The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Trophy Hunters

milliken

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
ten years ago here in ireland walk around any lurcher show you could nearly say ever dog done some work but the thing now seems to be trophy hunting as all i seem to hear these day is my dog won this my dog won that very rarely a working dog wins in the show ring and even some the one that do work there dogs get them out once a week if there lucky and and bum and blow about it does any one eles get the feeling that alot of people breed no longer for working abilty and try to get the best looking or fatest dog around and then working abilty is next on the list for me it has to be worker to work never minded looks if looks could kill i would have a yard full of buetys

robert

What does it matter as long as everyone enjoys what they do with their dogs? :unsure:

If a dog works once a week whats the problem. Some people hold down a mon-fri job. And to be honest my dogs get out twice aweek at most,Apart from when work is quiet/holidays. The shows are just abit of fun, Its the judge's opinion and its hard to prove if your dog has worked or not. A working dog presented correctly should be well conditioned and fit not just taken out for work only. I just enjoy it when I'm out 1 day or everyday. :thumbsup:

do you really belive you could have a decent dog if its worked once a week ie high would you judge the stamina of the dog when its had a rest of over a week IF you work it once a week that roughly 30 time you have the dog out with the long the hunting season is is this enough to really test the dog to see if it is good enough to be used at stud or as a bitch to take a litter out of and what if the dog get lied up there is less time in the field to see what quiltyes the dog has this is just my views ever one and dog is diffrent

as for what it matter there are people out there breeding just for looks working abilty is not inportanted these are working lurcher shows WORKING and the winners have never seen a days work

robert

do you really belive you could have a decent dog if its worked once a week ie high would you judge the stamina of the dog when its had a rest of over a week IF you work it once a week that roughly 30 time you have the dog out with the long the hunting season is is this enough to really test the dog to see if it is good enough to be used at stud or as a bitch to take a litter out of and what if the dog get lied up there is less time in the field to see what quiltyes the dog has this is just my views ever one and dog is diffrent
as for what it matter there are people out there breeding just for looks working abilty is not inportanted these are working lurcher shows WORKING and the winners have never seen a days work

robert

Whether its 1 day aweek or everyday as long as they do the job and please you that's all that matters.

Judges at shows if organised correctly should have a judge that has worked dogs and been around working dogs most his life.He should have reasonable eye for what he chooses.

Surely a judge is judging how well a dog is put together, and how well the dog is put together is what is passed onto its offspring, whether its worked or not has no bearing on either fact, although I agree a well worked fit dog like Mallys Vixen is a sight to behold :thumbsup:

robert
I think you will find that a class for a working dog is a general term - like the working dog group at Crufts - do you think those dogs work day and night? :lol:

What does it matter as long as everyone enjoys what they do with their dogs? :unsure:

It obviously does to the people who work their dogs. :cheers:
Well they should just get on with it, and not interfere in other people's interests. Your views are very single minded. If you dislike what goes on at Lurcher shows - don't go - simple eh? :thumbsup:

Not everyone has the chance to work their dogs - whether they want to or not. I dont think you should HAVE to work your dog if you dont want to nor should you show your dog if you dont want. On a personal level I wish I did live somewhere I could work my dogs with permission (and that I had the knowledge of how to do it and train my dogs properly - but I dont. :( and yes when I had terriers and lurchers, I have shown them and taken prizes - not because I was a trophy hunter, but because the shows used to be fun, the money went to a good cause AND I was damn proud of my dogs who could have done the job given the chance. I guess what Im trying to say is were not all as lucky as you :thumbsup:

im sure if you really want to work your dogs then you could im sure that there are people in your area that would be more than willing to take you out and show you the ins and outs as for me being lucky im far from it just happened that my father worked lurchers and terriers and i fell in with a good dog men who where only to kind to help me learn the rope and take me out then the breeder of my first working whippet who give me the dog that done every thing i asked of him and more and i belive only for this dog being so good working whippet may not of been my game

robert

most lurcher people i know work theyre dogs and dont bother with shows,each to theyre own i say.it can pee you off if you get beat in a working class by a dog that obviously doesnt but any decent judge should be able to tell by a dogs condition,muscle tone etc what work it does.heres a few pics of one that does everything :thumbsup:

worklurch-1.jpg

008-1-1.jpg

bellaatEELC.jpg

as long as your happy with your dogs robert dont worry about it :thumbsup:

most lurcher people i know work theyre dogs and dont bother with shows,each to theyre own i say.it can pee you off if you get beat in a working class by a dog that obviously doesnt but any decent judge should be able to tell by a dogs condition,muscle tone etc what work it does.heres a few pics of one that does everything :thumbsup:
worklurch-1.jpg

