The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

When Is A Whippet Not A Whippet!

Nubian

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all!

Another one of my beginner's questions! I was hoping one of you kind-hearted experts out there might be able to answer this one for me which has been puzzling me for some time.

With pedigree whippets the answer I suppose must be obvious due to the need for registration but for non-peds I have come to understand that there are some races for whippets with "no limit" as to weights.

Is a whippet x greyhound still classified as a whippet for non-ped racing? Is it a lurcher? Or is it both?

What about whippet x greyhound crossed with greyhound. Can this still run as a non-ped whippet?

Since some classes are unlimited I assume you must get some really big dogs at the top end.

All I wanted to know was whether there is a strict definition of a whippet or whether there is a line drawn at some point.

I have no opinions myself I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer.

Cheeers!!

Whippet cross greyhound classed as a longdog

When two running dogs bred together

Lurcher normally greyhound cross whippet with

Collie or bull saluki also

The rules of the BWRA ask that a dog is "whippet-like in appearance", there is no other criteria. Though of course a dog being whippet--like would no doubt be at the discretion of some official person, perhaps the club person responsible for registrations to the national body, or maybe even the registrar/chairperson or a number of persons on the committee with it being put to a vote (though I don't think such a situation has ever arisen). There are certainly some dogs that have raced that have not been purely whippet x greyhound but by virtue of being "whippet-like in appearance" and the fact their owners were/are so keen to join their new sport/hobby these dogs have been made a very welcome addition.

Of course where do you draw the line between when a dog LOOKS like a whippet and when it LOOKS like a greyhound. In fact the BWRA have recently introduced a new breeding rule and a weight cap of 55lb for racing whippets in an attempt to curb the breeding of larger and larger dogs, there is no longer a No Limit category in that particular organisation.

The NNWRF's approach has been to introduce another scratch racing weight class to prevent the smaller scratch dogs racing against the larger ones, perhaps a good idea from a safety aspect, the knocks and bumps at the end of a race or at the bend can be pretty severe as the dogs keenly jostle for position.

Yes a whippet x ghd is considered a non-ped whippet as far as racing purposes go but with the current BWRA breeding rules returning to another greyhound immediately in the breeding programme would render any subsequent offspring ineligable for racing under their rules as would be any offspring of the whippet x greyhound mating that surpassed 55lb.

Should be some good reading for you here as this topic has been covered many times; search "welcome" No Limits" "what is a none ped" "a few questions re size, breeding etc" "whippets or greyhounds?"

and to end, the link to a topic with exactly the same title "when is a whippet not a whippet"

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....ic=5032&hl=

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course where do you draw the line between when a dog LOOKS like a whippet and when it LOOKS like a greyhound.WHEN it looks like a whippet and not a greyhound :teehee:

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course where do you draw the line between when a dog LOOKS like a whippet and when it LOOKS like a greyhound.WHEN it looks like a whippet and not a greyhound :teehee:
Precisely - but in whose opinion ? As can be seen on here there's more than one :clown:

Whippet cross greyhound classed as a longdogWhen two running dogs bred together

Lurcher normally greyhound cross whippet with

Collie or bull saluki also
And where in the bible does it say the above Craig :unsure: :D a grew is a lurcher :thumbsup: always as been and always will be in my book :- if it can knock a rabbit over to fill the pot it's a lurcher, lurch means to steal.

Sore subject with him . He's already done time

For it !!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies, especially Fleesh and Vicky it has pointed me in the right direction.

It seems I can look to the 55lb limit as a rule of thumb even if I might struggle to see the fine line where you have a dog that could pass for either whippet or greyhound!

A newcomer asks a sensible question,and gets 'some ' good answers, but why do some of you knock him, whats wrong with you.

I :angry:

A newcomer asks a sensible question,and gets 'some ' good answers, but why do some of you knock him, whats wrong with you.I :angry:
Think it's all the controversial topics Nubian as asked questions about :- Reads like he/she is sitting there thinking what can I put on K9 to get those non ped owners at each others throats.It has been a bit quiet on here lately :lol:

A newcomer asks a sensible question,and gets 'some ' good answers, but why do some of you knock him, whats wrong with you.I :angry:
Think it's all the controversial topics Nubian as asked questions about :- Reads like he/she is sitting there thinking what can I put on K9 to get those non ped owners at each others throats.It has been a bit quiet on here lately :lol:
YOURE A 100 PERCENT RIGHT ()

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back