The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Westminster Whippet Lost At New York Airport

Latest Update!

UPDATE AS OF THURSDAY NIGHT 30 MARCH 2006

Another unconfirmed sighting in the same location as Monday night’s, but this one was supposedly at least a couple of days earlier. A man out walking his dog saw a "skinny" dog which ran away when he went up to it. That area had not been posted with flyers yet so he didn’t know anything about Vivi and didn’t call anyone until today.

Denise Flaim has kindly posted flyers which can be printed out in four languages — English, Spanish, Chinese and Korean — at http://newsday.typepad.com/news_local_flaim/.

A new 1-800 telephone number is being set up to make it easier to call in Vivi sightings. It’s ready to go, but we want to make sure the number works before posting it, which will take place tomorrow. At the same time guidelines for what to do if anyone should encounter Vivi will be circulated to as many people as possible in the area. The sightings aren’t going to get Vivi back unless whoever meets her manages to win her confidence. No chasing, no shouting, no walking towards her — just quiet, casual friendliness, food and non-threatening behavior: sit on the ground, lie down, walk away!

It’s difficult to focus any attention on the airline right now, but a couple of things need to be mentioned. According to unconfirmed sources a Delta employee who works as a cargo loader went to give Vivi a drink of water and that’s when she bolted. I personally don’t believe this story. Vivi liked her crate and wouldn’t get out just because someone put in a bowl of water. It also does not explain why the door latch was broken. (A bigger mystery is that the Skychef employee who saw Vivi 12 hours after she was lost is certain that she was then NOT wearing her broad leather collar, which she had when she was loaded. How could she possibly have lost that so quickly?)

Jil’s lawyer has given Delta five days to respond to a final request for the response to our questions which was promised earlier, and payment at least of the intitial expenses in the search which was also promised earlier. If Delta does not respond we will obviously have to change our tactics. We have been very careful at every turn to not blame Delta for what happened, since nobody knows for sure exactly how Vivi got out of her crate. The fact, however, is that she was lost while in their care, and that Delta has done very little to help us get her back.

Bo

:( Oh dear :( this is so sad :( ..obviously a lot of questions unanswered,and a lot of heartbreak.... :luck: :luck: :luck: ...still keeping everything crossed for her safe return :luck:

My heart is just breaking for Bo and his friends - this ordeal must be so agonising and anxiety-ridden, not to mention costing them a fortune!

And poor, poor Vivi - lost, alone and bewildered - I hope she gives in enough to come to someone for food soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
:( Just putting this back on page 1. :)) & for the record, any news???

:( Just putting this back on page 1. :)) & for the record, any news???

Latest news on the other web site.........

Bo Bengtson, Vivi's breeder, writes:

<<UPDATE AS OF WEDNESDAY NIGHT, APRIL 12, 2006

No news yesterday. Vivi has been gone for eight weeks today. She continues to be spotted frequently by different people in the area where she has been for a couple of weeks now. We are of course worrying about how she’s doing, what condition she is in, etc. Rosa and Tina, who are taking the calls, tell me that a woman who saw her pretty close up today said she was “beautiful” which indicates she can’t be in too bad shape. A 10-year old boy said she was following him for a while, as if she wanted to play, which is also encouraging. We cannot of course be absolutely sure that it’s Vivi who is seen every time, but the descriptions are pretty convincing. If even half of them are correct, Vivi is still around and coping much better than anticipated.

What’s frustrating is that none of the volunteers and none of the owners have caught even a glimpse of Vivi since she was lost. Sometimes it feels as if we’re chasing a ghost, but it’s impossible to discount the evidence from earlier tracking dogs and the many different sighthngs, some of which corroborate each other.

There is also evidence that Vivi has hunted and killed small game in the park. What was found was not even entirely eaten, which would confirm that there are lots of feeding opportunities for stray dogs in this area and that Vivi is not starving.

Jil’s fiancé Rick will go back to NY again shortly and spend a week mainly hanging around the area where Vivi has been seen. Vivi loves Rick, and if she’s calmer and less worried about being chased now we hope she will come to him.

I will post news when I have any, but basically this is a waiting game now. We are hoping that some sensible local resident will put out food often enough for Vivi to come back to one place and eventually feel comfortable enough to let herself be caught.

Thanks for all your kind messages.

Bo

Thanks Millie. An up-date is about as good as it gets at this stage.

Still looks like there is hope. :luck:

:luck: Still sounds hopeful to me :luck:

In one of Bo's other updates he said they're pretty convinced a lot of the sightings are definitely her, as people are describing her 'off side' markings, and photos/descriptions of her off-side have never been released.

Wendy

chelynnah said:
In one of Bo's other updates he said they're pretty convinced a lot of the sightings are definitely her, as people are describing her 'off side' markings, and photos/descriptions of her off-side have never been released.
Wendy

That does sound positive then, it must give them more and more hope that they will catch up with her soon :luck:

Its still sounding hopeful, if only she would approach a doggy person who may know what to do.

This must be so frustrating for everyone looking for her!! :wacko:

At least it shows that Whiippets are not just wimpy show dogs, but can actually do what they were bred for, and feed themselves :thumbsup:

I seem to remember, years ago, being told that one of Dennis Hills' (I think?) Whippet bitches escaped and lived wild on the moors for months before she was caught, sporting a very thick rough coat and very well fed on rabbits etc! :thumbsup: Anyone know if this is true?

Liz and the Monellis

alfie said:
This must be so frustrating for everyone looking for her!! :wacko: At least it shows that Whiippets are not just wimpy show dogs, but can actually do what they were bred for, and feed themselves :thumbsup:

I seem to remember, years ago, being told that one of Dennis Hills' (I think?) Whippet bitches escaped and lived wild on the moors for months before she was caught, sporting a very thick rough coat and very well fed on rabbits etc! :thumbsup: Anyone know if this is true?

Liz and the Monellis

I heard that too Liz

alfie said:
This must be so frustrating for everyone looking for her!! :wacko: At least it shows that Whiippets are not just wimpy show dogs, but can actually do what they were bred for, and feed themselves :thumbsup:

Liz and the Monellis

That is absolutely true. I think she was a blue bitch, and I remember dennis telling me that he thought she must have been dead. She did come back with a very wooly coat, I wish that I could remember her name. It was quite a while ago.

Cathie

I remember that , but i think she was a brindle bitch ,who he did actually show a couple of times afterwards , she was certainly well muscled thats for sure.

Dennis is/was a ranger in the Peak District of Derbyshire . and if i remember rightly is was winter when she went missing to , for about 4 months I think/

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back