The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Stud Fee's

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I think its up to you to decide how much you want to pay for studs if its more than you think its worth you can go and find a dog at the price you think is. :thumbsup:

I do blame a lot of it on people not having the balls to use something different, it's as if you would get frowned upon if you didn't use something thats already got a dozen litters on the go, i reckon there's some good stud dogs slipped through the net just because people wouldn't give them a try.

im sure youre right vicky as if they never get a chance our do you know what they would of bred :thumbsup:

I don't line bread so i have trouble finding dogs. For my next bitch i want a dog that had no marilion or crazy cracker couse the bitch has these in her. As for price if the right dog come's along then you pay the price if you want that dog. Only thing i won't do is give a pup for stud if they ask for 1 then i just walk away.

Vicky said:
I do blame a lot of it on people not having the balls to use something different, it's as if you would get frowned upon if you didn't use something thats already got a dozen litters on the go, i reckon there's some good stud dogs slipped through the net just because people wouldn't give them a try.
i used a young maiden dog at stud many years ago.the owner was flattered id asked to use him.he became the top producing stud in the breed and sired the top winning dog of all time and many champions.but when i used him noone thought much of him and asked why i was using him.the answer was his bloodlines. :thumbsup:

kris said:
Vicky said:
i used a young maiden dog at stud many years ago.the owner was flattered id asked to use him.he became the top producing stud in the breed and sired the top winning dog of all time and many champions.but when i used him noone thought much of him and asked why i was using him.the answer was his bloodlines. :thumbsup:

well latest addition was a good stud dog marillion was another dog comes to mined but i can remember these dogs raceing and they gave 100%

don't know what all the fuss is about,if you don't like a particular stud dog don't use it,if you think the stud fees are to much don't pay it it's all down to induvidual choice, if you don't like the two options don't breed pups :( :- "

£100 is a fair price for stud fee :)

as for the price of pups nowadays it's ridiculas the price that some are charging personally i would'nt pay more than £100,i know some will say yes but what about if the bitch as to have a c-section ( not cheap ) but thats the risk you take when breeding. :- "

just my opinion :))

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to use TWO new dogs for breeding from :) . Didn't work :- " (the dogs didn't work that is lol).

As for price of pups we didn't have a clue what to ask for them and were advised to sell them at the price we did (and no less).

been there done that! (w00t) re non performing maiden dogs!its soooooo frustrating! :( we tried one particular dog with every bitch we had that came into season over a 4 year period.he just wasnt interested.he just wanted his mummy! :b lol!he was such a baby! :lol: i wish hed have mated one of my bitches but it was not to be. :(

hiya this is tan, i know that the conversation is dead now but i have to say my bit. milo has proven himself now and i have lined a top greyhound bitch for free, and i have just lined a bedlington tonight and because it was not a fellow racer i charged him 50 pounds and he was very happy with that. i have to agree with george regarding the price. i no the price of pups is going up rapidly but personally i,m more than happy to spred milos genes about.i,m not a greedy person all i,m intrested in is the sport and my dog adding to the next generation more than the price of his stud fee o:) :thumbsup:

i personally think now, that £100 is a fair price for stud fee,s this day and age,. i personally haven,t charged this myself though, as peoples who,s dogs i have lined when i owned buster know, but i think the price of 100 is fair now, only because of what people are charging for the pups and i know other dogs now charge that price,. Its the same as when you buy pups in, the ones that don,t make racing i have found new homes threw whippet rescue or a animal trust at saltburn, or threw friends but never have i sold one on for more than what i bought it for.

