The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Walking Whippets.

Foxglove

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
This is probably a really dumb question and I've ummed and aaahed about asking it for a couple of days but what the heck.....who better to ask than folks who are owned by whippets :b

Finally, after quite a few years without a dog, everything is spot-on to bring another dog into our life once more :thumbsup: All we (husband Neil and myself) need to do now is decide on what breed and/or type! :wacko:

At first we both agreed on a whippet because they are a fabulous breed but then last week Neil was not sure because he'd been talking to a guy who races whippets & greyhounds and he'd said that they don't enjoy lots of exercise and you can't get them out the front door if it's raining!

We enjoy getting out for longish (between five to seven miles or so, often less) walks in the Northumbrian countryside and along the gorgeous beaches we have up here. We also take two/three short breaks in the Lake District as we have friends living there and we enjoy taking caravan holidays there too.

Usually our walks are more like rambles as I'll often stop to watch birds/wildlife through my binoculars, take photos and there's generally a sandwich stop along the route :lol: They are definitely not like a military march at full speed with the aim of covering as much ground in as short a time as possible! (w00t)

What are whippets like in the rain too? Or plodging in water/going swimming?

Personally i cant see why a whippet wouldn't be happy on walks like this, summer and winter, but just wanted to check with whippet owners who actually live with the breed :b I, especially, love being outdoors and I would hate to make some poor whippet miserable by being dragged outdoors when he/she would much rather stay in!

Apologies for such stupid questions but I really want to make the correct choice as to which breed to go for :b

Ours absolutely love going on long rambling walks.

I went for a week in the Lake District last month and 2 of the whippets came with us, they absolutely loved it.

If it is raining mine will wear a rain coat as they're not keen on getting wet, but as soon as they'r out in it they're fine.

Of course they love snuggling on the sofa too, but mine love nothing more than mooching around outside. :thumbsup:

That's exactly how I thought they would be :D

Neil is now talking about the possibility of a Border Collie. Now don't get me wrong, I love collies and we both looked after a VERY lively youngster nine years ago so have a fair inkling of what the breed is like BUT I'm under no illusions that they ARE a breed that requires work! Lots of training and exercise and not for the faint hearted (w00t)

I think a whippet (or two :- " ) would be a lot less hassle and far more rewarding (and relaxing!!!) :lol:

Our whippet loves walks, especially beach or woodland like you are describing, and the weather doesn't worry him one bit! :) I know there are a few who are not so keen on the rain, but usually once they are out and charging about they love it! :thumbsup:

Good luck with your search for a wonderful whippet to share your life with :luck:

tallula and bean love the long walks that we have taken since moving to Scotland - as long as we take a yummy picnic and a blanket for them to rest on, they are more than happy.

the day following our adventure we do not see Bean at all - she is under her duvet :wub:

talulla just keeps asking when we are going again (w00t)

we are surrounded by Border Collies here and i can honestly say that i find them amazing - so bright and well behaved.....

that is the one part of a Collie that i would love to see in my whippies - CONTROL!!!!!

good luck with your choice (go whippet :- " )

t x

Foxglove said:
That's exactly how I thought they would be  :D  
  Neil is now talking about the possibility of a Border Collie.  Now don't get me wrong, I love collies and we both looked after a VERY lively youngster nine years ago so have a fair inkling of what the breed is like BUT I'm under no illusions that they ARE a breed that requires work!  Lots of training and exercise and not for the faint hearted  (w00t)  

I think a whippet (or two  :- " ) would be a lot less hassle and far more rewarding (and relaxing!!!)  :lol:

:D :thumbsup: Now what a good idea that is ...... two is a great number for whippies :huggles:

Mine don't care about the weather ..... and, like Rachel's, they have raincoats if necessary.

(Collies are fantastic dogs but they are true working dogs and need 24/7 brain stimulation. Unless you have a flock of sheep, or the space to build in an agility course at home, they are probably not the best choice :unsure: )

:luck: :luck: with getting the right whippets!!! :thumbsup:

my lot will walk all day long althou ollie and poppy not to keen on rain but with a coat on they dont mind at all and as for swimming whippets, this pic says it all (w00t) :- "

my blue having a dip last summer :- "

P4060031.jpg

Wow! That is one fabulous pic of Blue swimming :lol: I've never seen a whippet in deep....lots of them plodging in the sea and lakes but never actually swimming! (w00t)

Thanks for all your replies guys :thumbsup: I KNEW whippets weren't softies but thought I'd best check with folks who actually live with them and would be honest about pros and cons :)

There's a dog training club a mile or two from where I live that does obedience, agility and flyball so if we did get a collie I'd definitely be joining (I used to do obedience when I was a teenager with my first dog and absolutely loved it) but hey - what's to stop a whippet doing a wee bit of training too :lol: I'm not obsessed with doing competition or anything, just want to give my dog a happy fulfilled and fun life 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
gypsy would rather be indoors if its raining, but once i have shoved her out the door she is fine (she has her coat on) although she has been known to walk round puddles rather than through them :- "

we walk for miles with her and she is fine and loves it :thumbsup:

Foxglove said:
Wow!  That is one fabulous pic of Blue swimming  :lol:   I've never seen a whippet in deep....lots of them plodging in the sea and lakes but never actually swimming!  (w00t)  
  Thanks for all your replies guys  :thumbsup:   I KNEW whippets weren't softies but thought I'd best check with folks who actually live with them and would be honest about pros and cons  :)  

