The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

So Much For Expensive Feed's

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:) when i use to race i tried different complete racing foods.and found that the expensive foods did not make my dogs run any better .i stuck to the supa greyhound meal and added meat and their done fine on it.now i feed the lower protein one .very good meal for price .and no upset tummys.some of the more expensive foods made them poo to much.

lyds said:
:) when i use to race i tried different complete racing foods.and found that the expensive foods did not make my dogs run any better .i stuck to the supa greyhound meal and added meat and their done fine on it.now i feed the lower protein one .very good meal for price .and no upset tummys.some of the more expensive foods made them poo to much.
Hello Lydia - long time no see, how are the old girls :D

:)) hi fleesh iam fine .dogs r has greedy as ever .hope u r all well .hope u managed 2 get a lift .take care .

Have managed to find someone to get me to the ones further away but not yet got a lift to Askern (20 mins away) (w00t) .

Will manage to find someone I'm sure :) .

Was just on the greyhound site there,and guess what.A sister to my own bitch,and one who i reared with her,from a pup,has just won a very good race in Lifford greyhound stadium,in an unbelievable time,(for her),as she was'nt up to much,and was being kept for breeding purposes,because of the blood line's.She was fed on Austrailian,all her racing day's,and took of it a few week's ago,and put on a cheaper nut,with only 22 % protien.Now not what im feeding,or no where near it.The bitch has just went 1 grade lower than open class,for 750 yrd's,and she was just about staying 575.She's now a D1 bitch.Cant believe this.She has went from useless,to a better bitch than my own.42.56,is some run for 750 yrds ,lifford.Wonder what Tina will do,when i get a race there, as she was 7/8 length's faster than her, over 500.

Last edited by a moderator:
billyboy45 said:
Was just on the greyhound site there,and guess what.A sister to my own bitch,and one who i reared with her,from a pup,has just won a very good race in Lifford greyhound stadium,in an unbelievable time,(for her),as she was'nt up to much,and was being kept for breeding purposes,because of the blood line's.She was fed on Austrailian,all her racing day's,and took of it a few week's ago,and put on a cheaper nut,with only 22 % protien.Now not what im feeding,or no where near it.The bitch has just went 1 grade lower than open class,for 750 yrd's,and she was just about staying 575.She's now a D1 bitch.Cant believe this.She has went from useless,to a better bitch than my own.42.56,is some run for 750 yrds ,lifford.Wonder what Tina will do,when i get a race there, as she was 7/8 length's faster than her, over 500.
Just got comfirmation,that Tina run's at Lifford on friday night,in a 575 yrd race.She will be slow out,as this is a silent hare,as opposed to Derry,where they can here it coming from the other side of the track.I was'nt expecting her on for a week or two,and have'nt had a chance to school her to the different hare,and electronic trap'sShe's drawn trap 2,which has done her no favour's,as she run's her best from 5/6,at Derry.It's an awful long run to the 1st bend,in a 575,so hopefully she can make up for the slow start,i am certain she will get.There's also comentary at Lifford,which she is'nt used to,but if she get's a decent break,she might do a good run.Prize money at Lifford,is around 250.00 euro,as oposed to Derry's £35.00.

Here’s my opinion.

You only get out – what you put in.

Feed cheap food to my dogs, and you get dogs with bad wind….

Feed expensive cereal based food to my dogs and you get looks of disgust.

Feed a healthy mixed balance of fresh health food you get a health dog.

-NOW-

If you want a winning dog – you also need to put some exercise in there.

You will never get a winner from just good food – or just good exercise.

You need both… .. ..

STRIKE you own balance – watch your dog – learn from your dog - they will tell you when they are happy.

:oops: sorry for the rant.

Got to say in my opinion when it comes to racing feeds, it's not so much about how faster they'll make your dog because I believe that's rubbish, the dogs either fast or it isn't.

However I do believe it's important to ensure you give the correct feed that helps with the dogs recovery following hard running. The reason these feeds contain high protein levels, creatine, magnesium, copper etc etc is to aid in recovery and replenish what is lost following racing in aid to prevent, muscle damage, cramping etc and therefore maintain your dogs racing ability.

Beef does contain Creatine useful for muscle recovery and preventative of rhambdomyolysis. Carnitine - an alkaloid that enhances fat metabolism and Conjugated linoleic acid - a fatty acid that creates an environment in which more fat is burned and more lean mass added. This is why Beef is so useful to racing dogs.

