The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Separation Anxiety

Staffies are great dogs - nothing like their reputation (unless they've been badly bred/raised or abused of course). I'd definitely put them on your list of possibles.

Tbh to me, a staffie seems more suitable than a GSD for me. Considering I might move into an apartment.
its up to you and your family! but any dog can be suitable for an apartment.
You have said previously that your mum and dad have confirmed on a house?

In my experience Staffies are easier dogs than GSDs. GSDs can be quite nervy and not always great with strangers, whereas the Staffies I've met have been very steady dogs.

Do bear in mind, as you're on a limited budget, that smaller dogs are cheaper to feed than large ones!

Staffies typically have a high prey drive due to their terrier lineage and so are more commonly affected by dog-directed aggression, and animal aggression, or reactivity when compared with human aggression. They were bred to be incredibly people oriented.

Aggression in dogs is often driven by fear which is unbiased and can be felt by any dog of any breed and size.

Any dog can be lovely if you know what you're doing and you know roughly what is going on in your individual dogs mind. It takes a lot of practise and getting it wrong before you get it right and that's why I'd never recommend any first time dog owner to get a breed that should be taken on by more experienced handlers. You don't want to mess up with a dog who has a lot of power.

its up to you and your family! but any dog can be suitable for an apartment.
You have said previously that your mum and dad have confirmed on a house?
They looked at some schools and my school is in top 100 of all of Uk so we might move to an apartment thats really close to my school. All the ofsted on where we want to go is horrible, and the good one is overbooked.

Staffies typically have a high prey drive due to their terrier lineage and so are more commonly affected by dog-directed aggression, and animal aggression, or reactivity when compared with human aggression. They were bred to be incredibly people oriented.

Aggression in dogs is often driven by fear which is unbiased and can be felt by any dog of any breed and size.

Any dog can be lovely if you know what you're doing and you know roughly what is going on in your individual dogs mind. It takes a lot of practise and getting it wrong before you get it right and that's why I'd never recommend any first time dog owner to get a breed that should be taken on by more experienced handlers. You don't want to mess up with a dog who has a lot of power.
I read this https://iheartdogs.com/knowledge-ba...ire-bull-terriers-for-a-first-time-dog-owner/

They looked at some schools and my school is in top 100 of all of Uk so we might move to an apartment thats really close to my school. All the ofsted on where we want to go is horrible, and the good one is overbooked.
okay but the Ofsted is not always correct, some times but not always! :)

whoever designed their website, they don't spell well, & their grammar is a bit iffy. See here -

Pawbo

for those interested, the INSIDERS discount program is actually a draft for "influencers" - consumers who want to persuade others to buy the product - they sign up to both buy it, & then to proselytize about how wonderful it is, to help drive more sales.

More info here -
Like Pawbo with The Insiders

I don't know if they are interested in actual, factual reviews, or just promotional pablum from buyers who get their Pawbo for 35% off. :rolleyes: Frankly, i suspect it's the latter.

- terry

Hey, I want to update this post. I am currently looking at a range of other pets, mostly ferrets (which seems most likely) but I also would like to ask if a retired racing greyhound is suitable? I know that in their previous life they were mostly left alone (in some cases) so they should be fine alone, or something like a sbt with the pawbo @leashedForLife mentioned? I have also researched that greyhounds do not need as much exercise as a working class breed like gsd. If I do get a greyhound, it will 100% be adopted, as well as the sbt.

Ferrets make great pets, but they can be a bit whiffy if they live indoors. Have you thought about rats? I had a couple of males years ago and they're really friendly and intelligent - if I got up to leave the room they were out in they'd come over to me and climb all the way up to sit on my shoulders so they could come too.

Greyhounds can be prone to SA, but if you're going through a rescue they should know their dogs. I wouldn't recommend any dog if you have to leave it all day - yes, some people manage it and it seems to work, but it's never going to be ideal. If you could arrange a dog walker in the middle of the day though, they could be a very good match. Of course, the first step is to talk to rescue organisations - they might not be willing to let you have one if you're out all day, but may consider it if you commit to using a dog walker.

Greyhounds don't need a vast amount of walking each day, but they will benefit from more than is often recommended. I'd be thinking along the lines of at least half an hour morning and evening, and another half-hour in the middle of the day.

You might never be able to let a retired greyhound off lead as they've been trained to chase anything small and fluffy, including cats and small fluffy dogs.

Letting greyhounds on sofas is almost compulsory;) But don't worry, you'll be able to sit on the lovely comfy dog bed you bought thinking the dog would like it:D

Ferrets make great pets, but they can be a bit whiffy if they live indoors. Have you thought about rats? I had a couple of males years ago and they're really friendly and intelligent - if I got up to leave the room they were out in they'd come over to me and climb all the way up to sit on my shoulders so they could come too.

Greyhounds can be prone to SA, but if you're going through a rescue they should know their dogs. I wouldn't recommend any dog if you have to leave it all day - yes, some people manage it and it seems to work, but it's never going to be ideal. If you could arrange a dog walker in the middle of the day though, they could be a very good match. Of course, the first step is to talk to rescue organisations - they might not be willing to let you have one if you're out all day, but may consider it if you commit to using a dog walker.

Greyhounds don't need a vast amount of walking each day, but they will benefit from more than is often recommended. I'd be thinking along the lines of at least half an hour morning and evening, and another half-hour in the middle of the day.

You might never be able to let a retired greyhound off lead as they've been trained to chase anything small and fluffy, including cats and small fluffy dogs.

Letting greyhounds on sofas is almost compulsory;) But don't worry, you'll be able to sit on the lovely comfy dog bed you bought thinking the dog would like it:D
Thanks for the quick response but I am very scared of rats. I am really not scared of anything else.. spiders.. easy... bugs... easy.... Rats or mice and I book straight out of there. While I was studying for a test in a carvan, I could always hear the rats outside and I kid you not they were HUGE. One even got into the caravan and nearly NEARLY nipped my toe.. which is why Im pretty sure I will be terrified of rats for my whole life.

Dog walkers are also quite expensive.. Where I live they are around £10 at lowest price. If I do decide to get a dog, my family has decided to spend 8 months after we move in buying supplies and saving up. I will definitely get an interactive camera as well, so maybe I can sneak call my dogs during lunch and give them their own ;). Do you think a interactive camera would be able to substitute for a dog walker? As soon as I come home from school I'll be taking care of the dog and going out for walks. On the other hand, I have considered ferrets as they are not neurotic, as well as not being cage pets (except when sleeping) and I can play with them more than a simple hamster and not be terrified to death. I plan on getting 2 as well.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back