this will happen.

sems like a typical greyhound owner/racer "get out clause"................

SHAME ON YOU

an op wouldve kept the dog mobile then re-homed wouldve been your biggest worry !!

feel free to reply to mine john

stormydog said:
YTarmy said:
mazza said:
YTarmy said:

sems like a typical greyhound owner/racer "get out clause"................

SHAME ON YOU

an op wouldve kept the dog mobile then re-homed wouldve been your biggest worry !!

feel free to reply to mine john

I can only say that with the knowledge i have and havingseen the dog that the only option to me for his sake was to have him put to sleep.

Anybody who comes on here must love Greyhounds or you wouldnt bother.

I've know somebody put down 6 dogs as he lost his driving licence, I've recently seen 3 pups PTS because they wouldnt chase in races and I am not like hese people, I have 1 dog at most 2 and give my all to caring/loving and looking after he/she so dont lecture me on something you never saw

call me "mr marple" but strange how not long ago you were looking to rehome a greyhound due to split in relationship. you had nowhere to keep your dog......

VERRRRRYYYYY SUSPICIOUS...........

oh i dunno eh ?

Just a question, if the injury was so severe that the vet told you it would have a poor quality of life even as a pet, why did they not PTS there and then? Surely taking the dog home and then on to Leigh would of stressed the dog further? I'm not making a judgment here as I suppose it could be feasible that this happened trackside and facilities weren't available?

Stormy in regards to Ytarmy's other greyhound he managed to get a relative to mind his dog for a week and has since moved into it's new home, glad things worked out Ytarmy.

I never asked a vet, A chap i knew who had been in the game for 40 years came to see the dog the morning after the race. He said it was the worst wrist injury he had seen and that it was shattered. The best thing to do was to take the dog and have him pts.

Also 'Mr Marple' or Mr 2+2=26 as i prefer to call it. I left the home I was in but the one I was moving into to rent wasnt ready. I therefor booked into the Last Drop hotel in Bolton but couldnt take the Sal. After much searching all got sorted and we have now moved and 'Sal' is here.

If you witch hunt someone who loves his dogs and made a decision that was very difficult like this then no wonder we can never have an open debate about it.

I agree the game sticks at after racing care but it's better now than it's ever been.

sorry,but i dont care if this guy has been in the breed for 100 years hes not a vet and cant make a diagnosis. :angry: that why its illegal to treat someones dog or to do what this guy did.if you couldnt afford to take the dog to a vet or couldnt be bothered then why have the dog in the first place. :( noone can make a diagnosis by looking not even a vet,that why they have bloody xrays.or wasnt the dog worth an x ray? :(

kris said:
sorry,but i dont care if this guy has been in the breed for 100 years hes not a vet and cant make a diagnosis. :angry: that why its illegal to treat someones dog or to do what this guy did.if you couldnt afford to take the dog to a vet or couldnt be bothered then why have the dog in the first place. :( noone can make a diagnosis by looking not even a vet,that why they have bloody xrays.or wasnt the dog worth an x ray? :(
The dog wasnt a pet so no I wasnt going to pay far an x-ray after I was told the wrist was shattered. The dog was a racing dog and the injury meant he couldnt race. I have 3 kids and work part time so therefor any expensive bills were out of the question hence asking a man who knows more than most people.

Please explain where I said i couldnt be bothered to take the dog or are you just making up your own bits :rant: .

It's wrong to kill an healthy animal weather it's a greyhound, rabbit ;) or rat.

sounds to me like you want to have your cake and eat it too.in one breath you say you loved your dog and it was the hardest decision to put him to sleep.in the next breaath your sayin it wasnt a pet it was a racing dog.

quote:

If the injury had been treatable i would of had the op done, The wrist was that bad the dog couldnt even be a pet. He was in such distress and we spent along time getting over what happened along with the thought of packing in the dogs all together.unquote

if you didnt want to go to the expense of an x ray how can you tell the injury was untreatable?or do you have x ray vision?