There's a dog training club a mile or two from where I live that does obedience, agility and flyball so if we did get a collie I'd definitely be joining (I used to do obedience when I was a teenager with my first dog and absolutely loved it) but hey - what's to stop a whippet doing a wee bit of training too  :lol:   I'm not obsessed with doing competition or anything, just want to give my dog a happy fulfilled and fun life  8)

Then get yourself a whippet my friend, no better companion, brill pic young Nicky :thumbsup:

I love long walks in the country too. I live in the Peaks now and Fred has accompanied me on loads of long walks over moorland, up steep hills, down dales and so on. He's even walked up a Munro or two in Scotland. Don't overdo it when they are young, but as soon as they are old and strong enough you can do longish walks with them and they'll happily tag along, enjoying the walk and smells as they go along. I always pop Fred's coat in my rucksack in the winter months as they do get cold if you stop or if it rains. His only hate is water and he won't wade streams or deep puddles if he can help it (although it's a fine sight to see them leap over them in one go just like a gazelle!), but he has gamely bog trotted over the wettest moorlands...no problem. He even learned to jump over stiles which was a big help.

Whippets do enjoy a good run first and foremost, and you'll find a young whippet will want to lark about and run and dash about, but they soon settle into the walk. Just ensure you get them trained not to be interested in sheep, as this will really assist you on walks. :thumbsup:

Sadly this is the first year where Fred really can't manage the longer walks anymore.

Good luck whatever you decide... :luck:

My choice would be a whippet.. :lol: we live in a rural area and my boys like nothing better than ambling round our countryside, bunny hunting and plodging too of course sometimes.. :lol: :thumbsup: Mine dont mind any weather...

heres another swimming whippie at the seaside...

Beach-SeaburnOct07030c4op1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in the States, so have slightly different weather. Will admit, my whippets really hate the rain. No amount of coats or gear will make them tolerate it. They just hang their little heads and plod along and try to turn back home at every opportunity. :)

But...they absolutely LOVE exercise. Fortunately, I only get rain 2-4 days out of every year. Every single other day of the year I hike with them in the mountains for 2-3 hours. Usually 7-10 miles every day. Usually they get a minimum of 50 miles per week. They love it and beg for more.

When I first got whippets, the first question I posted was...."how the heck much exercise do these guys really need to be happy and healthy, because I'm afraid I don't have enough energy!" The last thing I'd think you need to worry about is their inability to keep up.

And a VERY good thing about whippets and wet, muddy walks...THEY DRY AND CLEAN SO EASILY. :thumbsup:

A wet, muddy collie after a long walk...UGH :x

Just got back from a couple of hour ramble with my lot - I have a 10month old Whippet and a 13year old Border Collie.

It's taken me about 2 minutes to clean the incredibly muddy river/mud dipping whippet and I'm just about to go and Tackle the border collie which will take somewhat longer!

Blue is happy whatever the weather as long as she's out for a walk - she won't go in the garden at all when it's raining though! But out in the fields she doesn't really notice the rain!

My 10 year old Tibetan Spaniel has managed to come home spotless :wub:

Bluebell adores every minute of her walks - and lives them to the full, even when she's tired she only has to run through a bit of water and she's off flying around tail between legs and hurtling this way and that - idiotic animal :wub:

I'd go for a whippet :thumbsup: Penny the whippet is our first dog and I don't think I will have any other breed now. She is happy to go on long walks with us, and doesn't bother if we stop for a bit she is quite happy waiting patiently. She really likes walks in the country, she doesn't like going in water though. Good luck in what you decide

Mine love playing in water and long walk, though one is very snooty about the rain and demands to have her coat put on before she gets out of the car.

181e65d4.jpg

2365e1ed.jpg

085c46ff.jpg

162dd30c.jpg

02c5cb50.jpg

We have 2 whippets (Dolly and Remmy) and a Collie X (Bobby). They love caravan holidays and we do a lot of walking when we are away. We walked up the Old Man of Coniston with Bobby and Dolly a couple of years ago. The whippets aren't keen on the rain, but they wear coats when it's cold so it isn't a problem.

I don't think we would have any breed other than a whippet now. Bobby (who has some Collie in him) has been a lot of hard work over the years and not easy to live with. My brother has a Border Collie and she needs a lot of mental stimulation, so wouldn't recommend one unless you have loads of time. The whippets seem so easy at home and tend to spend a lot of time sleeping. -_- Another bonus is they hardly moult at all. :)

Whippets seem so versatile, so you can have a lot of fun with them - mine go to a local dog training club once a week and Dolly has done a beginners agility course. I also have recently started to take them racing. :huggles:

Good luck with whatever you decide. :luck: :luck:

I may have an abnormal whippet but we can be spotted, rain, hail snow or blow walking the Northumberland coast twice a day without fail (Druridge mostly). If it is really cold and windy Rifle wears a coat but would really rather be without it! He isn't at all fussy about the weather, and we are often out very early mornings. When the weather is good he would stay out all day just mooching around with me. And he loves a dip in the sea too!

I secind what others have said about whippets being easier to clean and dry too! I regularly look after a lab and a border collie for a friend and my daughter summed it up - they are like tractors - plough through everything!! They take ages to clean and dry!

:luck: with whatever you choose.

Outside for a wee wee in the pouring rain, even though they're wearing a fleece lined waterproof coat and you're stood out like a numpty offering to hold a brolly over their heads ... NOOOOO WAY ON YOUR LIFE !!!

Bucketing it down, soak to the skin weather with a lead on and the promise of a walkie and a good off-lead mooch. No coats ? WHO CARES !!! Where do we queue for leading up :cheers: .

Sums it up really :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back