The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Tyrone Bend Open

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm afraid Piglet that you may not have read the topic properly - I can't find anything in the whole topic referring (or implying to) fault with any party on any matter.

I also don't see a sentance stating there was a long wait for the lure to move off in Moany Moany's race alone.

Anyone else ? :blink:

fleesh dose it accur to u that the dog was havin an off day which does happen now and again :p

also i thought stainford was an fantastic track and u could split hairs on either track yer run on

hope yer dog ok

andy

I'm sorry but it has nothing to do with whether Moany was having an "off day" or not. I had spoken to many people during the course of the morning and had stated that Blaze was not expected to run at her best on the day due to unforseen circumstances (In fact had I known they would run trials on the day Moany would not have been entered to race at all). Moany was not expected to WIN the race and I am not trying to say that she would have were she not injured.

I was simply adding to Mick, Steve, etc. in the points that they had picked up on during the day "constructive criticism" I belive it is called - at the end of the day there was a long wait for the lure to move off in MANY races throughout the afternoon and that is what I picked up on.

Andy, thanks for thinking of the bitch. You will be glad to know that Moany Moany is 100% sound once again and has been able to go out training this week now that there are no "unforseen circumstances" to trouble her. Hope to see you at Westhoughton on Sunday.

I hope this misunderstanding on many parts can be laid to rest now and we can look forwards to the "big day".

P.S Once again DOES ANYONE KNOW THE OWNER OF THE TRAP BOARD ?? :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dogs can go lame any time, micky mac jumped out the van at seaham and did a whip muscle, fullstop used to put her neck out getting off the chair at home.

Also most dogs havent had alot of racing this time of the year so need to get back to fitness so injuries will occur.

I am sure you will have moany moany right for the bend champs

I found this quite interesting reading

TRAINER'S TIPS

Careful observation during a race, or replay of a race video, of the way a greyhound jumps at the start, negotiates the bends, chases, rotates its tail, or throws a limb to the side can give useful clues to location of injuries.

This diagram illustrates some of the possible injuries that result in changes of direction, failing to chase, or loss of speed.

An examination of the greyhound after the race should focus on these areas, but a full examination and muscle check should still be carried out, with referral to your vet to confirm your suspicion and advice on treatment.

Frightened to Jump Chronic wrist pain / often pull up Metacarpal (shin) soreness, lame after race

Poor Jump from Traps / Boxes Poor eyesight, pannus, conjunctivitis Trapped testicle(s) Lumbo-sacral pain

Start to mid First Bend

Deviates suddenly to outside of track Right hip support soreness Trapped testicle(s) Right gracilis (back) muscle Fractured hock

Start of First Bend

Deviates suddenly across track to rail Left shoulder triceps soreness Fracture of left fibula bone

Mid First Bend

Slows down, runs wide Older greyhounds right forearm bone soreness Lure sight loss Cramping?

End of First Bend

Props, tail raised, or runs off to outside Right hip support soreness Right gracilis (back) muscle rupture Lumbo-sacral soreness Metacarpal (shin) soreness if not chasing

Acceleration first Straight

Slow acceleration /fail to chase, head up, high stepping gait Poll or cervical injury

Start of Second Bend

Loses speed, tail up,

not chasing, maintains

direction. Right hock sprain Left wrist sprain Metacarpal (shin) soreness if tail rotates side to side.

Mid Second Bend

Runs wide, loses speed

Sharp spare rib bruising to left hind Subclinical cramping - check in catching area Right hock fracture if enters final straight on three legs

End of Second Bend

Slows down, continues lame, pulls up holding right hind limb off ground Fracture of right hock - check in catching area Shortened front stride, rotate or elevates tail - metacarpal (shin) soreness

Back Straight

Changes driving leg left to right, wobbles side to side, throws out left hind Left hip support soreness Lumbo-sacral soreness - check track leg area Young greyhound learning to gallop

Final Straight

Swings or windmills left hind, runs off to side after last bend Near side hip support injury slows down - drops back Cramping, fractures, toe injuries - check in catching area.

Catching Area Holds one front limb off ground - wrist sprain or metacarpal (shin) soreness Check for subclinical cramping - hard back and knotted hind limb muscles Phlegm on flanks - tracheitis Breathing distress - respiratory disease electrolyte imbalances anaemia Collapse - heat stress

dee to lazy to swap to my k9 user name

hi Mutley,

I liked your comments. As i'm with my 1st dog, and he was well beaten by Midnight Run, i put it down to being beaten by an excellent dog (which is true). However, several people have commented from our club that he hasn't been right for a few weeks, but I wouldn't dare take anything away from the winners. I raced my dog to win, he didn't. And, I'm sure we've all had this experience. I know now my dog peaked at the the end of last of year, and is now tired, and may, and maybe not have an injury, but like any athlete, you cannot sustain first class form at all times...