Commercial feeds are variable as are their sources, but it shouldn't be forgotten that dogs and their ability to metabolise and absorb food are also variable. You can see this clearly in the fact there are so many commercial racing feeds available and why there is such a variation in people's preferences.

i use a mix of red mills tracker or australian formula, all depends on what level of work dogs are doing , for the whippet pups they have redmills with meat veg pasta and rown rice etc in a slop but 2 feeds a day are royal canin or burns , i am so far pleased with the results im getting , all dogs also have my doggy stew, which is either fish, mince or chicken with pasta rice and veg added

any drawback is i have to get it from greyhound track at certain times which is sometimes a bind as we dont have a local pet store with red mills in :thumbsup:

aust form is £16 a sack

red mills tracker or racer is £10 a sack

royal canin is £37

Burns delivered is £17.90 for a 7.5 kg bag so on par with royal canin

with 10 here im pleased to say not too much poo :x so something must be right there (w00t) coats glossy with good breath :thumbsup:

I currently have my racers on Aussie Formula but have previously used Red Mills but that is what suited the bitch better.

kris said:
dunno if expensive foods work better than cheap ones but im well aware of the old adage you only get what you pay for. :thumbsup: if i put  cheap food into a dog i daresay it might  perform well for a while but sooner or later the  results are going to  be disappointing .i think its a well known fact that if any racing machine isnt  being well fed and looked after its performance is going to suffer.same with a bitch who is pregnant and  feeding pups.they need the best of everything.i wouldnt stint any of my dogs on good quality food.they mean the world to me and they deserve the best i can afford to buy for them. :) (just my opinion)
I FEED RED MILLS RACER TO MY HOUNDS ,11.99 A BAG.I SHOW AND RACE MY DOGS.LADY P. :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

billyboy45 said:
billyboy45 said:
Just got comfirmation,that Tina run's at Lifford on friday night,in a 575 yrd race.She will be slow out,as this is a silent hare,as opposed to Derry,where they can here it coming from the other side of the track.I was'nt expecting her on for a week or two,and have'nt had a chance to school her to the different hare,and electronic trap'sShe's drawn trap 2,which has done her no favour's,as she run's her best from 5/6,at Derry.It's an awful long run to the 1st bend,in a 575,so hopefully she can make up for the slow start,i am certain she will get.There's also comentary at Lifford,which she is'nt used to,but if she get's a decent break,she might do a good run.Prize money at Lifford,is around 250.00 euro,as oposed to Derry's £35.00.

Forgot about this thread,with all that's been happening lately.Tina hit the lid's,in her 575 race,and was 3 clear at the first bend.She stretched that to 6 by the third,as she flew down the back straight.Coming off the last bend,summit seemed to take her attention of the race in hand,and she sort of checked or summit,and did'nt seem to be chasing anymore.This was only the 4th race,and the 1st had already been classed void,as a rabbit ran across the track.It is reconed that Tina seen another rabbit,but as it did'nt cross the track,and ran back out the stupid hole,the race stood.She was beaten 2n1/2 length's in a time 1/2 a second slower than what she'd have done,if she had'nt stopped chasing.There are hole's,all around the track,and rabbit's have a free run of the place.One lad placed poke nat's over the hole's the next night ,after midnight,and went into the track ground's with a lamp,to chase the little buggar's.He netted up 6 rabbit's.Ive given Tina a 525 run round the track today,and she checked at the same turn.Who said greyhound's are stupid.I will have to take her back to Derry now,to get this out of her head. ...Billy...

Last edited by a moderator:
What rotten luck Billy :( They do have great memories for things like that dont they . Good luck next time at Derry :luck:

Nothing worse than a bright dog Billy .....Sounds like Tinas going to be a cracker though .....Just get a few ferrets down those rabbit holes before hand ;) :- " :lol:

how can you expect a dog to run clean round a track when you got the real thing hopping around.

food wise swear by green tripe for keeping condition on mine. the rest is just whatever happens to be the best value complete that week.

Purina ProPlan. Feed less, less waste out the back end. Cant fault it. Pepper is four weeks into rearing a litter of pups. from above, you cannot tell she has even had a litter. Lost a bit of muscle through lack of proper exercise, but other than that, she is in fab condition. I dont know, but would you get this if you fed cheap food?

Mini Me said:
Purina ProPlan. Feed less, less waste out the back end. Cant fault it. Pepper is four weeks into rearing a litter of pups. from above, you cannot tell she has even had a litter. Lost a bit of muscle through lack of proper exercise, but other than that, she is in fab condition. I dont know, but would you get this if you fed cheap food?

I've just started feeding this and I am very impressed ......I feed raw, chicken wings, veg and all, but over the past few years have fed Royal Canin (which I also think is great, just didn't have it at Batleys last visit and I resent paying about £20 a sack more from any high street pet shop :- " ) ......So opted for Pro Plan .....My lot love it ......I must say though after years of working with dogs be them Greyhound racers or pets, I do personally think to get the best possible out of your dog, you do have to put good quality food into them .....I also read on k9 a few years ago (I think it was in non ped racing) that any race trainer or multi dog owner who feeds ALL of their dogs the same (ie food, supplement's etc....) know nothing about their dogs individual needs ......I always thought that was a fair comment :)

Strike Whippets said:
Nothing worse than a bright dog Billy .....Sounds like Tinas going to be a cracker though .....Just get a few ferrets down those rabbit holes before hand  ;)   :- "  :lol:
The hole's are actualy hole's in the surrounding wall,that goes the whole way round the bend,and is 5 feet high in places.I think the hole's are for drainage or summit.It is possible to get a dog into the track in the midle of the night by going over the wall,and with the help of a lamp,and the hole's blocked,then you're dog get's a kill at the track,and next time it goes there run's a blinder.The owner also keep's and races quite a few expensive,and pretty useful dog's about him.Enough said.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back