008-1-1.jpg

bellaatEELC.jpg

Excellent post Chill, and lovely dog :thumbsup:

worklurch-1.jpg

008-1-1.jpg

bellaatEELC.jpg

hi it does not annoy me but as you say getting beat in a working class would pee me of to i thought this would be a intresting debate to start and hear others views on it and hi they feel about the lurcher become a show dog and not getting worked each to there own but i like to use my dog first and for most as workers if they win a show all well and good thats a smashing dog by the way

robert

I er must be a trophy hunter.... :teehee:

nice collection sparky :thumbsup: bighead :lol: :lol: ;)

Interesting debate we have here,i can see both sides of view,i was wondering what i would answer then i asked myself girl why after all those years of having staffs did u go and get a lurcher,answer,i promised myself once my young lad reached 16 i was going to do something i enjoyed,it had to do something with dogs.As a young lass many moons ago i went with my grandad an his greys,then my uncles had lurchers and i,d always tag along with them,then my 1st serious fella had lurchers so they were there all my young life till i was 18.I love the hills,i love doing what most women my age wont,well so i thought then.I got this breed for one thing hunting,and i am pleased i did,never thought about showing till getting on sites like this one,but hunting comes first,but i must admit if it says working show then thats what it is,but if i recall rightly i could be wrong there are 2 working type shows one for showing your dog work,and one for showing working type breeds.But i will work mine and hope to race it in the future but i would not get upset if mine worked and the other dog against me didn,t,its still sportmans ship to me.they are other shows i can enter to show my dog working.All the folk i have met recently with the lurchers are not trophy hunters their all like me.But if i did enter a show and just got a rossette believe me i would be the happiest person alive.But good luck with all the dogs. (w00t)

i've moved this topic to the lurcher section as i think it will get a better response.

I love a trophy me! :thumbsup: got 11 up on my mantel piece on display, i would love to see a few more i would find space some where for them :lol: didn't win any in 2008 :( but my 10 year old daughter made up for me she won 6 in total for lurcher child handling, chase the bunny and terrier showing :thumbsup: THATS MY GIRL! We love it 2009 bring it on showing and racing can't wait. i don't really live in the right enviroment to be going hunting as i'm in south london but would love to see my dogs do a bit, they have caught the odd rabbit and fox on wimmbledon common over the years plenty of squirels :lol: but i have to really careful where i live so many anti's here, being in london, the amount of runners i've had to do with my hounds over the years you wouldn't believe (w00t) At the end of the day whatever you dogs love to do let them if you can, i do :)) Clare.

firstly happy new year.

i have over the years, owned quite a few dogs, being lurchers, terriers and greyhounds, i have enjoyed working them all, especially hare coursing, but every dog that i have owned has won quite a few shows, and racing, all have which have been a credit to own, whatever they have excelled in.

I have also judged many a show, when someone has put a dog in front of me that has big soft muscles that look the part but don't feel the part, im affraid they are not picked, the same as muscle bound dogs to me if they are hard muscle bound they wouldn't be be able to do much, muscles should be defined and supple not hard or flabby, a lot of show bred lurchers have a lot of time and effort put into them so they are fit, obviously not working fit as there is a difference between the two, but fit all the same as a lot of them wouldn't win, a big pet hate for me when judging is poor feet, no dog would be any good wether working or racing if they have shot feet, at the end of the day its the judges preference to who wins wether they are working or show dogs, showing and racing are a bit of fun during the summer months and should not be political, this is only my opinion.

Good luck to everyone that owns a dog whatever they do with it, they are a pleasure to own

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back