The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Slow?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
BeeJay said:
Yep Nigel and Judy finance K9 themselves.
I know that we've had this discussion on here before but maybe it is time that we have to pay to join the board?

I think that is a good idea :thumbsup: it does'nt seem fair that they have to fund it all themselves while we have all the fun.

Maybe we should have a poll??

wild whippies said:
I presume everyone's getting this error too
mySQL error: User book17r has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connectionsmySQL error code:

Date: Thursday 05th of January 2006 05:10:47 PM
I suspect yet again as K9's getting bigger and more folk registering that Nigel's going to need to increase his bandwith, with that in mind, I've donated to paypal to help with running costs. :thumbsup:

Yes, unfortunately it's more than bandwidth that's the problem - it's general server/processor speed, memory allocated etc limit that we seem to be hitting. The fix looks likely to be a server upgrade to the next hosting plan - around £50/month.

The donations and google ads do mostly cover the costs of K9 these days but I think we're going to have to be a bit more restrictive about 'commercial advertising' on K9 to ensure that costs are covered.

Nigel said:
wild whippies said:
mySQL error: User book17r has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connectionsmySQL error code:

I suspect yet again as K9's getting bigger and more folk registering that Nigel's going to need to increase his bandwith, with that in mind, I've donated to paypal to help with running costs. :thumbsup:

Yes, unfortunately it's more than bandwidth that's the problem - it's general server/processor speed, memory allocated etc limit that we seem to be hitting. The fix looks likely to be a server upgrade to the next hosting plan - around £50/month.

The donations and google ads do mostly cover the costs of K9 these days but I think we're going to have to be a bit more restrictive about 'commercial advertising' on K9 to ensure that costs are covered.

Do all the pictures on the bottom of signatures slow things down??

And pictures in general?

I would pay to join what about a fee of £5 a year like friends reunited do....get first 3 months free ??????

Kim and Tilly said:
Nigel said:
wild whippies said:

Do all the pictures on the bottom of signatures slow things down??

And pictures in general?

I would pay to join what about a fee of £5 a year like friends reunited do....get first 3 months free ??????

theres an idea :thumbsup:

out of curiosity nigel, what of people who are no longer active, or the ones that make one or two posts then never return? them being in the system, does that affect performance?

Thought the sever problem thingy was just MINE - now I no it isnt :blink: - think Nigel has put a messgae on somehwere about it.

It is a pain when you cant get onto the site - then when you do it keeps cutting off :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Kim and Tilly said:
Do all the pictures on the bottom of signatures slow things down??And pictures in general?

Yes, signatures will slow things down a bit, but not a lot. Same with pictures - they add to the bandwidth consumption and may take a while to load but don't really use much in the way of processor resources. At the moment the total bandwidth used each month is about 20Gb - which is quite a lot, but these days bandwidth is relatively cheap. It's the cost of maintaining a 500Mb mysql database and serving pages to upto 70 concurrent users as well as a few chat users, on top of that there's the PM's, emails and registrations that costs the money because of the size server you need to handle that much traffic.

We've always tried to hold back from charging a subscription partly because of the administration effort required - K9 is not here to make money but it does need to cover its costs - which it's just about doing. I'm sure in the very near future a server upgrade will be required & we'll have to look again then.

lalena said:
out of curiosity nigel, what of people who are no longer active, or the ones that make one or two posts then never return? them being in the system, does that affect performance?
No, only people using (viewing, posting, PM'ing etc) put any realy strain on the server.

well K9 has become a family to me :huggles: and im on here every day :- " AND it helped me find my new pup (w00t) .

so i will happly pay some money towards running costs, pay day on 28th i will do it then :thumbsup:

If anyone is interested, I'm happy to make anyone a banner if they want something smaller made up with all their dogs on it rather than adding piks of each dog to their signature. PM me if your interested

wild whippies said:
If anyone is interested, I'm happy to make anyone a banner if they want something smaller made up with all their dogs on it rather than adding piks of each dog to their signature. PM me if your interested

Ooo me (hand held up really high) after i get bluey ofcourse :teehee: :huggles: :wub:

Today I've doubled the power of the K9 server - so we should see a speed increase and a reduction in errors caused by server overload... a problem that's been evident over the past few days.

Let me know how you find the new superfast K9 :sweating:

Looking good to me, loads of us in chat tonight and on K9 and it's working a treat!

Thanks Nigel! :huggles:

wild whippies said:
thanks for the banner Jac :thumbsup:

It seems to be working really well tonight Nigel. :thumbsup:

brilliant, nigel! didnt get booted out once last night, i can view topics again... :thumbsup:

Working well and fast, thanks Nigel :thumbsup:

Julie

Much better but I still cant get rid of 1 new message in my inbox - where there isnt one.

Janimal said:
Much better but I still cant get rid of 1 new message in my inbox - where there isnt one.
I've done a bit of 'table maintenance' - that may help (or it may not). Without going in and manually editing the tables there's probably not much else I can do...

Nigel its sorted now thank you.. Refreshed the page - and hey presto :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back