The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sooty Sam

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
MY SOOTY SAM WHIPPET GRAND-SIRE ON BOTH SIDES (LORD 0OF THE KNIGHT x PERFECT PITCH) - BLACK DOG 21" 31 lb

Last edited by a moderator:
>There are pleny of whippets in the show ring that are close to 23 inch & they dont carry sooty sam lines & in the 80s i remember seeing a Linda Wren bred racing whippet put on the scales at the Northern weigh in at 42lbs & approx 23inch the following Kennel club investigation proved nothing

(w00t) How did this occur from my saying that he was 23" at the shoulder? I certainly meant no disrespect to the dog or his line by saying that. If a dog is that height then he's that height. I can think of plenty of show bred whippets who are around that height.

Further more of the dogs that I've met that come from this line some of 'em I wouldn't have minded owning :wub: and I can only think of one that I didn't like the look of and he is a very nice tempered dog.

Nice dogs Springfield. :thumbsup:

There are pleny of whippets in the show ring that are close to 23 inch & they dont carry sooty sam lines & in the 80s i remember seeing a Linda Wren bred racing whippet put on the scales at the Northern weigh in at 42lbs & approx 23inch the following Kennel club investigation proved nothing

How did this occur from my saying that he was 23" at the shoulder? I certainly meant no disrespect to the dog or his line by saying that. If a dog is that height then he's that height. I can think of plenty of show bred whippets who are around that height.

Further more of the dogs that I've met that come from this line some of 'em I wouldn't have minded owning and I can only think of one that I didn't like the look of and he is a very nice tempered dog

During the years that i have been involved with whippets the size has increased from the original breed standard do you think its time judges started sticking to the breed standard & getting out the measuring stick as they do in racing & did in coursing before all conformation goes out of the window & we end the same as the greyhound 2 different breeds with the same name.

Pennymeadow Whippets said:
During the years that i have been involved with whippets the size has increased from the original breed standard do you think its time judges started sticking to the breed standard & getting out the measuring stick as they do in racing & did in coursing before all conformation goes out of the window & we end the same as the greyhound 2 different breeds with the same name.
Excuse me, as someone who shows and is a Kennel Club A list judge, can I just make a few observations here.

1. Yes, Whippets may be getting bigger but judges can only judge what is entered

under them. It is down to those who breed to limit size.

2. We do not measure Whippets because they only come in one variety. Dogs in

the show ring are only measured if they come in different sizes or weights

e.g. Poodles or Dachshunds . But I would also observe here that people's

perception of height is often WAY out and I would disagree that there are a

lot of VERY tall dogs. Why is it no one ever comments on bitches being big??

3. There are no disqualifying faults. The breed standard is a guide only and is

interpreted by everyone slightly differently so what is important to one, may

not come so high on another's agenda. You cannot dismiss a dog purely on

size alone (whether it is too big OR too small) the same as for poor angulation,

sticky up ears, curly tails etc etc. The dog should be judged as a whole.

Personally, I would rather put up a good, sound taller dog than a correct size,

poorly constructed one.

4. Lastly and this has always puzzled me, we have a KC breed standard which

states DESIRABLE heights yet for racing the limit is 21" (an inch over the

standard) and for coursing it is 20" (OK for dogs but allows for big bitches).

Why do these two fraternities not conform with the KC guidelines but are quite

happy to have a pop at the show dogs all the time????

Well if they conformed to KC rules then there wouldn't be any disqualifying heights would there so just think about the height that the racing dogs would become if we held to the same rules as the show folks. Tall dogs have a longer stride than short dogs. They are always faster of course. At least we HAVE disqualifying height and weight rules you merely have one that people for the most part ignore because it's only a guideline.

In racing I believe the maximum height for a bitch is 20" at the shoulders. Can racing bitch owners/seconders please confirm this. And yes I know that it's still over the suggested height written in the breed standard.

BeeJay said:
Well if they conformed to KC rules then there wouldn't be any disqualifying heights would there so just think about the height that the racing dogs would become if we held to the same rules as the show folks.  Tall dogs have a longer stride than short dogs.  They are always faster of course. At least we HAVE disqualifying height and weight rules you merely have one that people for the most part ignore because it's only a guideline.
In racing I believe the maximum height for a bitch is 20" at the shoulders.  Can racing bitch owners/seconders please confirm this.  And yes I know that it's still over the suggested height written in the breed standard.

Well, I cannot comment on Whippets because I don't attend race meetings but if that theory holds water that means that all taller racehorses would beat the smaller ones and that just isn't true!!!

dessie said:
BeeJay said:
Well if they conformed to KC rules then there wouldn't be any disqualifying heights would there so just think about the height that the racing dogs would become if we held to the same rules as the show folks.  Tall dogs have a longer stride than short dogs.  They are always faster of course. At least we HAVE disqualifying height and weight rules you merely have one that people for the most part ignore because it's only a guideline.
In racing I believe the maximum height for a bitch is 20" at the shoulders.  Can racing bitch owners/seconders please confirm this.  And yes I know that it's still over the suggested height written in the breed standard.

Well, I cannot comment on Whippets because I don't attend race meetings but if that theory holds water that means that all taller racehorses would beat the smaller ones and that just isn't true!!!

red rum was only wee :thumbsup:

beaker said:
dessie said:
BeeJay said:

red rum was only wee :thumbsup:

And a lot of the fastest sprinters are little more than pony height!

Nooo I missed the not out. My Whizz is only 19.25" and he was faster than a lot of bigger dogs.

Teach me to proof read. :b

springfield said:
other 2 dogs never posted photos before so sent all 3
A very fine looking whippet you've got there, a credit to you :thumbsup:

3. There are no disqualifying faults. The breed standard is a guide only and is

interpreted by everyone slightly differently so what is important to one, may

not come so high on another's agenda. You cannot dismiss a dog purely on

size alone (whether it is too big OR too small) the same as for poor angulation,

sticky up ears, curly tails etc etc. The dog should be judged as a whole.

Personally, I would rather put up a good, sound taller dog than a correct size,

poorly constructed one.

All well and good but how many smaller type of whippets win in shows ?

Lets start shipping them all in from the USA and adopt the USA breed standard becasue the English type Whippet is fast becoming a thing of the past in the English show scene :rant:

Lakey said:
All well and good but how many smaller type of whippets win in shows ?
Lets start shipping them all in from the USA and adopt the USA breed standard becasue the English type Whippet is fast becoming a thing of the past in the English show scene  :rant:

There is no 'smaller' type. Height has nothing to do with breed type and I would disagree that the majority of Whippets seen in the British show ring at present are Americanised.

This is taken from the breed standard if nobody sticks to it is there any point in having it (not having a go at judges ) but they are the ones who can do something about the size of whippets if a dog is to big or not worthy in the judges opinion of being placed first then don't give a first place give the best whippet second

Size

Desirable height: dogs: 47-51 cms (181/2-20 ins); bitches: 44-47 cms (171/2-181/2 ins).

Faults

Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back