The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Weight Of A Whippet

Janimal

Addicted
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Is there a thread on K9 about general weight of dogs please. I know all the breeders out thre will know what weight a whippet roughly should be.

I dont really weigh my dogs on a regular basis - (should I weigh more frequently) but was wondering what the general weight (please in lbs for me) Hubby weighed Oscar the other day and he is around 38-40 lbs (w00t) hes the biggest whippet Ive ever had. He is a year old now.

Just a bit of friendly advice really - thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
My girls go between 11 - 14 kgs and boys 14 - 19 kgs (ish). These are adult weights.

Thanks for the guidelines :thumbsup: He is a tall dog at almost 22.5 inches (w00t)

My Bess is about 22lb = 11kg, and Callista is little bit less (she is only 18months and will fill up more)

Lida

They always told me, and things I've read about whippet weights :

Adults girls 10 - 12 kg ==> I think this is 20 - 24 lb

Adult boys 12 - 13,5 kg ==> I think this is 24 - 27 lb

So..this is wrong ??

Ellen said:
They always told me (and things I've read about whippet weight)Adults girls  10-12,5 kg

Adult boys 12 - 14 kg

So..this is wrong ??

Their height suppose to be 44-47cm (17 1/2"- 18 1/2")for bitches and 47-51cm (18 1/2 - 20")for dogs according to the European and British standard.

Lida

Which means he is about 20 kgs or there abouts ...... on a not so easy to use set of household bathroom scales. :lol:

I think I'd go more on condition, unless you need to know for racing purposes or calculating medicine doses. Ours has always looks ribby, but the vet has always said not to worry, he's fine. He's much better now he's on a working dog mix although a couple of more active days seem to burn the excess off again.

HI Elizabeth,

How old is your Floyde? He looks awesome in the picture at the bottom, what is the working dog mix you have him on?

Am I right to assume he races? I would love to go to a whippet race and see if I could eventually get Floyd into it, I need to visit the racing threads.

Lisa

moriarte said:
I think I'd go more on condition, unless you need to know for racing purposes or calculating medicine doses. Ours has always looks ribby, but the vet has always said not to worry, he's fine. He's much better now he's on a working dog mix although a couple of more active days seem to burn the excess off again.

Just want to add Im not at all duly concerned about Oscar - he does look fine for his height and build. Ive only started lately thinking he is a BIG dog :lol: I dont show him or race him - so it dosnt matter a jot really - I was curious to know about there standard weights roughly. :unsure:

Is this the main reason why he wouldnt be any good for showing really then??

Myn Owen is about 15kg he is my biggest adult

Tegan was 12.5 kg but I think she has put a bit more on now and Bandit and Jasper are13-14 kg

My mum recently took Millie to the vets and he told her an adult whippet bitch should weigh about 9 kg needless to say I pointed out if she was that light she would probably look half starved Tegan was not that light three days after the birth of her litter of 8 and she went really poor and had to be slowly built up again.

Iagree thar condition should be more important than their actuall weight but my vet always weighs them everytime we go

Lise said:
HI Elizabeth, How old is your Floyde? He looks awesome in the picture at the bottom, what is the working dog mix you have him on?

Am I right to assume he races? I would love to go to a whippet race and see if I could eventually get Floyd into it, I need to visit the racing threads.

Lisa
He's six in a few days. Erm, he's never been called that before! He's coursing bred, 3/4 Laguna (some thoughts about the qualities, or rather lack of, Lagunas on the coursing thread I believe).

He's really too big/heavy for racing (although the Oxford group allows oversized dogs and we did go racing for a year). That said his sister and niece ( "One of the very few non-racing bred whippets to win a Main Open title") have won major races I believe. More on Flo below:

Go with the Flow

The pic of him is at a lure-coursing event. I can't tell you his exact weight, I suppose I should know :oops: . When last weighed for racing he was 29 lbs, I'm sure he's heavier now.

Janimal said:
Is there a thread on K9 about general weight of dogs please.  I know all the breeders out thre will know what weight a whippet roughly should be.
I dont really weigh my dogs on a regular basis - (should I weigh more frequently) but was wondering what the general weight (please in lbs for me)  Hubby weighed Oscar the other day and he is around 38-40 lbs  (w00t)   hes the biggest whippet Ive ever had. He is a year old now.

we have 8 dogs and they weigh 18 lbs 22lb 23 lb 25 lb 26 lb 28 lb and 31lb all dogs and they all race all but 2 as they are now too old but i think it depends on the breeding as they are all dogs and u dont get many 18 lb dogs usually bitches.

