The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Show Question?.

Mark Roberts

The Ringmaster
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Ok, I've ponderd this for a while now?

when they write the show results up why does it say.

1st

2nd

3rd

Res

VHC

Why not

1st,

2nd,

3rd,

4th,

5th,

Res? ~ does that mean if it hadn't been for the other 3 it would of won? so basicly 4th? because there were 3 better (in the judges opinion) dogs there in the class.

VHC? (very Highly commended) now if the judge thought so highly of it why wasnt it placed 1st?

Res is there in case 1st, 2nd and 3rd are disqualified for one reason, thats why its called reserve, you only have to have the 4 places, but most societys choose to have the vhc

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh I gathered that.

BUT surely if they had a 4th place and the 1st three got disqaulified it would still be the winner? does any club/society use 4th place instead of reserve.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

questions questions :lol:

well i dont know the answer !!!!!!

maybe cos it sounds better than 4th or 5th (w00t)

maybe cos it sounds better than 4th or 5th
LOL

but doesnt it ponder the question doesnt it? has anyone ever actualy asked the powers that be either club officials or the Whippet Club/KC ?

I suppose it's a bit like the meaning of life question.

Mark Roberts said:
maybe cos it sounds better than 4th or 5th
LOL

but doesnt it ponder the question doesnt it? has anyone ever actualy asked the powers that be either club officials or the Whippet Club/KC ?

I suppose it's a bit like the meaning of life question.

but mark """ DOES IT MATTER """

LOL :p :p :p :p LOL

If they do use a 4th, they shouldnt cause it is as it say a RESERVE :- "

They use reserve and VHC so no one really knows you were 4th or 5th (w00t) :- "

It would be better if each dog was placed from Ist to 2nd last. (w00t) That way the last dog would be "res", just incase the other 25 or what ever were rubbed out. :cheers:

now were getting there,

so we all agree that 1st is 1st? :thumbsup:

but if 4th is reserve in case the other 3 get kicked out then surely 2nd should be 1st res? :blink:

so maybe it should be

1st = 1st

2nd = 1st res

3rd = 2nd res

4th = 3rd res

or

1st = 1st

2nd = res

3rd = res res

4th = res res res :p

maybe you should get a life (w00t) or something better to do with your time , dog walking perhaps :- " :oops: :lol: :clown: :cheers:

:*

I don't know anything about showing at all!! so will probably say something really dopey now :wacko:

but, has it got anything to do with points or qualifying? for example, if you get 1st, 2nd or 3rd at champ shows it gains points or qualifies you for Crufts, but res and vhc doesn't get you anything?

probably miles off cos don't even know if that's true! just an very uneducated guess :- " :b

i could be totally wrong but here goes,

putting VHC and HC aside for a minute,

as i understand it 1st 2nd and 3rd are places and reserve is just that, a reserve in the case of a dog being disqualified, there isn't really a 4th, 5th and 6th place as such

if i am right in thinking, if a judge places 1st and 2nd but decides that there are no dogs of sufficient merit for 3rd place then reserve, VHC and HC must also be withheld,

this is very unlikely to happen at an open show as it it fairly pointless but it is possible at a champ show where 1st to 3rd qualify for Crufts, maybe the the judge felt that 3rd and subsequent dogs were of a low standard and didn't want to be the judge who sent a low merit dog to Crufts.

if a judge was to withhold 1st place then ALL subsequent places in that class must also be withheld, there are no "sympathy" places awarded in this case,

for instance there may be only one exhibit in the class but the judge really doesn't think it of suffiecient merit for 1st place, if the judge were to award it 2nd, as the only dog in the class it would still be the winner of that class and eligable to compete for Best of Sex anyway

VHC and HC are suposedly there for classes where a judge was spoilt for choice in quality dogs. :thumbsup:

clear as mud

but res and vhc doesn't get you anything?
So why have them?.

it seems that no one realy knows why it's done?

come on someone must know for sure.

as i understand it 1st 2nd and 3rd are places and reserve is just that, a reserve in the case of a dog being disqualified, there isn't really a 4th, 5th and 6th place as such

if i am right in thinking, if a judge places 1st and 2nd but decides that there are no dogs of sufficient merit for 3rd place then reserve, VHC and HC must also be withheld,

this is very unlikely to happen at an open show as it it fairly pointless but it is possible at a champ show where 1st to 3rd qualify for Crufts, maybe the the judge felt that 3rd and subsequent dogs were of a low standard and didn't want to be the judge who sent a low merit dog to Crufts.

if a judge was to withhold 1st place then ALL subsequent places in that class must also be withheld, there are no "sympathy" places awarded in this case,

for instance there may be only one exhibit in the class but the judge really doesn't think it of suffiecient merit for 1st place, if the judge were to award it 2nd, as the only dog in the class it would still be the winner of that class and eligable to compete for Best of Sex anyway

VHC and HC are suposedly there for classes where a judge was spoilt for choice in quality dogs
that wasnt the question but it was a good answer maybe you should take the judges test.

the question was why have VHC and Res and not just say 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th? as saying 4th instead of res would still mean the same

Surely in any show the judge is placing the dogs in order of what they feel best represents the breed standard so regardless of whether the class is outstanding or all rags the best of the bunch should be given 1st? if that dog then attands Crufts the better dogs from better shows will beat the lesser standard dogs ?

maybe you should get a life  or something better to do with your time , dog walking perhaps
I can't i'm to busy trying to gain knoledge, but I seem to be getting no real creditable answers maybe i'm asking the wronge people. :(

Mark Roberts said:

VHC and HC are suposedly there for classes where a judge was spoilt for choice in quality dogs
that wasnt the question but it was a good answer maybe you should take the judges test.

the question was why have VHC and Res and not just say 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th? as saying 4th instead of res would still mean the same

Surely in any show the judge is placing the dogs in order of what they feel best represents the breed standard so regardless of whether the class is outstanding or all rags the best of the bunch should be given 1st? if that dog then attands Crufts the better dogs from better shows will beat the lesser standard dogs ?

thought i did answer the question, maybe i gave the wrong answer :b

"as i understand it 1st 2nd and 3rd are places and reserve is just that, a reserve in the case of a dog being disqualified,"

as i understand it 1st 2nd and 3rd are places and reserve is just that, a reserve in the case of a dog being disqualified
But surely 2nd is reserve in case the winner gets Disq?

as I stated earlyer,

2nd is reserve in case 1st gets Disq

3rd is reserve in case 1st & 2nd gets Disq

so why start res at 4th place and not say 4th?

Mark Roberts said:
as i understand it 1st 2nd and 3rd are places and reserve is just that, a reserve in the case of a dog being disqualified
But surely 2nd is reserve in case the winner gets Disq?

as I stated earlyer,

2nd is reserve in case 1st gets Disq

3rd is reserve in case 1st & 2nd gets Disq

so why start res at 4th place and bot say 4th?

then that would mean that 1st is the ONLY place awarded

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back