The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

So Much For Expensive Feed's

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i must admit my whippet bitch has a gluten intolerance and i find a lot of the cheaper brands of food contain gluten .I put her on arden grange which doesnt have gluten in it and at over 30 pounds a bag isnt cheap but i find the amount i have to feed out weighs the price because i have to feed less and she does look great on it .I just think its down to the individual dog really with whatever works for them :thumbsup:

I too am of the belief that you "get out what you put in" in most cases with a premium food as the above poster states,you feed less,the "end product" is less and therefore the dog is utilising the food better.Feeding cheap food to any animal is IMO a false economy.

And regarding performance, for comparison just take a look at any horse racing yard,their feed room and their horses...there is no way that they would be feeding a plain Horse & Pony nut,it is the same with hunt yards and show-jumping yards,you feed for performance and workload.

Okay - food first. Mine two are retired / adopted so I don't need a racing diet, but I don't feed cheap stuff because I find it affects what comes out the other end and the food can contain a lot of wheat / gluten which disagrees with my two.

Re Tina's mother - in no way am I defending overbreeding (of any breed not just greyhounds) but, Billybob45 didn't say he had anything to do with the breeding or ownership of the mother so it's not really fair to judge him.

Also I read it as 200 winners from the litters i.e. 1 dog may have won more than 1 race - my Max won 3/29.

Perhaps if we knew the registered name of the mother we could check for ourselves and then everyone would be satisfied?

clairej810 said:
Okay - food first.  Mine two are retired / adopted so I don't need a racing diet, but I don't feed cheap stuff because I find it affects what comes out the other end and the food can contain a lot of wheat / gluten which disagrees with my two.
Re Tina's mother - in no way am I defending overbreeding (of any breed not just greyhounds) but, Billybob45 didn't say he had anything to do with the breeding or ownership of the mother so it's not really fair to judge him.

Also I read it as 200 winners from the litters i.e. 1 dog may have won more than 1 race - my Max won 3/29.

Perhaps if we knew the registered name of the mother we could check for ourselves and then everyone would be satisfied?

sorry here to nit pick..but can you tell me were any one judged billy here ?? as far as i can see we all miscontrued billys wording so we said "that the idea of a bitch in that position was deplorable"...no mention of a personal attack on billy.

ive apologised and as ive stated shall read billys posts then read them again before replying as i dont want to seem judgemental towards any individual. and i think having the bitches name would clear up any doubts.

shannon

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry & Sheila Smith said:
THECAP said:
i think its a well known fact that if any racing machine isnt being well fed and looked after its performance is going to suffer ?????

The whole feeding thing is very interesting. As "Storm 1" & Billy say you can get good result's from the cheaper stuff. When you see the breakdowns on the "premier" feed's & the "economy" feeds there isn't that much difference except the "premier foods" have this or that "special" ingredient. Think a lot of it is a con. Every decent dog owner want's the best for their dogs, most assume paying £30 a bag ensure's the best imo it doesn't.

When I was a kid I earned pocket money walking dog's for who was then the top trainer in the north west. These dog's saw meat a couple of times a week, rest of the time they had bread & milk. The owners of these dogs paid top fee's for this regime & were well satisfied with the result's presumably.

Terry Smith

i know with a lot of the cheaper feeds the quality of the protein present can come fom very dubious sources. ;) for example id prefer to pay a little extra and have the peace of mind knowing that the meat im feeding is premium quality muscle tissue rather than brains,trotters,beaks,feet etc(yes these are all processed into complete diets)i feed human quality minced beef/lamb and a good mix of fresh veg/pasta with a good quality biscuit and a weekly addition like oily fish etc.i have used complete diets and i still say you only get what you pay for.theres protein and theres protein.some complete diets are full of bulky fillers and some manufacturers only use quality ingredients. :thumbsup:

the difference is usually reflected in their price

as for the post by clairej810 im at a loss as to where anyone said anything about billy or were judging him. :blink: i think all the replies that were condemning the person who would put any bitch in whelp non stop enough to produce that amount of pups are united in condemning anyone who would use a bitch as a breeding machine.and knowing of some bitches that were used as machines to breed from their first season to their last id say its not impossible for a bitch to produce 200 pups.

sad yes, but not impossible :(

shannon said:
clairej810 said:

sorry here to nit pick..but can you tell me were any one judged billy here ?? as far as i can see we all miscontrued billys wording so we said "that the idea of a bitch in that position was deplorable"...no mention of a personal attack on billy.

