The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Dog Cafe

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Jasper was getting a bit antsy for his afternoon walk today, and OH and I were planning to go together. OH was upstairs working so I wrote a note saying 'WALK NOW PLEASE, DADDY?', and managed to persuade Jasper to take it upstairs and give to him. It worked a treat!

This could be really useful if being around each other put a strain on our relationship - OH and I could stop talking to each other and just communicate via Jasper :D

Watch it though coz Jasper sounds like a clever bugger and he may well learn to mix up the notes so he gets extra walks and dinners exactly when he wants!!!:D

Too true, Flobo!

I saw some interesting dog body language this morning in the park. I was chatting (at distance) to B, one of the regular dog walkers who knows everyone and their dogs, and a woman came over with a labrador. All the dogs love B because he hands out treats, but today the lab seemed quite wary and cowed, which he and the lab's owner commented on.

I knew this lab - one day we saw him playing rather roughly with a cockerpoo who Jasper used to have a bit of a bromance with. Jasper used to play rough with him too till called off, but the cockerpoo seemed to revel in it. Anyway, J objected to seeing the lab duffing up HIS friend, and went and intervened. He got in between the two dogs and wasn't nasty aggressive, but made it clear to the lab that he didn't approve of his behaviour, pretty much through body language and a bit of a grrrrrrr. The lab soon wandered off, seemingly unperturbed.

This morning, I realised that it was Jasper who the lab was upset by - I lef him away, and the lab's eyes swiveled to him anxiously. I asked the owner if he was sensitive ad she said 'Oh yes - he's a big wimp.' Now, I'd just put him down as a typical pushy overconfident bouncy lab and had assumed that next time we met chances were he'd be trying to play with J. It just goes to show the effect that letting dogs 'sort it out for themselves' can have on sensitive flowers.

Dogs breakfast = Yakult, banana and Strawberries made into a smoothie with a touch of honey.
Me = Toast
Dogs dinner = Sirloin steak with peas,carrots and a couple of sprouts.
Me = Tin of soup + 3 slices of bread
Best thing is the little git still wanted some of my soup.

There's something going wrong with this lockdown game.

Dogs breakfast = Yakult, banana and Strawberries made into a smoothie with a touch of honey.
Me = Toast
Dogs dinner = Sirloin steak with peas,carrots and a couple of sprouts.
Me = Tin of soup + 3 slices of bread

That's brilliant:D
My dog’s packing his bags and is on his way over!

@Rinkydinkydo, I do hope you didn't eat all of the toast yourself - you did give her at least a crust, didn't you? ;)

Vinnie may well be coming too, but he's not so keen on the veg... husband put out some beef and veg left from his roast at the weekend and sat watching him in disbelief take a mouthful of food and spit the veg back out, we were left with an empty tray surrounded by virtually clean(he somehow still sucked the gravy off!)green beans, peas and carrots!!o_O:D

Vinnie may well be coming too, but he's not so keen on the veg... husband put out some beef and veg left from his roast at the weekend and sat watching him in disbelief take a mouthful of food and spit the veg back out, we were left with an empty tray surrounded by virtually clean(he somehow still sucked the gravy off!)green beans, peas and carrots!!o_O:D

Sometimes you just have to sit back and laugh at them with their strange quirks and habbits.
It always cracked me up watching the merry go round food dish dance when I had 5 border terriers. All identical dishes of food.... swop and change,stop and change,but never no arguing.

Sometimes you just have to sit back and laugh at them with their strange quirks and habbits.
It always cracked me up watching the merry go round food dish dance when I had 5 border terriers. All identical dishes of food.... swop and change,stop and change,but never no arguing.
LOL...mine don't argue neither..it is now given that our younger one is the one who gather anything and everything in her mouth first when older one patiently stand and watch which particular piece of meat/bone/treat the younger one will settle to eat. Once the youngster lie down with her chosen piece...that is sign that the older one is then able to pick and choose what is hers. Though every now and then I have to interfere or the young one won't part with any good bits at all..she can be 'all mine' kind of girl :rolleyes: And the other one will give me brown eyes saying...'any left for me???'

