The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Tyrone Bend Open

great track but a bit cold some fantastic races from young dog,s and some old one,s . Some dog,s came of lame ,but that happens at most race meeting,s dogs coming of with niggling injuries cuts and grazes this had nothing to do with the track. great running track cracking run to the first bend ,if your dog does,nt run this track he wount run any

gypsy queen withdrew from the 36lb scratch final she cut the inside of her toe on her front foot and no matter what steve put on it or even strapping it up it would not stop bleeding it was still bleeding when he got home.

anyway good luck to everybody at the championships

yeah it was a fantastic track...but also well done to all the the workers, in particular Doreen on the mic, and Bill and Dennis on the traps, it was very cold...well done.

Paul

RealMadYid said:
yeah it was a fantastic track...but also well done to all the the workers, in particular Doreen on the mic, and Bill and Dennis on the traps, it was very cold...well done.
Paul

I fully endorse all the praise given, it was a really good meeting, However if I can be critical (constructive of course) The lads on the traps did a marvelous job, no fast or slow traps at all, but I do think the start the hare got was far too long.

Stainforth greyhounds don't get anything like that, and the're faster than our dogs.

Another thing that was discussed at trackside was:

101 entrys, 27 where scratch dogs, Why didn't 1st and 2nd go through in the scratch races as did the weight classes .?

On a lighter note Well done to Bruce and Di, a very impressive preformance.

Cheers Mick

i think it was only 1st and 2nd in the veterans mick but im not 100% sure. :wacko:

mick doreen was unsure about the scrath so i rang my dad (john fitzpatrick porky) about last years meeting and he txt me bk sayin that last year they done winner only and losers could enter the consolation, hope this helps andy..

still got txt message to prove it

showed a few trackside on sunday aswell who were askin about it!

I fully agree with you Mick - but also make comment that the time taken for the lure to be started once the dogs were inside the traps was very long. Moany Moany's injury occured in the traps whilst waiting a long length of time for the lure to begin to move.

Other than that a good venue by all accounts and hopefully the Championship meeting will go off wihtout a hitch.

It is in (near to) Doncaster.

A good hour North of Warwick - I understand you know where that is.

piglet said:
mick doreen was unsure about the scrath so i rang my dad (john fitzpatrick porky) about last years meeting and he txt me bk sayin that last year they done winner only and losers could enter the consolation, hope this helps andy..
Thanks Andy, that explains why it was winners only. Perhaps this should be looked at?.

I for one, would like to see the scratch dogs given the same treatment as the weight class dogs. No more, but no less. Cheers Mick

Yes and i agree with that Mick also as they pay as much as others to join and run- so it is quite right that they receive the same treatment.

Whilst we are on with this i personally would like to see the smaller dogs/bitches running first instead of all the big ones- that way the track would be a much better surface for them and also they would get a longer break between races- i think its only common sense to run a meeting that way- after all the bigger dogs should in theory be able to run a further distance and not need as long a break by size alone-

they got the same treatment didnt they it was winner only all day if u were beat u cud go in the consolation..... am i wrong??

prime example oscars pride finished 2nd in its heat and ran in consolation

Fleesh said:
I fully agree with you Mick - but also make comment that the time taken for the lure to be started once the dogs were inside the traps was very long. Moany Moany's injury occured in the traps whilst waiting a long length of time for the lure to begin to move.
Other than that a good venue by all accounts and hopefully the Championship meeting will go off wihtout a hitch.

But, still about 3 times quicker than straight racing were have to have to watch the owners walk 150 yds up the the track...yeah it was slow a few times...and it was cold...but, i'm sure that didn't injure any dogs...All athletes will incur injuries, we were putting 3-5 dogs around the 1st bend with just one or two bumps...which is racing...I often go to Romford greyhound stadium and there is carnage in almost every race, with six big dogs fighting for position at the 1st bend...

Kind Regards

I don't recall mentioning anything about the track, the first bend or the number of dogs that went into it at once ...

Sorry, you misunderstood...my apologises. but, I thought you were worried that the dogs were left too long in the traps? my point was that in our straight racing the dogs are left a lot longer in the traps whilst we await the lure than they are bend racing. that is all..

Thankyou for clearing that up Paul - I was trying to find a link between the comment first made and the second part referring to bumping on bends.

Though it is sadly true and Moany Moany WAS injured in the boxes whilst waiting for the sound of the lure - she would then set to come out.

On another note whilst I'm here - I forgot my trapboard from the open and went to collect it from Stainforth today,there was another one left behind, made out of plywood with a rough car floor mat on it. The mat had blue edging.

I fetched the board home with me as it would have stood outside at the stadium and been rained on otherwise. If anyone knows whose it is please ask them to get in touch just so they know where it is ...

how do you no your dog injury happened in the traps it could have been any point in the race why the traps

Well if the dog was sound BEFORE entering the traps, was sound ON entering the traps but didn't come out the traps as normal, didn't sprint from the traps as normal and didn't sprint as normal FULL STOP from the start of the race then I should think that is sufficient evidence to suggest that the dog was injured IN the traps.

I KNOW there was a clash between dogs on the bend and that may have ADDED to the injury already present.

It was unfortunate for the bitch, if anyone doubts I am telling the truth about an injury being present I suggest you speak to Neil Pemberton who put her kneck and back in for me after the race.

Anyone have any other silly questions while I am here ? :- "

P.S Any takers for this trap board yet ?

Last edited by a moderator:
for the scratch racing the starter in the judges box was doin the traps i think and startin the hare and doin the time on the stopwatch he only had 1 pair of hands aswell, but dont no why it happened in ure race cos bill was the trapman there cud b lots of reaasons why ure dog got injured it mite of been the dogs fault and not the trapman or the haredriver..

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back