The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Silver Brindle

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
~Helen~ said:
Wow. Well that's made my mind up. Next time it's a black dog for me ;)
There's a few of us that would agree with you there Helen :thumbsup:

BTW - The geneticist, Roy Robinson defined a silver fawn as a fawn having a double dose of the recessive version of the Chinchilla gene (ch) which degrades the fawn coat to a pale fawn coat but doesn't affect black pigmentation so the nose colour would remain black.

A silver blue fawn would have a pale fawn coat but the nose is diluted by the recesssive d gene to blue. In other words a blue fawn with a paler than normal coat.

A silver bindle has black stripes and a pale fawn background and a silver blue brindle has blue stripes and a pale fawn background.

So by his definition, the "silver" bit refers to the fawn coat being pale due to the ch gene and not the colour of the stripes. :sweating:

Last edited by a moderator:
Judy said:
BTW - The geneticist, Roy Robinson defined a silver fawn as a fawn having a double dose of the recessive version of the Chinchilla gene (ch) which degrades the fawn coat to  a pale fawn coat but doesn't affect black pigmentation so the nose colour would remain black.
A silver blue fawn would have a pale fawn coat but the nose is diluted by the recesssive d gene to blue. In other words a blue fawn with a paler than normal coat.

A silver bindle has black stripes and a pale fawn background and a silver blue brindle has blue stripes and a pale fawn background.

So by his definition, the "silver" bit refers to the fawn coat being pale due to the ch gene and not the colour of the stripes.  :sweating:

That's very interesting, thank you for posting :) . Although, my concept of silver brindle differs from his: I see silver brindle a colour that looks silvery i.e. light blue stripes on a pale fawn or greyish background. I'm sorry, I can't see anything silvery in black stripes on a pale fawn background :) . But of course these are just names, and people do see colours differently.

Dusilla said:
Judy said:
BTW - The geneticist, Roy Robinson defined a silver fawn as a fawn having a double dose of the recessive version of the Chinchilla gene (ch) which degrades the fawn coat to  a pale fawn coat but doesn't affect black pigmentation so the nose colour would remain black.
That's very interesting, thank you for posting :) . Although, my concept of silver brindle differs from his: I see silver brindle a colour that looks silvery i.e. light blue stripes on a pale fawn or greyish background. I'm sorry, I can't see anything silvery in black stripes on a pale fawn background :) . But of course these are just names, and people do see colours differently.

Certainly interesting. So could we come up with an appropriate name for the black brindles with a double dose of the Chinchilla gene then, Dusilla?

bardmand said:
Dusilla said:
Judy said:

Certainly interesting. So could we come up with an appropriate name for the black brindles with a double dose of the Chinchilla gene then, Dusilla?

Hmmm, what about black&silver brindle, champagne brindle, cream brindle, peach licorice brindle, ebony&ivory brindle, chinchilla brindle, ... :)

bardmand said:
Dusilla said:
Hmmm, what about black&silver brindle, champagne brindle, cream brindle, peach licorice brindle, ebony&ivory brindle, chinchilla brindle, ... :)
Some good suggestions there.

How about this dog:

http://courtborne.com/emo%20stam%20ny%202006.JPG

He is black pigmented - but could he not be said to have a silvery tone to his colour?

Yes, there's silvery tone, but the colour isn't predominantly silver. I would call him silver-fawn brindle or smoky pale fawn brindle. Somebody else would maybe call him differently :) . A lovely dog BTW :wub: .

Dusilla said:
Yes, there's silvery tone, but the colour isn't predominantly silver. I would call him silver-fawn brindle or smoky pale fawn brindle. Somebody else would maybe call him differently :) . A lovely dog BTW :wub: .
A good thing there are no colour restrictions in the whippet standard. I just love the variety, and it certainly inspires creativity when it comes to describing all the various hues and shades they come in!

Ah. This leads me to the subject of blue eyes. Someone I know asked me if a whippet can have blue eyes. She knows someone with a blue whippet with blue eyes. I'd like to see a photo of it.

Any thoughts about blue eyes folks?

