The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What do you think of Crufts?

Discussion in 'Dog Showing' started by Josie, Nov 28, 2017.

Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

crufts rescues.jpg

What do you think of Crufts? Have you shown your dog there?

arealhuman

arealhuman Active Member Registered

I dislike it. I think all this breeding of traits can be cruel and to me, this is all about the owners, not the dogs.

Josie likes this.
    JudyN

JudyN Active Member Registered

It's my guilty pleasure. I love seeing all the different dogs, but hate the way so many breeds have been developed - just compare GSDs, Pekinese and basset hounds of today with those from 50-100 years ago. Things are getting better, but far too slowly.

I also hate seeing dogs being almost dragged round the show ring. Teach loose lead walking and let the dog show its natural conformation, dammit!

Josie likes this.
    Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

I like seeing all the different breeds but agree I’m not a fan of them being dragged, poked and prodded!

I took Den to a local dog show for a bit of fun and when I saw the judge start doing all that poor Den looked at me as if to say, please no mum!

JoanneF

JoanneF Active Member Registered

I think it's an important vehicle to raise awareness of breed traits. How many of us have seen short faced brachycephllic breeds with compromised breathing because of narrow nostrils and deformed palates, yet because they are popular unscrupulous breeders churn them out with no regard to their health. If the public was aware through crufts or similar shows that, for example, a French Bulldog shouldn't have stenotic nares maybe they would think twice about buying them. I do agree the handling looks wrong though - Google 'Foul Mouthed Fido' (warning, he is called that for a reason) and check out the 'not a handle' cartoons.

arealhuman likes this.