The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What's poisonous for dogs?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
62F70091-DF18-4E76-89AB-FA8440E6D758.png
24FB4831-1D4F-46C6-99B5-2B6551DC870A.png
This is a list from PDSA

Now that PDSA link really sums up the whole problem with these lists. Raw eggs and meat??? That's going to upset the raw feeders and Harri loves his raw chicken wings.

Just labelling mushrooms as toxic is really misleading - some species are certainly but then they are for humans too. The common supermarket mushroom is not a hazard.

I think what they have tried to do is give a list like that so that if your pet does happen to eat anything on there you are more likely to then ring your vet to say what your pet has eaten rather than you just assume they are safe.

This is probably the best online source I've seen - the advice on garden, outdoor and household poisons is sensible too. It's more detailed than the PDSA one and much more accurate.

Dog poisons in your kitchen

Raw eggs and meat???

That's exactly what I was going to say! Also, normal mushrooms - the sort they show in their graphic - are absolutely fine. Unfortunately, when they put out misinformation like this, some people will assume that the rest of it is rubbish too.

Ok hmmm i'd say as i don't give my dog any of these:

1. Grapes
2. Onion (onion family)
3. Potatoes (Not 100% if they're looseness but not the best)

So yeah please correct me if I'm wrong but these are what i don't give my dog

1. Grapes
2. Onion (onion family)

What is wrong with potato - other than raw? Harri is a big fan of Potato Dauphinois although he doesn't get much and not very often!

Yep I've used cooked potato and sweet potato...

Several commercial foods include potato.

1. Grapes
2. Onion (onion family)

Re grapes and raisins please see post #2

Raw potatoes BAD, cooked ones good I think is safe.
Mind you we had a spaniel years ago that ate an entire Christmas family sized bar of Old Jamaica Chocolate- that's dark chocolate, raisins and rum! Oh and the wrapper including foil. We were terrified. Christmas Day couldn't get a vet not even on the phone! We waited. Nothing- you'd just have thought he'd eaten his normal meal. Slept like a baby. Had his turkey dinner next day. Don't recommend it though.

Mind you we had a spaniel years ago that ate an entire Christmas family sized bar of Old Jamaica Chocolate- that's dark chocolate, raisins and rum! Oh and the wrapper including foil. We were terrified. Christmas Day couldn't get a vet not even on the phone! We waited. Nothing- you'd just have thought he'd eaten his normal meal. Slept like a baby. Had his turkey dinner next day. Don't recommend it though.
That's part of the concern with grape toxicity. Because it's not clear what the toxin is, you just don't know which dogs will be affected and which ones won't, so it's got to be taken seriously and emergency vomiting. I'd forgotten about Old Jamaica chocolate though - can you still get that?

No- I think it's extinct!:( (The spaniel lived to be 17!)

Morgan once ate half of a rich fruit homemade cake with no ill effects. I was frantic and phoned the out of hours vet who said I should monitor him for any changes for a couple of hours and also give lots of fluids.. Nothing happened to him he continued to be his usual greedy self. Perhaps because the cake was thoroughly cooked most of the toxins from the dried fruit dissipated. I now keep a good supply of charcoal dog biscuits handy just in case with anything edible away from the lads especially Morgan who's a tea leaf. Rex the dear boy will just wait to be given even when his brother is eating what he's stolen.
Fortunately the "leave it"command works 8 out of 10 times

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back