The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Brothers Mallyfield

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Umm no ... hence the brothers Mallyfield title ... he's as manly as they come lol

This is him and his litter sister :thumbsup:

IMG_9461wl.jpg

IMG_9463wl.jpg

They won best Whippet bitch, best Whippet dog, and Whippet brace at Pride of the Peaks in September :D

very narrow at the front and not the shoulders that the fawn has in that pic side by side

It's interesting to see them in the flesh together.
Head on their faces look identical, side on and in real life, Finn is so like Jess and Badger is more like Harry. We really noticed that when watching them in the slips (which was a while as the lure broke then oops!)

They have a lot of similarities and a lot of differences too...like most brothers lol!

Badge is bigger all over, yet shorter height wise. Not by that much, but looked less I think as he was so up on his toes when they were in the slips for so long bless them. They really behaved considering the batteries had to be changed over, and they ended up driving a car on the field which all took quite a while. Mind you, the extra half pound or so he was carrying didn't help, but then he hadn't been exercised because of that damn bug I had. I don't mean just bigger as in fatter, just all over bigger made :blink: Hard to describe really. If they meet up again maybe we should do some side on, front on, back on comparison shots (w00t)

They ran really well together and it was a good course I thought :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer of nicking a picture Annie, I will do. Sorry we knocked you out, I'm sure there will be a next time for trying to get revenge though lol!

TCx
They certainly look like brothers don't they :) I know what you mean about Finn's head being more like Jess's than Badger's in profile ... but they both very much carry the stamp of their sire I think ... as do all his progeny. I also think that Finn is maybe more like Jess and Badger more like Harry in character/temperament and personally I feel I can see that in their expressions here ... but maybe TC would disagree.

Can't remember which is which as I didn't put them on in any order, but there are pics here taken before they were slipped first time, only for the lure to stop before the first gate, and pics taken while they then waited in the slips for the problem to be fixed before they could go again ... the last one is definitely one of those, hence Finn's coat thrown over them. They were both so good given how long they unfortunately had to wait. And when they did eventually run they both did so brilliantly and were close all the way ... it was a lovely course :D

Comparison shots would be interesting ... I agree Badge is a bit bulkier than Finn (sorry, I can't think of a better way to put it either) but they are both really powerful dogs. Finn of course suffered that nasty cut to his foot a few weeks ago and was on enforced rest for quite a while ... would be lovely if we could have a rematch when both dogs were at their peak :) )
No, you were right, I totally agree about the character/temperament. Badge is a Harry son through and through lol! I definitely think Finn takes after Jess more, and always have done since they were weeny pups.

Bulkier is fine :clown: Could be construed the wrong way as it's quite a harsh word, but it does make sense, but basically (imo) Badger's chest is deeper, his shoulders are broader, his neck is longer etc, his thighs are bigger (get's that from me lol) etc etc. They are both very powerful dogs, like you say. Finn has certainly matured into a nice looking dog. I'm sure he was about a year when I last saw him, and he's turned out nice.

Oh and as for being obvious about why you didn't post that last picture.....yes, cos my thighs and arse looks HUGE :eek: (w00t) :x

I'm sure there will be a rematch one day :D

TCx
I didn't mean it harshly at all ... would beefy have been better ... he's a hunky chap is Badge :wub: I'm with you on most of the differences you list although I'd say Finn's chest is as deep as Badgers.

And a huge sorry re. the pic ... I was so busy looking at Finn with the collar on his head I honestly wasn't looking at you ... Ted says he'll make sure the next lot include my ample rear view so you can get even :lol:

very narrow at the front and not the shoulders that the fawn has in that pic side by side
You are obviously entitled to your opinion ... although as I have no idea who you are I cannot know if it is an informed opinion.

Finn's front is correct as per the whippet breed standard, i.e. "not too wide", ditto his shoulders. Litter sister Vixen is one on her own ... a working whippet par excellence ... I wouldn't expect my boy to share her muscle definition.

This thread was intended to celebrate the achievements of both brothers on Sunday, and as an interesting update for those who might remember them pictured together as pups. Neither of them is perfect but both are fine, strong dogs ... both excel at what they do (and have the certificates, rosettes and trophies to prove it) ... and both mean the world to their respective owners who each know that they have the best dog :thumbsup:

You are obviously entitled to your opinion ... although as I have no idea who you are I cannot know if it is an informed opinion.

Finn's front is correct as per the whippet breed standard, i.e. "not too wide", ditto his shoulders. Litter sister Vixen is one on her own ... a working whippet par excellence ... I wouldn't expect my boy to share her muscle definition.

This thread was intended to celebrate the achievements of both brothers on Sunday, and as an interesting update for those who might remember them pictured together as pups. Neither of them is perfect but both are fine, strong dogs ... both excel at what they do (and have the certificates, rosettes and trophies to prove it) ... and both mean the world to their respective owners who each know that they have the best dog :thumbsup:

Thank you mentalchicken it is my opinion and not knowing you does nt alter that :) correct me if Im wrong but you said "he takes more after the dam"ie a bitch, you say the fawn and the blue took respective sex classes in a show? I'll put my house and car on the fawn took BoB will you take the bet?

Could you stick a picture on of the boys together as pups? Always love to see well put together whippets enjoying what they do best...would be lovely to compare pup to in their prime piccies though ;)

Thank you mentalchicken it is my opinion and not knowing you does nt alter that :) correct me if Im wrong but you said "he takes more after the dam"ie a bitch, you say the fawn and the blue took respective sex classes in a show? I'll put my house and car on the fawn took BoB will you take the bet?

