The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

So Much For Expensive Feed's

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Strike Whippets said:
Mini Me said:
Purina ProPlan. Feed less, less waste out the back end. Cant fault it. Pepper is four weeks into rearing a litter of pups. from above, you cannot tell she has even had a litter. Lost a bit of muscle through lack of proper exercise, but other than that, she is in fab condition. I dont know, but would you get this if you fed cheap food?

I've just started feeding this and I am very impressed ......I feed raw, chicken wings, veg and all, but over the past few years have fed Royal Canin (which I also think is great, just didn't have it at Batleys last visit and I resent paying about £20 a sack more from any high street pet shop :- " ) ......So opted for Pro Plan .....My lot love it ......I must say though after years of working with dogs be them Greyhound racers or pets, I do personally think to get the best possible out of your dog, you do have to put good quality food into them .....I also read on k9 a few years ago (I think it was in non ped racing) that any race trainer or multi dog owner who feeds ALL of their dogs the same (ie food, supplement's etc....) know nothing about their dogs individual needs ......I always thought that was a fair comment :)

I totaly agree with you're last statement.I have a couple who are'nt doing great on the pedro,but it's probibly because they can eat the bit's they like,and leave the rest.Whereas ,if it was a nut,then everything is within the nut,and has to be eaten.Anyway,i got a load of beef today,and when it's been worked and minced,it should fill a 4 ft freezer,to the hilt.Will still feed Tine what's working though,with a wee bit of beef,as it would'nt be fair on her.Dont think ive heard of PRO PLAN,but it soud's spot on.If it work's for you,then by all mean's use it.Ive also took a load of washed minced tripe on board for a change,as it came handy.Iwont feed it raw,but will boil the water,and then introduse the tripe to it.In that way,i keep all the nutrient's,and hopefully kill off the worm egg's.Hopefully it wont be too strong for their wee tummy's. ...Billy...

Last edited by a moderator:
all this talk about food is making me hungry just told mandy to do me some super stale brown bread with abit of raw meat and best of all a splash of gravy before bedtime. -_- -_- -_-

Just joined this forum for running dogs....strange seems to be full of cats...meowwwww!

Taking my lead from my experience with working gundogs (running approx 40 miles a dayon a hunting day) and working police dogs, the current knowledge suggests that BARF diets are best. They are also less voluminous feeds - which will be an advantage in running breeds with tucked up tums and deep chests.

There is a lot of evidence appearing that would suggest that feeding dried foods is, long term, a really good way to give your dog health problems and make sure it dies prematurely.

Put it this way, they put some dreadfully unhealthy stuff in pre-prepared human food. In which case do you think the stuff they put into pre-prepared dog food is better???????

Don't think so.

Go raw meaty bones, tripe etc., costs less, dogs go like stink, and never get to meet the vet!

Anybody interested then look on the web for BARF diet. And wasn't that the way racing whippets were fed in the past...on the choicest meat???

Pete

billyboy45 said:
Strike Whippets said:
Mini Me said:
Purina ProPlan. Feed less, less waste out the back end. Cant fault it. Pepper is four weeks into rearing a litter of pups. from above, you cannot tell she has even had a litter. Lost a bit of muscle through lack of proper exercise, but other than that, she is in fab condition. I dont know, but would you get this if you fed cheap food?

I've just started feeding this and I am very impressed ......I feed raw, chicken wings, veg and all, but over the past few years have fed Royal Canin (which I also think is great, just didn't have it at Batleys last visit and I resent paying about £20 a sack more from any high street pet shop :- " ) ......So opted for Pro Plan .....My lot love it ......I must say though after years of working with dogs be them Greyhound racers or pets, I do personally think to get the best possible out of your dog, you do have to put good quality food into them .....I also read on k9 a few years ago (I think it was in non ped racing) that any race trainer or multi dog owner who feeds ALL of their dogs the same (ie food, supplement's etc....) know nothing about their dogs individual needs ......I always thought that was a fair comment :)

I totaly agree with you're last statement.I have a couple who are'nt doing great on the pedro,but it's probibly because they can eat the bit's they like,and leave the rest.Whereas ,if it was a nut,then everything is within the nut,and has to be eaten.Anyway,i got a load of beef today,and when it's been worked and minced,it should fill a 4 ft freezer,to the hilt.Will still feed Tine what's working though,with a wee bit of beef,as it would'nt be fair on her.Dont think ive heard of PRO PLAN,but it soud's spot on.If it work's for you,then by all mean's use it.Ive also took a load of washed minced tripe on board for a change,as it came handy.Iwont feed it raw,but will boil the water,and then introduse the tripe to it.In that way,i keep all the nutrient's,and hopefully kill off the worm egg's.Hopefully it wont be too strong for their wee tummy's. ...Billy...

Blimey,i bet your house stinks after cooking tripe (w00t) :x

Why on earth cook it anyway,that's a sure way to kill off the nutrients in it!

I've been feeding my dogs on raw beef tripe(as well as other raw meat) for nigh on 30 years,& never yet had a problem with it,& never had worm probs either.In fact my 4 week old pups have been having raw miced beef & tripe for the last 4 days & love it & are doing well :thumbsup:

BRI&SHELLI said:
Here’s my opinion.
You only get out – what you put in.