if you cant afford vets bills for your dogs then in my opinion YOU SHOULDNT HAVE A DOG. :angry: what happens if theyre ill?leigh cats and dogs home? :angry:

i cant believe your last comment.is this your attempt at sarcasm?

kris said:
sounds to me like you want to have your cake and eat it too.in one breath you say you loved your dog and it was the hardest decision to put him to sleep.in the next breaath your sayin it wasnt  a pet it was a racing dog.quote:

If the injury had been treatable i would of had the op done, The wrist was that bad the dog couldnt even be a pet. He was in such distress and we spent along time getting over what happened along with the thought of packing in the dogs all together.unquote

if you didnt want to go to the expense of an x ray how can you tell the injury was untreatable?or do you have x ray vision?

if you cant afford vets bills for your dogs then in my opinion YOU SHOULDNT HAVE A DOG.  :angry: what happens if theyre ill?leigh cats and dogs home? :angry:

Oh my god....... I have never said what I did was right nor have i tried to argue. In fact I have stated many times that killing animals is wrong. I wrote what happened and maybe what I did was wrong and maybe i should of called a vet but the fact is i didnt. If this happens again maybe my actions would be different but you dont want to know any of this, you just want to jump down my throat as if I'm some sort of mass greyhound muderer. to date I have had 7 dogs and 1 has been put down due to injury. Before you say it's 1 to many, i agree but again you will skim over that commeny. I will put it in capitals for you

WITH HINDSITE I MAY OF BEEN WRONG AND SHOULD OF GOT A VET. I'm not trying to justify anything and would happily go to Leigh to support any demo.

Go pick on someone else

mazza said:
No, not all racing greyhound owners should be tarred with the same brush, I'm sure there are some good people in this industry that would do anything to keep their dogs happy and healthy. It's a shame that the THOUSANDS OF GREYHOUNDS  disposed of each year are owned by a FEW bad apples.

Now that just doesn't add up!

I think that says it all really :( :(

YTarmy said:
kris said:
sounds to me like you want to have your cake and eat it too.in one breath you say you loved your dog and it was the hardest decision to put him to sleep.in the next breaath your sayin it wasnt  a pet it was a racing dog.quote:

if you cant afford vets bills for your dogs then in my opinion YOU SHOULDNT HAVE A DOG.  :angry: what happens if theyre ill?leigh cats and dogs home? :angry:

Oh my god....... I have never said what I did was right nor have i tried to argue. In fact I have stated many times that killing animals is wrong. I wrote what happened and maybe what I did was wrong and maybe i should of called a vet but the fact is i didnt. If this happens again maybe my actions would be different but you dont want to know any of this, you just want to jump down my throat as if I'm some sort of mass greyhound muderer. to date I have had 7 dogs and 1 has been put down due to injury. Before you say it's 1 to many, i agree but again you will skim over that commeny. I will put it in capitals for you

WITH HINDSITE I MAY OF BEEN WRONG AND SHOULD OF GOT A VET. I'm not trying to justify anything and would happily go to Leigh to support any demo.

Go pick on someone else

you'd happily go to leigh to support a demo!do you honestly realise the sarcasm of this remark?youd go to a demo thats against putting healthy greys to sleep when youve just done that! :blink: cant believe what im reading here :wacko: yes with hindsight you WERE wrong,and at least your conscience pricks you enough to admit that.im not picking on you, im against what youve done and i think its wrong. :( if you dont like my opinions then why post on here what youve done?did you expect everyone to pat you on the back and say well done?im not trying to be deliberately cruel i just think you took a really bad decision there and i cant understand anyone doing what youve done.if you couldnt afford to get the dog treated why didnt you contact the pdsa or one of the many grey charities?you just posted that the dog had an injury so you had him killed.without getting a vet to look at him or anything.just on the say so of a guy who told you the injury was untreatable.surely you dont expect folk to condone what you did?this is a site for dog lovers.not dog killers.if you post stuff like this then you can expect some people on here who will stand up and be counted and im one of them,sorry if you dont like it but hey,i can live with that.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back