The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Dog Cafe

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
It's never too early in the season for a cooling dip :)

49654289308_37e400ec48_c.jpg

It's never too early in the season for a cooling dip :)

49654289308_37e400ec48_c.jpg
More like cold toes! :D Lol...if mine were to stand on same spot, their bellies would be getting wet. Oh you little one is a beauty.

More like cold toes! :D Lol...if mine were to stand on same spot, their bellies would be getting wet. Oh you little one is a beauty.
Edie and I have been to the East coast she dipped her paws into the north sea she came straight out must have been cold !!!

Folly thinks she should always keep her paws dry, if she comes across a puddle she either jumps over it or feels her way round it.

Folly thinks she should always keep her paws dry, if she comes across a puddle she either jumps over it or feels her way round it.
Funny how dogs are so different with water. My younger one is just like yours....tries her best to work around wet/muddy patches, but then again she is not concern getting wet when it is raining...as long as it involves walkies. But going into rain, as a quick 'relief' in the garden from warm house...OH NO..can't get wet, far too chilly thing to do :rolleyes:
Older one is more of water baby...she LOOOOOVES walking through mud and puddles, so this summer we shall try what she thinks of facing dip into sea....Skegness and its sandy beaches it is!:D

Jasper is - as you can see - quite happy to go in ponds, streams, sea, etc. (as long as it's gently shelving), though won't go in above chest level. But if I try to introduce the concept of paddling pools in the garden in the summer, even just putting the smallest splash of water in a container... Ooh, scary!!

Jasper is - as you can see - quite happy to go in ponds, streams, sea, etc. (as long as it's gently shelving), though won't go in above chest level. But if I try to introduce the concept of paddling pools in the garden in the summer, even just putting the smallest splash of water in a container... Ooh, scary!!
LOL...I do wonder what makes them think 'unnatural' water source is not to be trusted. o_O:D
And talking about water. We've just been to our allotment, which neither girl is really been able to explore properly as the fencing around the land is not dog proof enough for these two. So we've just started that work and now we had first test run with them to see if there is still any weak points where they could get through or even attempt it.
While running around like headless chickens...enjoying their moment of freedom and going around boundaries..little one noticed a frog in the pond and she went to close and she had bit of a swim! :D
The one that doesn't like to get wet was now covered with mucky water and pond weed! :D
That followed up a shampoo treatment :D
So now I have two clean girls...both washed and wet...AND wet house as of course it all ends up with running around bonkers to get rid of that water :rolleyes:
AND I'm pleased to find out that our security fencing job is almost done now....though they did find one part rather interesting so I suspect given time and if not kept eye on...they would both push it and try to get through. I have no doubt that they couldn't eventually succeed. So little bit more to be done and I can start some outdoor work and dogs keeping me company while I am at it.

Dogs ran and wrestled, and played, and had a great time....
While their humans tried to maintain social distancing, and not get too close to each other.
This thing really sucks :mad:
Wishing everyone to get through. And a few pictures from this morning's romp in the woods, to cheer up:
B3.jpg

B4.jpg

B8.jpg

B7.jpg

B9.jpg

B10.jpg

B2.jpg

I've just seen that the latest UK death is in the village where my mum lives - her 2 sisters, brother, and spouses all live within a mile or so and they're all in their 80s... :eek: OK, so it'll spread everywhere sooner or later, but it's stills scary.

My son's wedding in August could well be affected, too - along with all the other weddings planned for this year, of course.

Coronavirus:
How are the over 70s supposed to self isolate themselves for 4 months, when we/they still have to shop for weekly food. Not all oap's can afford to purchase 4 months worth of food in advance.
Sounds bloody stupid to me.

Apparently the government have pulled back from saying they'd have to completely self-isolate, and are now saying they should significantly restrict social contact. A lot of older people would be able to get family and friends to bring shopping, etc., but very many wouldn't. My mum said she's not going to self-isolate unless she absolutely has to - she's not missing her art classes for anyone :D

My neighbours have been told by their children they shouldn't go out though - I'm picking up a prescription for them tomorrow.

