The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What's poisonous for dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Food and Diet' started by Josie, Jan 15, 2018.

  1. Josie

    Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

    Messages:
    3,031
    Likes Received:
    2,936
    Trophy Points:
    113
    I always see lots of different things about what is deadly for our dogs to eat....

    Does anyone have a good list they can put on here? or know a good place to find one?

    I thought it would be something good to have available on here!
     
  2. JoanneF

    JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

    Messages:
    2,462
    Likes Received:
    2,152
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Grapes and raisins - the problem with these is that some dogs are ok, others can die after eating just one or two. It's not related to dog size either, nobody really knows why this happens. If your dog eats grapes or raisins, your vet can give an injection to induce vomiting but this has to be done quickly.

    Xylitol - artificial sweetener, sometimes used in peanut butter

    Chocolate - unlike grapes though, the risk is relative to the amount of cocoa content and the dog size

    Apple and pear seeds

    Onions

    Alcohol

    Avocado

    Macadamia nuts

    Peach/nectarines stones
     
    Lunapup and Violet Turner like this.
  3. Josie

    Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

    Messages:
    3,031
    Likes Received:
    2,936
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Thank you @JoanneF - great information!

    I didn’t know about the avocado one either!
     
  4. JudyN

    JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

    Messages:
    2,370
    Likes Received:
    3,426
    Trophy Points:
    113
    acorns

    Though possibly these are like raisins & grapes in that some dogs will fall ill and others show now ill effects. Our garden and nearby roads are surrounded by oak trees and Jasper managed to snaffle a fair few when he was younger.
     
  5. Caro Perry

    Caro Perry Well-Known Member Registered

    Messages:
    791
    Likes Received:
    1,325
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Avocados are poisonous to humans as well - or at least the skin and stone are. The pulp is fine and given that there is a brand of commercial dog food based on avocados I'm wondering if this is the case for dogs too. It's just easier to say something is poisonous when only parts of it are. I'm certainly not panicking when Harri steals some of my toast with avocado spread on it ( as he has!). I'm also not going to worry about him snaffling the odd apple core. Yes the pips contain toxins but he'd have to eat more than one apple core to be poisoned ( as would we!).

    On the other hand the day before he came home I was out in the garden picking all the black juicy berries off my Atropa Belladonna (deadly nightshade) plants. They would have been a serious risk to him.

    My problem with the lists you find on the internet is that they are often incomplete and inaccurate - sloppy use of common names rather than the Latin classification is prevalent. Given that common names vary so much depending on where you live it isn't always very helpful. Very few also differentiate between truly toxic (and you should worry) and the ones that may just give an upset tummy for a few hours.
     
    leashedForLife and Josie like this.
  6. Josie

    Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

    Messages:
    3,031
    Likes Received:
    2,936
    Trophy Points:
    113
    thanks @Caro Perry for all this info! Oh I to like avocado on toast :D
     
  7. Violet Turner

    Violet Turner Well-Known Member Registered

    Messages:
    2,839
    Likes Received:
    1,196
    Trophy Points:
    113
    • Caffeine. Like chocolate, caffeine is a stimulant.
    • Onions, garlic, and chives (allium species)
    • Alcohol.
    • Mouldy foods.
    • Macadamia nuts.
    • Yeast dough.
    • Corn on the cob.
    • Xylitol.
     
  8. Ruth_F

    Ruth_F Member Registered

    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    57
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Slug pellets and rat poison. I have had dogs for a long time and they have eaten probably everything on the lists above and had nothing worse than an upset stomach.
    I had a beagle die from eating either slug pellets from next doors garden or a poisoned rat carcas. She disappeared for about 30 seconds getting her into the car for her walk, clearly ate something and was dead the next day. The neighbour does use slug pellets and there was a dead rat on the front garden a few days later.
     
    Violet Turner likes this.
  9. Jill Reid

    Jill Reid New Member Partner Registered

    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Xylitol is definitely toxic to dogs but its important to remember that with regards to peanut butter, it generally only appears in American 'sugar free' brands. I haven't seen it in any UK brands. Its always important to check the label.
     
    Violet Turner and Josie like this.
  10. Lennor Magill

    Lennor Magill Member Registered

    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    21
    Trophy Points:
    8
    f
     

    Attached Files:

  11. leashedForLife

    leashedForLife Well-Known Member Registered

    Messages:
    1,694
    Likes Received:
    760
    Trophy Points:
    113
    .

    Theobromine is the ingredient in chocolate that can make dogs severely ill, or may kill them; it causes cardiac arrhythmias, & can cause heart failure.
    The darker the chocolate, the less it takes to be dangerous, so baking chocolate bars & 65% & higher cacao “anything” (bars, cocoa, fudge topping, _______ ) is the most hazardous type, while milk chocolate is the least toxic. // However, in sufficient quantity, any chocolate can kill dogs, with the dosage determining the risk. Small dogs under 20# are of course at most risk, but even big dogs can get in serious trouble.

    Don’t give dogs any chocolate, is my suggestion to dog owners; some folks give dogs milk chocolate or a piece of choc-chip cookie, etc, or buy “dog treats” containing chocolate. DOGS AREN’T STOOPID - if they learn that chocolate is tasty, & even more, if it becomes associated with praise & fun times, they will seek it out, & eating a bag of baking choc-chips might lead to an emergency vet-trip, when a dog innocently follows their nose to the goodies in a grocery bag, or eats the high-priced chocolate set aside as a gift box. :(

    There are plenty of safe, tasty things we can offer our dogs as food or as earned rewards, or use as tidbits in pos-R association (which is unearned, & is not contingent on the dog’s behavior). // Save chocolate in any form for humans. ;)
    Better yet, send it to me... :D


    - terry

    .
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.