I'm not sure why you seem to feel the need to run Finn down :( .

And surely it is never wise to judge dogs from a photo - always best to reserve judgement until seeing a dog in the flesh. Many a time I have seen photos of a dog and thought them absolutely wonderful, only to be disappointed by the real thing.

My point was not that I didn't know you, but that not knowing you I could not know if you were qualified to pass judgement ... you may well be an expert on all things whippet, or you may not be any kind of expert at all ... my only clue is in your apparent inability to tell a dog from a bitch, even when there is a whopping great hint as to the gender of the pictured dogs in the thread title "The Brothers Mallyfield" ;)

Clearly you missed that, as you also missed that TC and I are agreed that Finn takes after his dam in character and temperament not physique, with the exception of his head in profile, which although it carries the stamp of his sire clearly indicates to those that knew both dogs that he is his mother's son.

As to who took the Whippet Champ title at Pride of the Peaks ... why on earth would I bet on something that I posted about back in September in a thread that congratulated Mally and Vixen on their win for the second consecutive year. I do believe the judge on the day told Mally that it was almost too close to call, but am happy to be corrected if I'm wrong about that. And of course where Finn had won Whippet Dog and Brace, Vixen had won Whippet Bitch, Brace, and Working Whippet, a class in which Finn was not entered as he is not regularly worked ... he is instead a lure coursing dog and an agility dog who is sometimes shown. If I had been the judge on the day I would have awarded Vixen the championship :thumbsup:

Oh and it's metalchicken not mentalchicken ... you been back to Specsavers lately ;)

Annie

Sorry, just tried to edit the above to include Nellie's original question ...

Is the blue in the white collar a bitch?
... but failed so have added it here :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did nt read all the thread I just looked at the pics and commented on what I saw on the two and I take it the judge agreed that the fawn was the better dog on the day

Could you stick a picture on of the boys together as pups? Always love to see well put together whippets enjoying what they do best...would be lovely to compare pup to in their prime piccies though ;)
I'm on a tight schedule at the mo so can't stop to look for loads, but I've got these two to hand

TCx

dadandkids.jpg

dadandkids2.jpg

I'm not sure what TMC has got?

Brilliant TC ... thanks ... I'll look through mine later ... just back from taking Taran and Finn swimming and Tyg has an agility masterclass (w00t) in an hour.

Found some more of them taken while they were still at Mally's and OBE and Dolly went round and took these. They were five weeks old in these pics, and from what I remember about 4.5 months in the previous one's I posted tonight with their sire.

TCx

finn1.jpg

badge1.jpg

finnnbadge.jpg

What lovely handsome chaps, i remeber them trying to tell 'Dad how much they loved him 8)

Found some more of them taken while they were still at Mally's and OBE and Dolly went round and took these. They were five weeks old in these pics, and from what I remember about 4.5 months in the previous one's I posted tonight with their sire.
TCx

finn1.jpg

badge1.jpg

finnnbadge.jpg
sooooooooooooo cute and what handsome boys they have grown up to be :wub:

My point was not that I didn't know you, but that not knowing you I could not know if you were qualified to pass judgement ... you may well be an expert on all things whippet, or you may not be any kind of expert at all ... my only clue is in your apparent inability to tell a dog from a bitch, even when there is a whopping great hint as to the gender of the pictured dogs in the thread title "The Brothers Mallyfield" ;)

Clearly you missed that, as you also missed that TC and I are agreed that Finn takes after his dam in character and temperament not physique, with the exception of his head in profile, which although it carries the stamp of his sire clearly indicates to those that knew both dogs that he is his mother's son.

As to who took the Whippet Champ title at Pride of the Peaks ... why on earth would I bet on something that I posted about back in September in a thread that congratulated Mally and Vixen on their win for the second consecutive year. I do believe the judge on the day told Mally that it was almost too close to call, but am happy to be corrected if I'm wrong about that. And of course where Finn had won Whippet Dog and Brace, Vixen had won Whippet Bitch, Brace, and Working Whippet, a class in which Finn was not entered as he is not regularly worked ... he is instead a lure coursing dog and an agility dog who is sometimes shown. If I had been the judge on the day I would have awarded Vixen the championship :thumbsup:

Oh and it's metalchicken not mentalchicken ... you been back to Specsavers lately ;)

Annie
:eek: cant have someone pinching the name i call you Annie :-

A few puppy pics from my archive ...

Finn, Badger and Vixen at 6 weeks

IMG_0570wl.jpg

IMG_0574wl.jpg

IMG_0573wl.jpg

IMG_0581wl.jpg

IMG_0577wl.jpg

And Finn and Vixen at 4 mths ... practising for those Pride of the Peaks wins lol

IMG_1870wl.jpg

IMG_1907wl.jpg

Will see if I can find any more :)

Edited to say maybe I need to change the thread title to The Brothers Mallyfield and their sister !

Last edited by a moderator:
lovely pics Annie :) lol think you night need to change the thread name :D

Awww thank you TC and annie for putting those on, they really are a wonderful litter - such handsome boys :wub: no idea how you chose TC!

Here are a few photo's of Finn,Vixen with there Dam Jess (god bless her) at 4 months old taken at the SDLC show at Pleasley October 2007.... If your wondering why i'm still up at 3.25am i've just got in from an enjoyable nights lamping with Vixen!!!.

for17-3.jpg

for16-4.jpg

for15-4.jpg

for14-4.jpg

for12-4.jpg

for11-4.jpg

for10-5.jpg

for22.jpg

for21-2.jpg

for19-2.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back