Thank you for your opinion, Shannon. I always like to know other people's views. :thumbsup:

Kris - I understand people were criticising the breeder for over breeding and yes, that is deplorable.

My point was this - Billy does not appear to be responsible for this breeding therefore and if people were thinking of criticising or judging him which sometimes happens, that wouldn't be fair. I did not mean to imply people were already criticising him.

Obviously I once again, did not make my point clearly.

sorry my mistake.with you saying'its not really fair to judge him'thats what i thought you meant :unsure:

shannon said:
billyboy45 said:
This is a pic of my Tina bitch,who at the age of 2 year's and 8 month's,is only starting to run right.She was fed top class nut's,+beef n Wholemeal bread,when in training and racing.Recently,ive put her on a cheaper feed,since the beef was getting hard to come by,and she's improved nearly 10 length's,equaling her fastest time that she did 2 week's ago,only this time she did the buisiness last night.She also came off,like she had'nt even run,and never took a drink.I was approached about selling her,but declined the offer,as i would be selling my bit of sport,and not just the bitch.As she's bred in the purple,i will take a litter from her,as she could be a good brood .Tried the Austrailian stuff with a few different dog's,but they all went back on it.This bitches Dam had to be PTS,last week,after weaning a litter of pup's,as she was found to have the big C.She had produced over 200 winner's,from her litter's,and threw Dearby dog's n bitches.Her owner who is over 70 year's of age,is still finding it difficult to accept,as the bitch lived in the house with him,and was his only companion.It gave him a lift last night to see my bitch win.Gave his pocket a wee lift too.
_B020951.jpg

ok im really new here and i just like to read all the posts. can i ask what sortve people are you greyhound racers.200 winners..so how many losers how many litters has this bitch had remembering what age she probably was when she was pts !!?? 2 litters a season would still be 10 a litter at 10 years of age.

surely this is not acceptable to ordinary dog folk.

shannon

Think summit need's clarified here.Sorry for my way of putting thing's.But if there were 10 pup's in a litter,and all were to win 10 races each,then that would,in greyhound term's,be 100 winner'sSo if the next litter were as good,with say a couple winning maybe 20 odd races each,then it would'nt be too long till the total win's of the litter would exeed 100.The bitch had 6 litter's,and was 10 when she was PTS.Not all her pup's were good,but some were exelent,and win a lot of races,and are still doing so.She was an unraced brood bitch,and was used for the purpose she was kept for.Breeding winner's.

alfyn said:
I think that would be an impossibility,well i bloody hope so as it would mean that poor bitch would have had 19-20 litters in her lifetime  :eek: Here's hoping it's mean't to read....

Her offspring between them have accumulated 200 wins.

Well done Alfin,im glad someone was able to work it out.

storm1 said:
THOUGHT THIS TOPIC WAS ABOUT DIFFERENT FOODS :cheers: IVE USED EXSPENSIVE FOODS BILLY AND FOUND THEM NO BETTER

THAN A CHEAPER VERSION IVE FOUND IF A DOG CAN RUN IT CAN RUN

WITHOUT THESE FANCY FOODS

I USE SUPA GREYHOUND AT £6.50/AND THE HIGHER PROTEIN[26%]AT£8.50

WHICH I THINK IS A REASONABLE PRICE

SO LET GET BACK TO THE SUBJECT FOODS

IF PEOPLE ON HER THINK A BITCH AS HAD 200 PUPS

THEY WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF JUST JUMPING

STRAIGHT IN  :thumbsup:

Iagree with you,100%here.But you see,it's Billy,is'nt it.And sometime's when i put stuff on here,everybody seem's to jump.

billyboy45 said:
storm1 said:
THOUGHT THIS TOPIC WAS ABOUT DIFFERENT FOODS :cheers: IVE USED EXSPENSIVE FOODS BILLY AND FOUND THEM NO BETTER