Feed cheap food to my dogs, and you get dogs with bad wind….

Feed expensive cereal based food to my dogs and you get looks of disgust.

Feed a healthy mixed balance of fresh health food you get a health dog.

-NOW-

If you want a winning dog – you also need to put some exercise in there.

You will never get a winner from just good food – or just good exercise.

You need both… .. ..

STRIKE you own balance – watch your dog – learn from your dog - they will tell you when they are happy.

:oops: sorry for the rant.

:thumbsup: I think you've said it all BRI&SHELLI, you only get out what you put in :) and exercise. :thumbsup: Diane

alfyn said:
billyboy45 said:
Strike Whippets said:
Mini Me said:

Blimey,i bet your house stinks after cooking tripe (w00t) :x

Why on earth cook it anyway,that's a sure way to kill off the nutrients in it!

I've been feeding my dogs on raw beef tripe(as well as other raw meat) for nigh on 30 years,& never yet had a problem with it,& never had worm probs either.In fact my 4 week old pups have been having raw miced beef & tripe for the last 4 days & love it & are doing well :thumbsup:

I dont cook thr tripe.Like i said,i boil the water,take it off the ring,(which is in a shed,and not my house),and simply empty the bag of tripe into the water.That way,all the worm egg's,or most of them anyhow,are killed off imediately.The nutrient's are kept as the water looses temprature imediately tooand does the nutrient's no harm.One thing i do know for a fact,and i wont back down on this one,is that dog's and puppies,fed on raw green tripe,will be stuffed with worm's,if that end is not kept in check,with at least monthly worming's.Ask any of the big rearing kennel's,and they will comfirm this.that was the precise reason that i stayed away from it for year's.Tripe is alive with tapeworm egg's,if not treated properly.Raw rabbit is exactly the same,and i steep them in boiling water too_One thing i will say for tripe though,is that if you stay on top of you're worming regime,then you wont rear pup's on better. ...Billy...

wild whippies said:
Got to say in my opinion when it comes to racing feeds, it's not so much about how faster they'll make your dog because I believe that's rubbish, the dogs either fast or it isn't.However I do believe it's important to ensure you give the correct feed that helps with the dogs recovery following hard running. The reason these feeds contain high protein levels, creatine, magnesium, copper etc etc is to aid in recovery and replenish what is lost following racing in aid to prevent, muscle damage, cramping etc and therefore maintain your dogs racing ability.

Beef does contain Creatine useful for muscle recovery and preventative of rhambdomyolysis. Carnitine - an alkaloid that enhances fat metabolism and Conjugated linoleic acid -  a fatty acid that creates an environment in which more fat is burned and more lean mass added. This is why Beef is so useful to racing dogs.

Commercial feeds are variable as are their sources, but it shouldn't be forgotten that dogs and their ability to metabolise and absorb food are also variable. You can see this clearly in the fact there are so many commercial racing feeds available and why there is such a variation in people's preferences.

I see you've mentioned protien here Jac,and one thing ive noticed ,that most people do,is look for a feed that is high in protien.Not many people know,that to high a protien diet,make's a greyhound run slower.This is fact.Most people look for summit with about 28/30 percent protien.Then they add to it.If it say's complete,then to add,is realy to take away.Therefore ruining what cientist's in doggy nutrition,have spent year's developing.Beef and Wholemael bread,is the big favourite in the greyhound world over here.That way,you can get away with the additive's,but only if you know what you're doing.I know one lad who was feeding this recipe,and messed up with alsort's of everything.Anothwer trainer i know feed's Astrailian,with a 1/2 lb of raw beef.Then he put's in his add on's,of which, one is creatine.now we have Creatine in the Ausy stuff,Creatine in the raw beef,and more Creatine in pure form.Then he wonder's why his 2 bitches and 1 dog have gone back.One isnt even doin her trialin time's,and he keep's sayin she must have a wee niggle somewhere.I would say her wee niggle is in the blood.Ive told him to get her blood's checked,but he say's it cost's too much.What about the price of all the shit he's pumpin into their feedin. Then suppose what do i know,im just me,and all those big attractive add's,are written by expert's eh. I recon Galloping is the best feedin they can get anyhow,and it cost's nothin.Ive known lamping dog's who survived the whole winter,on litteraly nothing but rabbit's,and they looked 100%every time i seen them,and their work rate was 100% too.I know it dont alway's take speed to be a good lamp,or hare dog,but everything else is needed,as regard's feeding for stamina,and recovery,and so on..So everything must be in a rabbit,especialy if you feed the comlete carcus ,once every week or so ...Billy...

Protein and Creatine are 2 different things.

If he's giving creatine regularly on top of Australian & red meat his dogs are probably experiencing what's known as negative feedback. You give too much and the body stops creatine transportation and stops synthesizing creatine.

To get the optimum benefit you should have periods without it.

Ironically, those that poo-poo the idea are almost always providing a source themselves unwittingly i.e. from the odd rabbit carcas. ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back