Some pics from the net:

View attachment 26697

blue_eye2.jpg

blue_eye3.jpg

there's a lurcher that is whippet sized and shape the only thing unusual is her bright blue eyes and a short tan and brown coat, she's colliexshelty(sp)x whippet very striking looking dog! doe'snt it say something in the breed standard about eyes?

BeeJay said:
Defo not a silver brindle but here's a pic of Ebony Black Pearl's dad.  The blue bitch whose photo is on this thread owned by Dennis is another Ebony Black Pearl daughter (different dad to yours though).  Beauty
Also Midnight Dill who is Ebony Black Pearl's dam is the litter sister to Moriartes Gelert.  Small world isn't it and that's just that side of the family. :thumbsup:

:wub: handsome black lad there :wub:

funnily enough Rosa, the mum of my black lad Oto is silver brindle

Picturebec_628.jpg

bardmand said:
Dusilla said:
Judy said:

A black brindle with a double dose of the recessive version of the chinchilla gene (ch) would still be a silver brindle according to RR. The dominant version (Ch) of the gene produces the normal 'yellow' fawn coat.

bardmand said:
Dusilla said:
A good thing there are no colour restrictions in the whippet standard. I just love the variety, and it certainly inspires creativity when it comes to describing all the various hues and shades they come in!

Yes, I agree with you totally :) .

Judy said:
~Helen~ said:
Wow. Well that's made my mind up. Next time it's a black dog for me ;)
There's a few of us that would agree with you there Helen :thumbsup:

BTW - The geneticist, Roy Robinson defined a silver fawn as a fawn having a double dose of the recessive version of the Chinchilla gene (ch) which degrades the fawn coat to a pale fawn coat but doesn't affect black pigmentation so the nose colour would remain black.

So by his definition, the "silver" bit refers to the fawn coat being pale due to the ch gene and not the colour of the stripes. :sweating:

I'm with Roy Robinson then because I think you define what colour brindle it is by the background colour because you only get black or blue stripes unless, like my Django he is so heavily brindled that you cannot see much else (hence why I would term him a black brindle)

13mths2.jpg

Judy said:
bardmand said:
Dusilla said:
Judy said:

A black brindle with a double dose of the recessive version of the chinchilla gene (ch) would still be a silver brindle according to RR. The dominant version (Ch) of the gene produces the normal 'yellow' fawn coat.

I certainly agree with the genetics part. But the naming - I personally don't like to call a dog silver brindle, if he doesn't look predominantly silvery. I think the names of the colours should describe the colours seen. But this is just a case of naming, and if others call the colours differently, that's fine with me :) . After all, as bardmand said, there are no colour restrictions in the whippet standard. So the naming of the colours can be quite variable. Same colour can be called with different names as e.g. mahogany brindle, red brindle, dark red brindle etc. according to how the person in question sees the colour.

Judy said:
bardmand said:
Some good suggestions there.
How about this dog:

http://courtborne.com/emo%20stam%20ny%202006.JPG

He is black pigmented - but could he not be said to have a silvery tone to his colour?

Yes - he fits Roy Robinsons description of a silver brindle - black stripes with pale fawn. :thumbsup:

And that is my idea of a silver brindle. My Dessie I would call a blue brindle, the same as her daughter Derohan Pretty Polly (Delphi) who, mated to my black Frankie, produced Lydia's Guy

This is Dessie in her prime

Dessie.jpg

BeeJay said:
Ah.  This leads me to the subject of blue eyes.  Someone I know asked me if a whippet can have blue eyes.  She knows someone with a blue whippet with blue eyes.  I'd like to see a photo of it.
Any thoughts about blue eyes folks?

Sharron's Zeb is a dark brindle like Rupert and has one blue eye and one brown eye. He is the first Whippet I have seen with a blue eye. Unfortunately, he came from JR Whippet Resuce so pedigree unknown!

I don't know what causes wall eyes ................. Judy????

dessie said:
Django he is so heavily brindled that you cannot see much else (hence why I would term him a black brindle)
dessie said:
My Dessie I would call a blue brindle, the same as her daughter Derohan Pretty Polly (Delphi)
Yes, according the stripes, or how the colour predominantly looks. So in the same manner silvery stripes or predominantly looks silvery -> silver brindle. But as I said earlier, this is just how I see the colours. If others see them differently, that's OK :) .

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back