I agree with you,100%here.But you see,it's Billy,is'nt it.And sometime's when i put stuff on here,everybody seem's to jump.I can see that this time im not being personaly attacked,but it has happened before.Anyway the bitches name,i will not gave out,and as for the quality of meat that goes into the feed im talking about,i know what goes in,as i see it going in,everytime im up there,as it's only 2n1/2 mile up the road.I often get a bag of dried beef,from them,and bone meal,as i use these when rearing pup's.Idont cut any corner's in my rearing,as my pup's on the lurcher forum will show.Ive never seen pup's better done than the one's im rearing at the moment.I have studied the whole thing about good protien's and bad,about digestable protein's,and undigestable protien's,and fifth,like kris talk's about,ie,beak's,eyeball's even feather's,and other totaly useless protien's,and can assure you,there is nothing but good natural dried beef,and animal fat's going into the feed.It's nothing realy to do with the price,just the fact that you dont have to feed the best,or most expensive food,to get the best result's.Some of these feed's are way over priced,and it is the advertising,and fancy bag's,+wages,that are taken into account,when a price is being negotiated for a product.Take Australian ,for example.Fancy bag's,and big full page,sometime's 2 page advertisement's,in all the greyhound mag's,and weekly's.Who do you think pay's for that.I'll gave you one guess.Funny ,it's hardly even recognised in it's own country,by the breeder's and trainer's.

billyboy45 said:
storm1 said:

Iagree with you,100%here.But you see,it's Billy,is'nt it.And sometime's when i put stuff on here,everybody seem's to jump.

JOIN THE RANKS BILLY LOL I CALL THEM THE DO GOODER GANG LOL

Kris - that's okay, I didn't put it well. :huggles:

Billy - as to food, you feed what works for you. :thumbsup:

THECAP said:
billyboy45 said:
storm1 said:

JOIN THE RANKS BILLY LOL I CALL THEM THE DO GOODER GANG LOL

billy stop feeling sorry for yourself and listen to whats being posted on the board,and you too george.if anyone disagrees with you theyre out to get you,if anyone posts anything thats in the slightest opposition to you youre sulking, moaning and whinging,and you get personal.get over yourself and be a man and take a disagreement in the nature of what it is.its SOMEONE WHO DOESNT AGREEE WITH YOU BUT IT AINT PERSONAL!in life youre going to meet people who dont agree with everything you say.if you fly off the handle all the time and accuse them of having it in for you then youre gonna be in a lot of fights and arguments in your life.and sometimes you ARE wrong even when you think youre right.and if people on this site darent post saying they think what youve done or said is wrong then thats sad,sad for you as a person and sad for this site that doesnt allow free speech.

claire,thanks hun :)

kris said:
dunno if expensive foods work better than cheap ones but im well aware of the old adage you only get what you pay for. :thumbsup: if i put  cheap food into a dog i daresay it might  perform well for a while but sooner or later the  results are going to  be disappointing .i think its a well known fact that if any racing machine isnt  being well fed and looked after its performance is going to suffer.same with a bitch who is pregnant and  feeding pups.they need the best of everything.i wouldnt stint any of my dogs on good quality food.they mean the world to me and they deserve the best i can afford to buy for them. :) (just my opinion)
The quality of this feed is as good as it get's Kris.It's the price that the topic was supposed to be about.I can assure you,that this feed was under estimated for a long time,and now many ,many greyhound trainer's are using it.I was up today for a bucket of bone meal,and mentioned this topic to a couple of the lad's who work there.They told me,the owner of the company is putiing up sponsership,for a big greyhound competition,as the feedback he's been getting for quite a while,is very possitive.Ive been reading about greyhound nutrition ,where the veiw's of some big scientist's are written down,concerning greyhound food.They recon the reason that track record's are continualy being broken,is because the dog's are getting more fat in their diet now,than ever before.Fat is broken down into energy,carbohydrate's,and what have you.A dog will perform better on a high intake of carbohydrate's.ie,fat.They say that a dog fed 1n1/2 lb of raw green tripe,for 3 day's prior to a race,will get a massive boost of energy,and therefore improve on it's performance,and recovery rate.Lean beef,which was once a must for racing dog's,is no longer favoured,and a much fattier type prefered for the racing animal.No talk of protien's at all.Carbohydrate's being the number 1 factor,in racing performance.IE,(FAT).There is plenty of meet and fat in this feed,which can be seen,,and is'nt hidden,in little expensive nut's,were we're told what's in there ,and have to believe that.Ihave alway's prefered to make up my own feed,which is beef soup,with all the veg,+wholemeal bread.But the man who supplied it,has had his hip's done,and been out of actin for some time.As i said ealier,i used to feed this,when i was racing,and could'nd get beef,as time's it was very scarce.I raced for 7 year's,(UNBEATEN),and i would say 50% of the time i was feeding this meal.A few year's ago,they changed the formula,and it was crap.Reason was,i think,that the time of the foot n mouth,they could'nt get beef,and changed to chicken,as their meet source,and for some reason,they changed every thing else about it too.Yes,they probibly did cut corner's.They seem to have got their show on the road again,and if the beef dont come back,then i will be happy to put everything on it.At £7.50 a bag,or £6.50.if i want 1/2 a tone,then it's less than 1/2 the price of some of the average priced greyhound feed's.Now let's not all fall out,over who feed's their dog's what.And have a good week,everyone. Goodnight. ...Billy...

