The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Watchout Dog Thieves

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have to agree with this post....i work for the police, (dont ban me) and i am always attending meetings in the local area. People are always saying to me oh yeah weve had 10 cars broken into and the police did nothing, i ask if they reported it and 9 times out of 10 they havent. At the end of the day the police arent mind readers they only know where the crime is happening if residents tell them. Ok so they cant always do anything about it, but they become aware and it builds up a picture of crime, the little thing you tell them could be the final picece in the jigsaw.....at the end of the day report report report....
Thanks Kim and Tilly for this ... I ought also to have said, I do report everything to the Police myself, even tho I moan if nothing "seems to happen" because I appreciate they cannot build up a picture of what's going on, if no one tells them about it, in the first place.

I also agree with Flossy, I am cagey about what I tell people about my dogs, I never put wins in our local paper (I am amazed at the number of people who do ... this is a fairly small area and it wouldn't be at all difficult to trace anyone round here, just from their surname and the district they live in). I don't give out my address or anything to anyone who asks me about my dogs.

And all this is not because my dogs are the most wonderful showdogs in the world, it is because, like everyone else on here, I would be devastated at the loss of my beloved dogs, and couldn't bear to think of what might happen to them in someone else's possession, if they were stolen.

Gill

Remember that all of k9 is archived on Google, so if you typed in a placename and specifc dog search terms, any information about your location and the merits of your running dog posted here is visible to all and sundry. Hope that doesn't sound paranoid? Better safe than sorry. :sweating: :sweating: :sweating:

OMG YOU ARE RIGHT!!!..I JUST TYPED IN MY DOGS NAME AND MINE AND UP CAME SOME OF THE TOPICS AND ALL THE THINGS IVE SAID ABOUT THEM!

I KNOW MY DOGS MAY NOT BE VALUABLE AS MUCH AS SOME...I MEAN THEY DO NOT SHOW OR WORK BUT IM STILL REALLY WORRIED THAT ALL THAT INFO CAME UP!

~whitecross whippets~ said:
OMG YOU ARE RIGHT!!!..I JUST TYPED IN MY DOGS NAME AND MINE AND UP CAME SOME OF THE TOPICS AND ALL THE THINGS IVE SAID ABOUT THEM!
I think it's particularly a worry where coursing or working lines are concerned, but as we know from stolen dog postings here, age, ability or value seems to make no difference, they are still taken. It's not just dogs either, I'm cagey about giving details out about my poultry too, as a lot of people who list as breeders in society newsletters have had all their birds taken ( and usually only the females, so we can't blame mr fox on these occasions either).

We did have some threats via the phone a couple years back, it's made me very nervous about putting info in the public domain. It's a horrible feeling of violation when it happens, my sympathies to anyone else who's had a problem. It wouldn't put me off k9, but just be very careful about giving too many details of your address or walking habits. (also the exact location of some events, dogs have been taken from parked cars at the lurecoursing I believe).

Last edited by a moderator:
I now always withhold my name & address from show catalogues :( This kind of thing does seem to be on the increase unfortunately :rant: :rant: & I am now much more wary of people asking questions about my dogs :(

Not PC I know but its the travellers that worry me, they really are not worried about the police or the violence that you can dish out as they are always mob handed.

Glad everything was OK

glad to hear your dogs are safe,once had some pikeys ask me to sell my bullmastiff , pulled a big wad out in the pub where we took them and said name your price.....not a chance!we kept them in the house for months after and took them out in the car ..hope it,s a one off.stu

I was working within sight of the road a little while back, a family of 'traveller' types spotted my lurcher lying there and came over wanting to buy her. It was a bit worrying when they just sat in their car watching for quite some time. She is micro-chipped but I don't think that would help recover a dog that fell into the hands of pikey types. I used to occasionally leave her in the car to pop into a shop, but not any more. At least this dialogue reinforces the need for caution.

excuse my ingnorance, but what do the travellers do with the dogs when they get them, why are they prepared to pay large sums of money for them????

pikeys are gypsey types or travellers,i dunno why theyd pay large sums ot buy a dog,i dont think theyd be using them as bait as it seems a bit stupid to pay large sums of money over only to let a dog get killed.i dont have running dogs so maybe someone else would know.maybe its cos they bet on them racing or coursing?

kris said:
pikeys are gypsey types or travellers,i dunno why theyd pay large sums ot buy a dog,i dont think theyd be using  them as bait as it seems a bit stupid to pay large sums of money over only to let a dog get killed.i dont have running dogs so maybe someone else would know.maybe its cos they bet on them racing or coursing?
thanks....you learn something new everyday :b

Running dogs are stolen for illegal coursing and yes they bet on them.

A few years ago they broke into Battersea Dogs Home - the Windsor? branch. I think that it's at Windsor, the 'country' bit anyway.

Anyway they were filmed walking around the kennels having a good look at the dogs. Then they found some ex-racing greyhounds and nicked 'em. Got the van on camera too. That's how cocky they can be. Dogs were all dumped and found.

BeeJay said:
A few years ago they broke into Battersea Dogs Home - the Windsor? branch.  I think that it's at Windsor, the 'country' bit anyway.