When I was a nipper our collie and Yorkie were occasionally given bones. The Yorkie - the younger dog - would do everything she could to get the collie's bone, lying down and stretching her paws towards it and so on, and eventually grabbing a corner and nicking it. I think the collie saw the Yorkie (and me and my siblings!) as her pup and indulged her, and would simply start on the Yorkie's bone... which the Yorkie would them covet all over again!

There was never the slightest animosity at all, I'm not sure I ever heard either of the dogs growl their whole lives!

The Yorkie would also sometimes bury her bones in the garden, even if they were almost as big as her. Then she'd dig them up months later and drag them into the house, leaving a trail of maggots across the carpet...

The Yorkie would also sometimes bury her bones in the garden, even if they were almost as big as her. Then she'd dig them up months later and drag them into the house, leaving a trail of maggots across the carpet...
Oh Yuk! I do try to catch my diggers out for not doing that....so instead of having them in the garden, I keep finding some 'most precious bits' hidden under our pillows/duvet/back of sofa cushions etc. Or we might wake up in the morning with a treatie next to heads on a pillow when some night time 'fairy' has deposited her gift for our pleasure :rolleyes::D They are so generous! :D

Moan alert... Jasper and I were chilling on the cricket pitch in the woods, him on lead so he couldn't run up to any treat fairies, when a woman with a handsome golden retriever came on to the field at the far side. That's handsome as 'got a bit of a strut on and Jasper is NOT going to like him' ;) The GR came running over to us, barking, probably just wanting to play but in what J would regard as a very bad mannered tone of voice. The GR being off lead and him on lead wouldn't have helped either.

I started to lead J away, and though the owner had a clear vision of us turning to leave, J on lead and muzzled, she did sod all, so I turned to the dog, put on my sternest face, held up a finger and shouted 'WAIT!!' The dog stopped, and dropped to the ground. He got up and continued to approach once we walked on, so I repeated this, which worked again. This time we got to the edge of the field and into the trees on a narrow path, and the GR decided it wasn't worth following.

All the way through, the woman did nothing, despite the fact that it was obvious that because of her, we had to leave the area, which is bloody (excuse my French) unfair. And if I could manage to control her dog, why couldn't/wouldn't she?:mad:

ETA: I should have said, I was so proud of Jasper. He'd have been more than happy to have told the dog himself what he thought of his manners, but still let me lead him away without a fuss.

Moan alert... Jasper and I were chilling on the cricket pitch in the woods, him on lead so he couldn't run up to any treat fairies, when a woman with a handsome golden retriever came on to the field at the far side. That's handsome as 'got a bit of a strut on and Jasper is NOT going to like him' ;) The GR came running over to us, barking, probably just wanting to play but in what J would regard as a very bad mannered tone of voice. The GR being off lead and him on lead wouldn't have helped either.

I started to lead J away, and though the owner had a clear vision of us turning to leave, J on lead and muzzled, she did sod all, so I turned to the dog, put on my sternest face, held up a finger and shouted 'WAIT!!' The dog stopped, and dropped to the ground. He got up and continued to approach once we walked on, so I repeated this, which worked again. This time we got to the edge of the field and into the trees on a narrow path, and the GR decided it wasn't worth following.

All the way through, the woman did nothing, despite the fact that it was obvious that because of her, we had to leave the area, which is bloody (excuse my French) unfair. And if I could manage to control her dog, why couldn't/wouldn't she?:mad:

ETA: I should have said, I was so proud of Jasper. He'd have been more than happy to have told the dog himself what he thought of his manners, but still let me lead him away without a fuss.

If nothing else @JudyN it just shows how easy it is to steal a dog if you want to.

Just a random, but I discovered this Mongolian band on youtube last year called The Hu, i ordered their album, 'Gereg' and it turned up yesterday and I'm loving it! Not sure what everyone is into but if you fancy something a bit different have a listen on youtube:)

Those vocals are just a bit too gravelly for me, Flobo!

One good thing about the lockdown is all the extra time OH has to do the gardening. To be fair, they had both been digging...

49817378952_1ddba349f5_c.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back