The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Separation Anxiety

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A quick Google has thrown up this:

Average Rates. As a dog walker in the UK, you can expect to earn an average of £6 to £10 or more per dog for walks that last 30 minutes to an hour. But that said, these rates fluctuate greatly depending on your business overheads, the number of dogs you take per walk, and the number of hours you walk per day.

How Much Can You Expect to Earn Dog Walking | Dog Walking Business HQ

Last edited:
Ok thank you. I will try getting a dog walker.
That's good. Can I ask, do you think your parents are committed enough to put up with the inconveniences that any dog brings? This could be anything from mud on the furniture to barking enough to annoy the neighbours and a whole load more. Training a dog not to bark and not to go on the furniture takes time and a lot of patience - yelling at the dog because you've just mopped the floor or the cushions were new won't help. You will need them to be onside, and to be respectful of how you want to train the dog (which is hopefully with positive methods). Of course, you don't need to answer this - it's something you need to consider and to discuss with them.

Do you have any particular 'celebrity' trainers you particularly like or dislike? Some of the most prominent are actually pretty awful...

That's good. Can I ask, do you think your parents are committed enough to put up with the inconveniences that any dog brings? This could be anything from mud on the furniture to barking enough to annoy the neighbours and a whole load more. Training a dog not to bark and not to go on the furniture takes time and a lot of patience - yelling at the dog because you've just mopped the floor or the cushions were new won't help. You will need them to be onside, and to be respectful of how you want to train the dog (which is hopefully with positive methods). Of course, you don't need to answer this - it's something you need to consider and to discuss with them.

Do you have any particular 'celebrity' trainers you particularly like or dislike? Some of the most prominent are actually pretty awful...
My parents are fine with things like that, as long as I tell the dog that it's bad and try not to make it happen again. Barking isn't really a problem. Of course I will be respectul to the dog. My uncle let me take care of his yorkshire for a day as he my mum and my dad went out. It was a pretty chill day! The only guy I've been watching is Zak George's Dog Training rEvolution Other than that, I prefer reading articles,

My parents are fine with things like that, as long as I tell the dog that it's bad and try not to make it happen again. Barking isn't really a problem. Of course I will be respectul to the dog. My uncle let me take care of his yorkshire for a day as he my mum and my dad went out. It was a pretty chill day! The only guy I've been watching is Zak George's Dog Training rEvolution Other than that, I prefer reading articles,
Zac is an amazing trainer! :)

Zak George is a really good trainer. He wouldn't be right for every dog, as he's so exuberant. I watched a video of him a while back and could see that his lively style would go down really badly with my very sensitive lurcher and similar dogs who would need a much more low-key approach. So you do need to assess your dog and adjust your style accordingly, and that can be quite tricky for a new owner. (I didn't even realise my dog was sensitive for a long time!)

My parents are fine with things like that, as long as I tell the dog that it's bad and try not to make it happen again.

In general, telling a dog something they did is bad isn't effective. Either they don't know what you mean, or you'e being 'scary' and worrying them. Have a read of this and other articles on Victoria Stilwell's website, which will explain it much better than I can: https://positively.com/dog-training/positive-training/

@Violet Turner please can you specify where you got that information. Especially as you have just said you don’t use a walker yourself.

Zak George is a really good trainer. He wouldn't be right for every dog, as he's so exuberant. I watched a video of him a while back and could see that his lively style would go down really badly with my very sensitive lurcher and similar dogs who would need a much more low-key approach. So you do need to assess your dog and adjust your style accordingly, and that can be quite tricky for a new owner. (I didn't even realise my dog was sensitive for a long time!)

In general, telling a dog something they did is bad isn't effective. Either they don't know what you mean, or you'e being 'scary' and worrying them. Have a read of this and other articles on Victoria Stilwell's website, which will explain it much better than I can: Positive Training
Lol I didn't mean physically telling it that going on the couch is bad I mean doing things to stop it from happening again, like washing his paws before he comes in or things like that.

I also love Cesar Millan, and Victoria Stilwell! :)

Buut, their approaches are diametrically opposite! Please, please avoid Cesar Millan, and anyone who advises you that you need to be 'alpha' and the dog must understand that it is at the bottom of a pack hierarchy. It was founded on bad science which has since been shown to be incorrect, and Cesar's techniques can be very damaging. He trains through punishment, fear and coercion and has no idea about how to read dog body language. Dogs trained in this way are often shut down, doing what they're told because they have to, not because they want to. He himself has been badly bitten many times. I can say, hand on heart, that if I had used his methods on my dog, my dog would not be alive today and I would have scars. Yes, this is my opinion, but do please do your research.

Zac George's training for me is too much stage presence and what the "camera sees". His hands are all over the place which is poor body language and, as with many presenters, it's more about him than it is about the dog. Try and view some Nando Brown as contrast.

@Violet Turner have you seen the material that doesn't make the tv programmes where Cesar Milan hoists a dog by its choke chain until it goes unconscious; has an involuntary erection as the blood pressure has to go somewhere, and foams at the mouth? Or the one where he repeatedly tries to dominate a dog by punching it while removing it's food (think how you might feel if a stranger tried to take away your dinner in a restaurant) and then, with appalling lack of understanding, says "I didn't see that coming" when it quite understandably snaps? Do you know he has been banned from lecturing in Europe and was investigated by DEFRA?

Zac George's training for me is too much stage presence and what the "camera sees". His hands are all over the place which is poor body language and, as with many presenters, it's more about him than it is about the dog. Try and view some Nando Brown as contrast.

@Violet Turner have you seen the material that doesn't make the tv programmes where Cesar Milan hoists a dog by its choke chain until it goes unconscious; has an involuntary erection as the blood pressure has to go somewhere, and foams at the mouth? Or the one where he repeatedly tries to dominate a dog by punching it while removing it's food (think how you might feel if a stranger tried to take away your dinner in a restaurant) and then, with appalling lack of understanding, says "I didn't see that coming" when it quite understandably snaps? Do you know he has been banned from lecturing in Europe and was investigated by DEFRA?
Omg! I didn't know that i thought he actually rehabilitates dogs in a 'safe' way but obviously not! Thanks @JoanneF for that information! :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back