Anyway they were filmed walking around the kennels having a good look at the dogs.  Then they found some ex-racing greyhounds and nicked 'em. Got the van on camera too.  That's how cocky they can be.  Dogs were all dumped and found.

do we know who tried to take mallys dogs ,not all TRAVELLERS are thieves there are good and bad in us all dont be to quick to jugde not all are as lucky as us ,glad your dogs are safe mally ,you just dont know whos about,becareful they dont return

ja jumper said:
BeeJay said:
A few years ago they broke into Battersea Dogs Home - the Windsor? branch.  I think that it's at Windsor, the 'country' bit anyway.

Anyway they were filmed walking around the kennels having a good look at the dogs.  Then they found some ex-racing greyhounds and nicked 'em. Got the van on camera too.   That's how cocky they can be.  Dogs were all dumped and found.

do we know who tried to take mallys dogs ,not all TRAVELLERS are thieves there are good and bad in us all dont be to quick to jugde not all are as lucky as us ,glad your dogs are safe mally ,you just dont know whos about,becareful they dont return

Yeah ok!! how do you recon they make there money then?? :- "

Kim and Tilly said:
ja jumper said:
BeeJay said:

Anyway they were filmed walking around the kennels having a good look at the dogs.  Then they found some ex-racing greyhounds and nicked 'em. Got the van on camera too.   That's how cocky they can be.  Dogs were all dumped and found.

Yeah ok!! how do you recon they make there money then?? :- "

your not by any chance a DUMB BLONDEwho cant see past the end of her nose,you cant label every one hence dumb blonde (w00t)

sorry but all the pikeys ive come across have caused trouble or left s**t behind and i mean proper s**t in nappys and on loo roll , where we walk our dogs and kids ,not to mention on the football pitch where the kids play.don,t know about dog nappin but as i say they offered to buy my dog in a pub and at the time they were only camped at the back of my house or you could say tipping there(garden clearance tarmac bricks and or course s**t)so sorry if i got no time for the insurance dodging little gits.sure there are some nice 1s out there but they havnt stayed near me.lets hope that if they stay near you , you get some tidy ones.. :cheers:

smiffie23 said:
sorry but all the pikeys ive come across have caused trouble or left s**t behind and i mean proper s**t in nappys and on loo roll , where we walk our dogs and kids ,not to mention on the football pitch where the kids play.don,t know about dog nappin but as i say they offered to buy my dog in a pub  and at the time they were only camped at the back of my house or you could say tipping there(garden clearance tarmac bricks and or course s**t)so sorry if i got no time for the insurance dodging little gits.sure there are some nice 1s out there but they havnt stayed near me.lets hope that if they stay near you , you get some tidy ones.. :cheers:
I would like to say when these people have been in my area they have left loads of mess too, including gas bottles, rubbish, shit, glass, grubby bedding and loads more but the thing they most left behind was a higher crime rate i.e house breaking, car theft and dog theft. I am not saying that all travellers are the same, just from experience.

I also think it would be a good idea if you have these people in your area to put it on k9 just to warn everyone, I know i will when they are in my area again, anything to keep our dogs safe :thumbsup:

Julie

Well they stole my caravan so don't even get me started on that, there were a couple of places in the area where they had sited for their free living and the police wouldn't go to see because they were too scared these people have no identity so if anything happens who do they look for, they basically told me not to expect to see it again and that was with half an hour of it being stolen, because it was seen by my neighbour who rang the police and they lost it apparentley during the chase, how 3 police cars can lose a 25" caravan (with the wheel lock still on) being towed by a transit van is beyond me :rant: :rant: :rant:

When I was younger I used to live in an area where they regularly sited themselves,on someones land and paid no taxes,or bills left a mountain of s**t in their wake, the majority of the children couldn't read or write because of no schooling and the parents couldn't teach them because they couldn't either, so that begs the question how do they make a living to pay for all the diesel they use to 'travel' and food ect, if I take my caravan anywhere I pay site fees why shouldn't they :angry:

they are the scourge of the earth :angry: no doubt, in a couple of months, i'll be seeing them near me, and like every single year so far, will leave behind wrecked cars, torn sofas and mounds of rubbish! what gets me is that the field they use is virtually opposite a police station!

BUT, these ones move on. what of the ones that decide to live in houses? the villages surrounding slough are teeming with settled travellers, and frankly,nothing is safe. ask nina what theyre capable of :( its the sheer nerve of them. its not only running/coursing dogs that are at risk. the little dogs for baiting. the staffords and mastiffs to either fight or to breed fighting dogs. and then every other dog so they can ransom them.

ja jumper, try having them in a field next to your house :thumbsup:

shitting behind your hedge :x

leaving rubbish every where :angry:

crime goes up :ph34r:

intimadating locals and shop/pub owners :pirate:

the police appear powerless and cant move them until a court injunction is is arranged which takes two weeks :clown:

and then when they've finaly gone the land owner has to foot the bill for clearing up all the mess they've left behind :rant:

Im sure your opion will change :thumbsup: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back