But a stud dog could mate say 30 bitches and a brood bitch only have 2 litters, so i think stud dogs owners are getting a fair enough deal as it is. Also people are saying about what people are charging for pups in relation to the stud fee, the bitch's owners put a lot more into it than the stud's owner, they feed the bitch (hopefully the best they can) for 9 weeks and then the same for the pups for the next 6-8 weeks, worming, dewclaws etc and most of all time.

unwanted

well latest addition was a good stud dog marillion was another dog comes to mined but i can remember these dogs raceing and they gave 100%

you a joke marillon was a good dog, his brother dream vision was a little bit faster and managed to beat him most of the time

latest addition was also a very good dog, correct me if i am wrong but did you not mate a bitch to him

your last dog you got cheap as you were friends with the owner of the stud dog so they wavered the stud fee and you only had a bit of money to add to it for a pup

did i not say marillion was a good dog and latest addision.and as far as getting a pup well think that was between me and the people concered.

dunno about it being cheap to have a stud dog but in dobermanns we had to have them xrayed for hip dysplasia and scored for cervical spondylosis and that wasnt cheap i can tell you. (w00t) i know theres no comparison between that and the money it costs to rear a litter of pups (and thats without the vets bills!) but in most pedigree dogs these days noone will use a dog unless its been tested and scored for all the breed problems that can occur in a breed.also you can be held legally liable these days for breeding a pup with inheirited disorders so its better to be safe than sorry as any puppy owner taking a breeder to court would have an extremely good case in law if the breeder didnt use a dog at stud that had been tested and scored.it amounts to negligence in a legal case. :)

kris said:
dunno about it being cheap to have a stud dog but in  dobermanns we had to have them xrayed for hip dysplasia and  scored for cervical spondylosis and that wasnt cheap i can tell you. (w00t) i know theres no comparison between that and the money it costs  to rear a litter of pups (and thats without the vets bills!) but in most pedigree dogs these days noone will use a dog unless its been tested and scored for all the  breed problems that can occur in a breed.also you can be held legally liable these days for breeding a pup with inheirited disorders so its better to be safe than sorry as any puppy owner taking a breeder to court  would have an extremely good case in law if the breeder didnt use a dog at stud that had been tested and scored.it amounts to negligence in a legal case. :)
:thumbsup: spot on.

If a proven sire with excellent offspring demands a higher stud fee I think it is good thing for the gene pool! If he is good enough there will be sons around who are unproven and free (or asking a very modest fee) ...

what ever dog you use, you still need a bit of luck to get a champion out of it.. marillion was well known for the amount of champions he sired.. but look how many bitches he mated...loads of them..mostly any decent whippet greyhound dog given enough bitches to mate, sooner or later would produce a champion..and the best scrach dogs are USUALLY out of a direct grehound mating...

kris said:
dunno about it being cheap to have a stud dog but in  dobermanns we had to have them xrayed for hip dysplasia and  scored for cervical spondylosis and that wasnt cheap i can tell you. (w00t) i know theres no comparison between that and the money it costs  to rear a litter of pups (and thats without the vets bills!) but in most pedigree dogs these days noone will use a dog unless its been tested and scored for all the  breed problems that can occur in a breed.also you can be held legally liable these days for breeding a pup with inheirited disorders so its better to be safe than sorry as any puppy owner taking a breeder to court  would have an extremely good case in law if the breeder didnt use a dog at stud that had been tested and scored.it amounts to negligence in a legal case. :)
Obviously in non ped whippets non of the above is necessary and the cost of putting a dog at stud is nothing in comparison to raising a litter well.

Vicky said:
But a stud dog could mate say 30 bitches and a brood bitch only have 2 litters, so i think stud dogs owners are getting a fair enough deal as it is.  Also people are saying about what people are charging for pups in relation to the stud fee, the bitch's owners put a lot more into it than the stud's owner, they feed the bitch (hopefully the best they can) for 9 weeks and then the same for the pups for the next 6-8 weeks, worming, dewclaws etc and most of all time.

this is true but if the brood bitch had 7 pups each time and they are sold for £150 each thats £2100,

a stud dog mating 30 bitches at £50 a time £1500,

the stud dog would after mate 42 bitches to make £2100,

30 bitches is very good amount for any stud dog to line,if they are lucky enough to get them that is.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back