To end, I'd I'd say 'every dog has his day'

Paul

feesh i was not suggesting that you made up the injury,or anything else i was just puzzled at your statement that moany hurt herself in the traps she could have hurt herself at anytime in the race and that includes the traps

Dee where on earth do you find all this information ? I think it's brilliant !!! :D

Sorry JeffB that you thought my comment was aimed at yourself personally, it was not intended so. :* But alas some people are of the idea that I was just making excuses for the bitch not winning the race, which as most of you will understand now was not and was not intended to be the case.

If my bitch gets an injury or appears not to be "right" I like to know what the injury is, how it occured, where it occured and as soon as possible so I am able to make the animal less distressed by any pain present. As I'm sure you'll all agree the health and wellbeing of the dog is of paramount importance at the end of it all.

Paul - I hope Rory is OK, you should have mentioned something on the day if you or fellow racers thought your dog was not right there might have been someone there who was able to help (as I was lucky enough with my bitch), or at least put your mind at ease. I doubt anyone would see it as you whining because your dog did not win, in fact I think most would ask after his welfare out of genuine concern. Hope you discover soon if he is hiding an injury and can put him right if so ... :huggles:

fleesh if you go to ask jeeves and type in greyhound injuiries you will get plenty to keep you reading for a day

steve

Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

I have just run out of time to edit my post re. the message to Paul. I re-read my post and it sounded (to me) as though I was being condescending towards Paul and it was not intended so :b . (I'm on my soap box today) It was intended to send best wishes to the dog and just to let him know that there are people out there willing to help if he is at any point concerned for his dog.

I must get off my soap box ... :lol:

With the very best of intentions in regards to all matters :huggles:

Fleesh (the ever humble) - YEAH RIGHT !!!

:oops:

Paul i dont know how true this is as i myself have never tried it --- having both dogs and bitches the dogs go off whilst bitches are in season-- but i was told that if your Dog is running really well thats the time to give him a short rest then bring him back and he will run even better--- this was by a man who only had dogs --food for thought maybe

nothing lost by giving it a try eh? Also your comments about Midnight-Run were very true---he is a brilliant dog --like your own on his day-- we all have off days dont we its just a case of bringing it all together on the right day-- thats why horse trainers get big wages if they can do it right . like us some do and some dont. but we keep trying

steve

Fleesh get off the box and it might be ok for a kick board or a storage box for the odd bra or two belonging to you know WHO!

I don't think it would have THAT MUCH storage !!! :- "

I think your right Steve, our little dogs are so keen to run, even if they could tell you they wasn't 100%, i'm sure they wouldn't. And, no I wouldn't take anything away from any other dog, if the dog and their owners have got got everything right, fair play and well done to them...it is hard work sometimes...and i've only got one dog! And, another pup due to be collected in April :)

Anyways, back to the topic, I still say that Stainforth is THE best bend track I have visited...and you'd be really unlucky if your dog injured racing there.

My only gripe last week is that not everyone paid their entrance fee, which at a new venue we really didn't need.

Anyways, I will be happy to go for the champs.

Paul

Fleesh said:
Dee where on earth do you find all this information ? I think it's brilliant !!!  :D
JUST BROWSING THE NET, IVE GOT SOME OTHER STUFF ILL SORT IT OUT

Also, thanks Fleesh, I dunno if he is hiding an injury...he may well be fine, I can't find anything wrong, but we all know deep down when our dogs are not right, I wish they could talk!

Anyhow, there is no point taking racing dogs to your average vet as they do not understand them, or what they are bred to do...another subject about to start :)

kipper fluke said:
No Paul-Everyone didn't pay their entrance fee-we noticed that too :(
Karen

:eek: karen we never paid our entrance fee, we got there at 12,45 there was no one to take our money.so if certain people have a gripe,get them to sit and take the entrance fee all day. we support just about evry open up and down the country,not just the ones around the doors,any way they will make it back at the champs,as they have bumped the price up, :thumbsup: i hope i dont get charged twice :sweating:

why wasnt it done like easington? everybody gets booted out and the gates r locked then everyone pays to get back in sorted. :D

Even at easington people can get in without paying. Joe is good with us whippet racers to only charging £2 to gain entry and not charging anything to use the track. Im looking foward to the champs. sounds like a nice venue and £3 is nothing really.

Kenny M- Yes maybe you should be charged twice next time + interest eh? :p

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back