The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Separation Anxiety

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
If you're going to get a puppy from a breeder you can kind accredited breeders through the kennel club website.

There are a lot of puppies for 150, 200 or 250 for good looking puppies on gumtree.

A breeder who spends the money on health tests and proving the lines are a good addition to the breed isn't going to sell a puppy for £200.

So for now, adopting is a better idea for me?
On the basis of your other posts i would say waiting is a better option. Because buying a dog is just the start. You would need to factor in insurance (mine, for a mutt, is just over £600, annual vaccinations, food, contingencies, and dog walkers as you cannot leave a social animal alone all day without company, let alone toilet breaks.

As well as the risk of getting an unhealthy puppy from Gumtree and similar, you are also probably encouraging the barbaric practice of puppy farming. Even if you can visit the pup at home and see it with its mother, there's a good chance that the pup has never been in the house before and the 'mother' isn't even the pup's mother because its actual mother is locked up in a crate somewhere sitting in her own poo. So in my opinion, it is unethical to buy a puppy in this way.

Based on this, adoption would be the way to go - if you can afford everything that JoanneF mentions. But bear in mind that there are many adults who have longed for a dog but have had to wait for years, even decades, because the time wasn't right for them - this may not be the right time for you either. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get a dog - just that you need to know that you can afford it.

As well as the risk of getting an unhealthy puppy from Gumtree and similar, you are also probably encouraging the barbaric practice of puppy farming. Even if you can visit the pup at home and see it with its mother, there's a good chance that the pup has never been in the house before and the 'mother' isn't even the pup's mother because its actual mother is locked up in a crate somewhere sitting in her own poo. So in my opinion, it is unethical to buy a puppy in this way.

Based on this, adoption would be the way to go - if you can afford everything that JoanneF mentions. But bear in mind that there are many adults who have longed for a dog but have had to wait for years, even decades, because the time wasn't right for them - this may not be the right time for you either. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get a dog - just that you need to know that you can afford it.
Ok, thank you all for your help. If I adopt adog, I will be sure to update you all about how it goes!

One problem with my adoption centre is however, they don't let you "walk through" All you do is check em out online and contact them with the number supplied. No walking through and clicking

As I said most rescues will take details from you and then match you with the dog they think is best.

You could still get in touch with them and discuss your situation - or better, your parents get in touch as they will be ultimately responsible for the dog. If they are good they'll ask lots of questions. If they say 'Choose a dog, any dog...' they're not good!

I hope it works out for you:)

You need to think before buying from gumtree because the dogs are in such bad condition! i was reading this on netmums.com - the reason why you should never sell your animal on gumtree/preloved etc etc - Netmums Chat {How is your searching for a new pup going @BrianLovesAkitas ?
Hope you find your perfect pooch! :p
It's going ok. I've been looking at rescuing a bit and might just get the dog that nobody wants because it's "ugly" or "too big". I might call some breeders when I'm moving to check out their prices but I'm most likely gonna adopt.

It's going ok. I've been looking at rescuing a bit and might just get the dog that nobody wants because it's "ugly" or "too big". I might call some breeders when I'm moving to check out their prices but I'm most likely gonna adopt.
That's great news! Enjoy your new house! :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back