The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Tennis Balls

Lisa S

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My boy will play for ages in the garden either with a football or his beloved rubber chicken :wub: but will not entertain a tennis ball. I would love to take one out with us so that he can get a bit more exercise running for a ball but if I throw one he may run after it a couple of times just to humour me (retreiving is not in his repertoire either) and then just look at me and cock his leg or something so I have to go and retrieve the ball and put it back into my pocket. Taking the chicken out is not an option as I don't want to look mental :wacko:

How did you get yours to be interested in running after a tennis ball or did they just do it?

ruby doesnt do chasing a ball,

star does it on occation

Smokey loves it,

with ruby and star i took a ball everywere and looked like a tool throwing it and fetching it myself,

with smokey we didnt take the ball anywhere as ruby and star were never bothered but we found one, one day and he went daft :wacko:

i think some dogs must just be ball daft and some arnt??

we met a lab in the park the other week and the owner was telling me she was ball daft but wouldnt let him throw it only strangers, and sure enough she kept dropping it at my feet for me to throw it, and i did, yet when the guy went to get it she would snatch it up and run away :blink:

Some of mine are ball mad & some aren't,& though i've tried with the ones that aren't,i still can't get them to chase a ball of any description.

So sorry,can't help!

Irie, Sox and Ella will play fetch until the cows come home :D although they only really started to show interest last year when they were around 2 years old.

Jinny will chase and pick up but won't retrieve :blink:

Tizzy will play ball ....... in fact, Tizzy will play anything :lol:

Rosie isn't interested at all -_- and Poacher only likes furry balls on 4 legs which run fast :oops:

So a totally diverse response from my gang to balls, whether they be tennis or rubber ones! I think it's just the luck of the draw whether they will play ball or not :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here.....Oscar and Archie will chase almost anything...including a ball

Kobi dosnt like balls whatsoever...but loves a furry duck in the house.... :clown:

Billy will chase ANYTHING- and does a good retrieve as well. He is ball crazy, will chase a lure or a bunny with equal enthusiasm :thumbsup:

Alfie and Verity only chase bunnies, (and no doubt our neighbours cats, if they ever got the chance) no compromise whatsoever!! :blink:

Same here.....Oscar and Archie will chase almost anything...including a ball
Kobi dosnt like balls whatsoever...but loves a furry duck in the house.... :clown:
Rifle will play halfheartedly with a ball, he'll chase and pick up but retrieving is my job (when he inevitably gets bored or distracted by something more interesting, like a dead seagull or something equally gross )

He does love his squeaky teddies etc though.

We added a terrier to our number. Rebus is ball mad. Footballs, tennis balls, balls on ropes. I've never seen a dog before who can dribble a ball up the wall or patio doors and retain control of it. We often go to the beach and I spend ages throwing the ball for them to bring it back. At first Diesel was not interested but he soon began to copy Rebus and now comes off the beach as dirty and tired as the little man does.

Billy will chase ANYTHING- and does a good retrieve as well. He is ball crazy, will chase a lure or a bunny with equal enthusiasm :thumbsup:
Alfie and Verity only chase bunnies, (and no doubt our neighbours cats, if they ever got the chance) no compromise whatsoever!! :blink:

If mine were given a choice...it would be the real thing too... :lol: the ball wouldnt get a look in...

Peat my last whippet was obsessed with his ball

The girls have no interest in chasing anything that is not alive :))

Toddy is obsessed with his rubber frisbiee but a ball is of no interest by comparrison.

I suppose different dogs react to different toys.

He also has a preference for red and orange :p

Grace has always been keen on balls. Started off by throwing them in the house for her to chase when she was tiny. A friend gave me one of those wonderful ball throwers and she has never looked back. Of course I get to do the retrieving when she gets bored or distracted!

I reckon the shades of my dear old collie whispered in her ear - he was always a great one for balls and played a mean game of footie.

All my four will chase the ball but only K and Tala will bring it back :))

Oscar will always chase it.....but sadly...once in a blue moon bring it back!!

Still,if I wanted a dog to bring it back I would have got a retriever! :thumbsup:

All my four will chase the ball but only K and Tala will bring it back :))

Know what you mean Ann. Beau would always chase a ball when thrown but I always had to follow him to retrieve it and throw it again. Rebus has always returned to hand but cannot wait for it to be thrown again. Diesel now copies and brings the ball back.

Gracie will chase and return with anything, balls, frisbees, toys etc and has done from day one. :D Tilly just looks at me as though I'm soft and takes off in the opposite direction. :wacko: I think it's down to the individual dog.

Blue is absolutely obsessed with his tennis ball - actually to a point where it's too much! I started with him in the house when he was a puppy before he could go out on walks and he loved chasing it down the hall and very quickly picked up that if he brought it straight back he got another go - lol. I've cut down the amount of ball throwing I do with him now though as he's so very obsessive with it and has picked up a couple of minor injuries skidding to a halt for the ball. I also heard that it can cause joint problems if you repeatedly throw the ball, especially with one of the ball flingers which I always used before.

Alfie will chase and retrieve a ball or a hoop or whatever we throw for him but we decided not to up the ante with the ball flinger and keep it all a bit more low key for him and that seems to have worked well. Again, I started when he was tiny and hadn't had his injections to go out in the wide world so we played loads of games in the house to keep him occupied and he very quickly learner to bring things back - his favourite being a toy hedgehog (we used to have great fun playing fling the hedgehog!)

My boy will play for ages in the garden either with a football or his beloved rubber chicken :wub: but will not entertain a tennis ball. I would love to take one out with us so that he can get a bit more exercise running for a ball but if I throw one he may run after it a couple of times just to humour me (retreiving is not in his repertoire either) and then just look at me and cock his leg or something so I have to go and retrieve the ball and put it back into my pocket. Taking the chicken out is not an option as I don't want to look mental :wacko:
How did you get yours to be interested in running after a tennis ball or did they just do it?
Try putting the ball in an onion bag,taping the ball in, then trim the bag,i done that with my pup Molly,i use an old tennis racket sending the ball low for about twenty yards,she chased every time now ive done away with the bag she loves chasing the ball now. :luck:

I got my working whippet on it as a pup by rubbing the ball on a RABBIT skin and now she wont go anywhere with out her ball .lol

kitt loves a ball any size

even been known to pinch a football halting a match (w00t)

jay will only play ball in the house would rather have a teddy to suck on and fall asleep lol

gus is ball mad to the point of he won't give it back till hes got home

shilo only loves a tennis ball if its in kitts mouth and he can pinch it off him

the other 3 won't even look at a ball

i started mine of when pups just rolling it to them

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back