Janimal said:
Just want to add Im not at all duly concerned about Oscar - he does look fine  for his height and build.  Ive only started lately thinking he is a BIG dog :lol:   I dont show him or race him - so it dosnt matter a jot really - I was curious to know about there standard weights roughly. :unsure:

Oscar and Beau sound like they are about the same size and weight as each other Janis. Both great big beautiful boys :wub: , love every inch/ounce of them :wub: :wub:

Tesa said:
Janimal said:
Just want to add Im not at all duly concerned about Oscar - he does look fine  for his height and build.  Ive only started lately thinking he is a BIG dog :lol:   I dont show him or race him - so it dosnt matter a jot really - I was curious to know about there standard weights roughly. :unsure:

Oscar and Beau sound like they are about the same size and weight as each other Janis. Both great big beautiful boys :wub: , love every inch/ounce of them :wub: :wub:

Aww thanks Karen - Yes it does sound like Oscar and Beau are similar in height and weight too and Ive always had a soft spot for Beau too. :huggles: :wub:

ruffell said:
Janimal said:
Is there a thread on K9 about general weight of dogs please.  I know all the breeders out thre will know what weight a whippet roughly should be.
I dont really weigh my dogs on a regular basis - (should I weigh more frequently) but was wondering what the general weight (please in lbs for me)  Hubby weighed Oscar the other day and he is around 38-40 lbs  (w00t)   hes the biggest whippet Ive ever had. He is a year old now.

we have 8 dogs and they weigh 18 lbs 22lb 23 lb 25 lb 26 lb 28 lb and 31lb all dogs and they all race all but 2 as they are now too old but i think it depends on the breeding as they are all dogs and u dont get many 18 lb dogs usually bitches.

Thanks Ruffell - thats plenty of weights for me to go on - no worries then. Cheers Janis :thumbsup:

I have whippets that weigh from 22lb - 29lb, they all race and show, or have done. the under 25lb ones are bitches and the heavier ones are dogs, to race officially they should be under 32lb I think, but most clubs allow a heavier one to run at club meetings. There is no weight limit at shows, the breed standard mentions height only, and quite a lot of winners are probably over the ideal top height of 18 and a half inches for a bitch and 20 inches for a dog. So Oscar is a big chap, but probably not a lot bigger than many, he looks very well in his photos and not too fat, so as long as he is fit and healthy do not worry about his weight.

Oscar is just [SIZE=21pt]PERFECT[/SIZE]in my eyes :wub: :wub: :wub:

I have been completely surprised at the sizes of some whippets i have seen.

The average Joe Bloggs in the street would expect a whippet to be 'small and skinny', which, when my great grandad had them, they were!!

I have an old picture of his that says 'Whippets are built for speed!' and some dogs (be that only a few) at shows look like they couldnt run at all. Dont get me wrong, they all look good, some are fantastic and stand out, but from very old pictures i've seen from about 1920 (show dogs) they seem to have grown and changed an awful lot.

I can remember my great grandad having about 3 whippets on his knee, but if i put Rebel on my knee i end up getting winded!! He is average show size.

Whereas Diamond is just topping the scales at 20lb and is classed by some as 'small', mind you she still needs to fill out quite a lot, but she is always on my knee.

When they both go out for a walk together people stop and say what a lovely whippet Diamond is but always ask if Rebel is a greyhound!!!

I think weight is a racing issue and as long as your dog is fit and healthy and the vet doesnt say theyre overweight then dont worry about it.

Lolcoe said:
IWhen they both go out for a walk together people stop and say what a lovely whippet Diamond is but always ask if Rebel is a greyhound!!!I think weight is a racing issue and as long as your dog is fit and healthy and the vet doesnt say theyre overweight then dont worry about it.

Me too Denise - I get cross when people ask if Oscar is a 'lurcher' Ive nothing against lurchers - but I say No he is a Pedigree Whippet I can assure you.

Thanks for the replies everyone - Im not going to worry any more - he is Perfect in my eyes too Pam :huggles: :wub: and I love him even if he reaches the size of a racehorse (Iwish.... I wish I wish) :lol: (I could ride him then :lol: )

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back