05whippet said:
I too am of the belief that you "get out what you put in" in most cases with a premium food as the above poster states,you feed less,the "end product" is less and therefore the dog is utilising the food better.Feeding cheap food to any animal is IMO a false economy.
And regarding performance, for comparison just take a look at any horse racing yard,their feed room and their horses...there is no way that they would be feeding a plain Horse & Pony nut,it is the same with hunt yards and show-jumping yards,you feed for performance and workload.

One of the biggest name's in horse and greyhound feed's,hail's from the republic of Ireland.I dont know that much about their horse'y feed,but i do know that most of their greyhound nut's will cause a dog to lose quite a bit of weight,in a very short time,if not supplemented with beef or tripe ,or summit.Now this is supposed to be one of the premier feed's.It get's the name ,cardboard pellet's, more often than not.In all honesty.No meal or nut,can be a complete diet.Dog's are meant to eat raw food,and were never meant to even know what cooked food was.Cooking destroy's everything good,in a bit of meat,and that's why a load of crap has then to be put back in.You'll never see a wild cat,that look's unhealthy.They are usualy twice the size of the domesticated one's,and a lot healthier looking.What do they eat.You'll never see Fox dung,with worm's in it,and they are ,in all honesty,one of the nicest looking creature's around.Ok,they get mange,but that's nothing to do with their diet.Many a time ,ive heard someone say,if only the dog's were as healthy looking. What do they eat.Not premium,anyhow.Ha Ha . ...Billy...

Have to admit I have never put my dogs on expensive feed but I have supplemented with raw beef, then raw lamb because I didn't like the beef (it smelt funny and had green leafy bits in it). Also used bread, pasta etc.

Used a few different feeds when we started off but now settled with one we like. I won a sack at a race of a certain feed and at first the dogs went mad, pulling on their leads, racing about the garden like loonys etc. It wore off after about 2 weeks and the dogs started to loose weight and muscle and didn't show the same on the track. Switched back to the feed I have them on now. Funnily enough I was feeding meat raw also but have stopped now as they seem to run better without it :eek:

Just as in humans , all dogs are different , although I dont race greyhounds anymore , when I did have them

, My best bitch, Jemma would only eat tripe and the odd biscuit mixed in , she won well over 70 races in her life ranging from 100 yds dash to 920 (w00t) . her half sister and brother both ran well on bics and meat /tripe ( complete foods wernt around then :- " ) :lol:

With my whips , I feed whatever makes them look fit and well . At the moment its Burgess supa greyhound :cheers: apart from Mayzee who is on special cos of her advancing years :wub: But I must admit to clearing up less `mess` when feeding Royal Canin ( thats when Ive won a bag or three )* :cheers:

Which brings another topic answered , If one gH can win 70 races you dont need dozens of GH to win 200 ;)

I think the main difference between the better foods and not so good I've found is that with the ones with less additives ect the dogs retain the food better rather than it passing straight through, I feed mine on Natural Choice dried food and tripe sticks treat wise,it is a bit more expensive than some but they toilet a lot less, so at least they are keeping more of the nutrients in as I see it, and they enjoy it :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back