The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Squirrel Bite

Zoe G

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

Ollie got a nasty squirrel bite yesterday on the muzzle. When he came back the whole of his muzzle was bright scarlet and it seemd to be bleeding from inside his mouth too. I put pressure on the bite and it slowed down fairly quickly. Once cleaned up it looked a lot better, just 2 puncture marks on his muzzle.

I have cleaned it up with antiseptic and salt water and just left it.... but I'm worried he needs antibiotics or maybe a stitch. Has anyone else had this happen?

Thank you,

Zoe

One of my dogs once got bitten by a squirrel,& had quite a nasty hole in the side of his cheek (w00t) I just bathed it with lavender oil & had no problems,but if you're not happy with it,go to the vets.

Thanks, just needed a bit of reassurance! I think its looking better and he seems his perky self. Actually he wasn't even bothered at the time, just wanted to catch the squirrel.

I'll try the lavender oil. :))

Poor Ollie I hope is ok really soon, :huggles: :huggles: squirrels can be right nasty little buggers can't they. :devil:

My parents' cats have had some seriously nasty bites from squirels in the past which have gone bad and needed antibiotics. So I would recommend the vet.

My last Greyhound was bitten twice by squirrels in the past, and both times she needed vet treatment .......nasty little blighters :oops: ........

Hope Ollie is ok :huggles: - we have quite a lot of squirrels round here too.

Kobi and Oscar took chase after a stoat the other day (w00t) Im just so glad it too off over a wall before they got to it.

Poor Ollie to get bitten by a Squirrel - with Blaze is was the other way round :- "

When our old girl was about seven months she chased a baby squirrel into a bush but got the shock of her life when either mummy or daddy where in the bush waiting for baby, she got a really nasty gash on her nose but didnt need any treatment just a wash with antiseptic to keep it clean, she still had the scar though 14 years later.

You should have no problems with that sort of bite just keep an eye on it & wash it with salt water :thumbsup: :luck:

Pennymeadow Whippets said:
You should have no problems with that sort of bite just keep an eye on it & wash it with salt water :thumbsup:   :luck:
Thanks for your help - its looking fine now. On sunday it kept oozing blood and was swollen, so I was pretty concerned. Last night I bathed it in salt water and it is now just 2 tiny nicks on his muzzle. You'd barely know it had happened.

Ollie's never caught anything, usually he is too obsessed with chasing his ball. I was hoping the bite might curb his interest, but even with blood pouring off his muzzle he still wanted to go back and find his squirrel enemy....

Zoe

DSCN0036a.JPG

Glad to know that Ollie's injuries are healing. :luck:

Mine also doesn't, or can't! catch anything, excpet for a spider trapped in the hallway. I also imagined a nip from a squirrel would make her to give them a healthy respect. But now I guess she wouldn't, just like Ollie.

Zoe G said:
Ollie's never caught anything, usually he is too obsessed with chasing his ball. I was hoping the bite might curb his interest, but even with blood pouring off his muzzle he still wanted to go back and find his squirrel enemy....

Oh Zoe,

Sorry to hear that Ollie has run into a squirrel that bit back, was it at the Look Out? Hope he is feeling better now.......

I :wub: love :wub: the picture of Ollie in the water, it is scary how he and my Ollie look soo much alike.

It was in Deepcut, walking him with my Mums whippet Jessie. She's a real hunter and frequently catches squirrels; I guess she is a bad influence!

Anyway he is back to looking as handsome as ever! :)) :))

And he smells of lavender too!

Zoe

Especially for Ollie ;) and do hope hes on the mend. :thumbsup:

squirrel.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back