If they don't they will run the risk of dying,it's as simple as that. They are the ones at the highest risk.
If they don't it will have a knock on effect to everyone. Hospital beds will be full to the max, leaving a dilemma as to who to treat. Remember people will still be getting cancer,having heart attacks and so on,it all doesn't stop because of this virus.

For me (and many, many others) the affect of all this, understandably, is getting boarding bookings cancelled as peoples travel plans are having to change and also some of my walks as people work from home if they can or because they are self isolating.. I, like others am self employed and a lone trader, no work means no earnings.. worrying times ahead, lets just hope our government steps up and suspends peoples payments for utilities, mortgages, rents etc to help as we are all going to be in the same boat for a fair while it seems.. I would just as an extra point also like to see the news coverage of this virus maybe lead with how many people out of the confirmed cases make a full recovery, (which is the majority) instead of how many people have died... I think we all need some perspective and maybe it would help calm the panic... just my humble opinion of course, I have to add:)

Worrying times indeed, but I also think that the new reality will set in quickly, new definitions of "normal" will be in effect...

US Center of Disease Control and Prevention on the subject of the virus and dogs: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

At least this does not seem to suggest "social distancing" for dogs.
Am I off mark thinking that I can still let Baby Miles run and play with other dogs in the park, without increasing the risk of contamination if some of those dogs have infected humans in their families?

Our French vet (we have to get T's passport signed every time we come home) has been more proactive than our uk one and as of yesterday sent assurances that to date there are no proven cases of pet/human transmission.

My take on this is that although it seems dogs don't 'get' C19, they are a 'surface', in the same way that door handles, carrier bags, etc. can be (Ocado will no longer take back your used carrier bags). So if you handle your dog, your dog goes up to someone else and they pet him... the virus could, theoretically be transferred.

Now, if your dogs play with each other and you avoid touching anyone else's dog (often easier said than done), the virus could, theoretically, still be tranmitted, in the same way that if A shakes hands with B who shakes hands with C who shakes hands with D, then even if none of them 'have' C19, if A had some of the virus on their hands it could get to D.

That's not to say that you shouldn't let your dogs play with each other as the risk is almost certainly tiny.

Jasper was a star this morning. He ignored a couple of reactive dogs from down our road who were lunging and swearing at him, ignored the rukus we could hear when the dogs went round the corner and met another dog, ignored the frenzied yapping of the other dog when it came past us, ignored a spaniel, lab and Border terrier who rushed out of their house off lead and barked at him, didn't ignore a couple of schnauzers (one entire) we came close to later but after no more than some hard staring let me lead him off the path and get the chicken out, was good when we passed a reactive greyhound and didn't insist on trying to make friends because she was a pointy dog, and ignored an Airedale on the way home. All on lead, and on fairly narrow paths and roads where he hardly ever meets other dogs. I was proud of him. My chicken supplies are depleted now though, I must stockpile some!

Worrying times indeed, but I also think that the new reality will set in quickly, new definitions of "normal" will be in effect...

US Center of Disease Control and Prevention on the subject of the virus and dogs: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

At least this does not seem to suggest "social distancing" for dogs.
Am I off mark thinking that I can still let Baby Miles run and play with other dogs in the park, without increasing the risk of contamination if some of those dogs have infected humans in their families?
I suppose we could think the dog's coat as a 'surface'...we know that the virus is capable of staying alive on surfaces for few hours at least...therefore it would be quite logical to assume that anybody contaminated with virus and having touched a dog (their own or other's)..there is possibility of a virus 'transfer'. But how likely this is to happen, that is another thing.
One would think and hope that those who know they are risky cases would distance themselves from others and their pets when going outdoors.
In our case, I'm more concern of getting this virus for my dog's sake than ours. If something would happen to us, we don't have nobody to take care of them (can't even bare to think what would happen if..). We are both being in a risk group with our health issues, despite that we are not that old and relatively well, so we've decided that we just have to keep away from other people AND their dogs as much as possible. We still go out with ours, but we choose carefully where we go and what time of the day to avoid meeting others as much as possible. Luckily for we have plenty of forested/rural field areas around here so it ain't hard job to keep away from others.
DH still has to go to work, but even there they've come to alternative work arrangements. Work force of 8 men are split to two groups with different work hours, and in each group they work in pairs to keep the contact with others to bare minimum. And working in outdoors over large area of land...they barely see each other during the day.

I hope you all are coping and able to adjust to these strange times. I can fully understand and see how it can be very difficult for some to cope, people have so different life styles and circumstances...but part of it is down to mental adjustment and that can be the hardest thing to do...battle with oneself. I am actually quite enjoying this 'forced' quiet time...not having to feel guilty of being at home and able to arrange my day around my hobbies.
I admit being bit of hermit anyway, so not having to fret over the possibility of somebody coming for a unplanned visit....nobody is knocking our door uninvited and I love it! At least it is something ....:rolleyes:

My take on this is that although it seems dogs don't 'get' C19, they are a 'surface', in the same way that door handles, carrier bags, etc. can be (Ocado will no longer take back your used carrier bags). So if you handle your dog, your dog goes up to someone else and they pet him... the virus could, theoretically be transferred.

Now, if your dogs play with each other and you avoid touching anyone else's dog (often easier said than done), the virus could, theoretically, still be tranmitted, in the same way that if A shakes hands with B who shakes hands with C who shakes hands with D, then even if none of them 'have' C19, if A had some of the virus on their hands it could get to D.

That's not to say that you shouldn't let your dogs play with each other as the risk is almost certainly tiny.

Jasper was a star this morning. He ignored a couple of reactive dogs from down our road who were lunging and swearing at him, ignored the rukus we could hear when the dogs went round the corner and met another dog, ignored the frenzied yapping of the other dog when it came past us, ignored a spaniel, lab and Border terrier who rushed out of their house off lead and barked at him, didn't ignore a couple of schnauzers (one entire) we came close to later but after no more than some hard staring let me lead him off the path and get the chicken out, was good when we passed a reactive greyhound and didn't insist on trying to make friends because she was a pointy dog, and ignored an Airedale on the way home. All on lead, and on fairly narrow paths and roads where he hardly ever meets other dogs. I was proud of him. My chicken supplies are depleted now though, I must stockpile some!
Oh he has done well! He deserves his treats after all those 'temptations'.
Lol...I have more food stocked for my dogs than we have for ourselves! In fact we've have not much more than normal food levels to keep us going...but for sure my little ones are not going short!! Plenty of stockpiled chicken wings..;):D
Oh that brought into my mind what happened yesterday. DH went to do the usual shopping..'just few bits to keep us going' so it should have been obvious the few bits on the till were not a attempt to hoard logs of food. Milk, loaf of bread, a packet of cheese and he had 5 small milky bars (one per day to take into work), but he wasn't allowed for them!!! Only 4 at the time...!!:rolleyes: 'Ok then' ….what else can one say? But what if you have a big family? Although there is not that many of BIG as there used to be, but it must be utterly difficult now to get your shopping done as those families normal weekly shopping would look like serious stockpiling attempt:eek:o_O
It would be much more interesting to read stories of everyday life situations than constant listings of 'how many infected vs. dead'..or 'I went to holiday...but can't get back'.

I have to admit also, that the potentially enforced 'stay at home', or that I'm home because I have no work, is like a guilt free break as you said @Finsky , I'm planning on finishing the book I started about 2 years ago, catching up on some magazines, making some new hammocks for the ferrets and I might even get round to cleaning the oven and sorting my kitchen cupboards out...
I also think this situation could be massively worse, imagine if the virus was a zombie flesh eating virus!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:, (apologies if that's bad taste..)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back