The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

When Is A Whippet Not A Whippet!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i can asure you nubian is no wind up if any of you think he is taking the **** hes not he is a knew member at thurock and oviously hes knew to the sport of non ped whippit racing now give the guy a break people on here have only been in the sport two minutes and they think they know it all all ready :clown: :clown: :clown:
:lol: You can't blame us for being a bit suspicious Steve.The contents of Nubians latest posts has certainly been a hot topic of late :- :D The one thing I have learnt in the two minutes i've been in the sport is keep your sense of humour you'll need it :D
hi rodders hows things ok i hope . yer your right (reg sense of humor you need it ) especially when clowns muck up topics up on here talk to you laters mate and regs to george hope hes got lots of work :thumbsup:
Hiya Steve,George and I are fine thanks :thumbsup: and yes George is working hard :lol: Hope you and yours are also doing well :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies, especially Fleesh and Vicky it has pointed me in the right direction.
It seems I can look to the 55lb limit as a rule of thumb even if I might struggle to see the fine line where you have a dog that could pass for either whippet or greyhound!
In my humble opinion a 55 lb dog is a small greyhound, whippets ped or non ped should not be huge dogs, if they get too big you might just as well have a greyhound.

As I understood it, the whippet was originally a poor mans greyhound, small enough to fit under your coat, fast and fit and a good allround working dog.

At 55 lbs, I don't think so.

Now ducking for cover. :ermm:

i can asure you nubian is no wind up if any of you think he is taking the **** hes not he is a knew member at thurock and oviously hes knew to the sport of non ped whippit racing now give the guy a break people on here have only been in the sport two minutes and they think they know it all all ready :clown: :clown: :clown:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

No personel attacks just **** taking in my eyes

If I've offended mr nubian I apologies to

Him

But I've seen by far worse personel attacks

On here by certain people

IF I HAVE OFFENDED ANYBODY I APOLOGIES/ BUTWE WILL SEE WHO IS RIGHT IN THE LONG RUN. YOU NEED TO LOOK AT SOME OTHER TOPICS AND SEE HOW OFFENSIVE SOME PEAPLE CAN BE

Thanks for the replies, especially Fleesh and Vicky it has pointed me in the right direction.
It seems I can look to the 55lb limit as a rule of thumb even if I might struggle to see the fine line where you have a dog that could pass for either whippet or greyhound!
In my humble opinion a 55 lb dog is a small greyhound, whippets ped or non ped should not be huge dogs, if they get too big you might just as well have a greyhound.

As I understood it, the whippet was originally a poor mans greyhound, small enough to fit under your coat, fast and fit and a good allround working dog.

You've got valid reasons for ducking for cover.

Firstly greyhounds and whippets are very close genetically. This is why as a whippet gets larger, it's appearance becomes more greyhound-like.

Whippets never started out as teeny handbag dogs, they were varied in size and type. It is better to see the whippet as a type of dog just like terriers are a type.

As such, the term 'whippet' can be used to dogs of whippet-like appearance and this is why it's been an accepted criteria of whippet racing.

Like I explained previously Nubian, if the dogs continued running on 150yd tracks they would (in my opinion) remain whippet like in appearance because there are not many 55lb+ that can have the early pace required. The fact that dogs bred with a greyhound bias are often reserved solely for the bends reflects this.

Unfortunately, not even a geneticist can tell you exactly how much whippet DNA is present in dogs that are over 50/50 bred, and as such no-one can proove or disproove that these dogs are not whippets. This is why a change in the BWRA rules has been made because someone, somewhere has to draw a line in the sand in order to protect the breed itself.

The Kennel Club do not have the copyright on the term whippet, in-fact I believe that over time their methods of closed breeding will bite them in the backside just like it has with all the other KC registered dogs that have genetic defects that (I believe) will never be resolved until someone starts cross-breeding again. Reading 'The Dog and it's Genome' will confirm this.

Bertha, check out Pathe's website, and search whippets, you'll see some of the dogs running are a little bit larger than 25lbers and very much resemble the dogs that we run today. Non-peds or rather whippets are probably one of the rare breeds of dogs in this country that has remain unchanged mainly for the reason we have been breeding these dogs with the same purpose they had back them. It is essential that the same breeding plans that were used in the past are retained in the future in order for the dog to remain to type and be sound from genetic defect.

Once again I thank all those of you who have given me those helpful and constructive replies!

I am at a complete loss as to why my some people see my questions as "rubbish" or that I may be trying to set non-ped owners at each others throats.

As I thought I had made clear from the outset I am new to the world of whippets and I thought that this forum might be a good place to get all those burning questions answered or explained!

Thankfully the helpful replies have more than made up for the abusive/unhelpful ones so I am not yet completely put off from posting questions should the need arise but perhaps I ought to give more thought to any questions which might be seen as contoversial by some. Perhaps I should confine my questions to personal one to one type questions to the members of Thurrock which is fine by me but I thought the whole idea of a forum like this was for an honest exchange of ideas and opinions.

Once again thanks to those of you who have taken the time and trouble to answer my question and I can only offer apologies to those who have been caused offence by it. I can assure you it was entirely unintentional.

Regards.

The topics you have put on are what

People have been arguing about.

So you can understand why people

Are a bit dubius .

Haven't meant to offend,so sorry if I have.Will explain why folk have been a bit weary.a)Some of the questions you have asked have been asked in the past,and have ended up in some non constructive debate :- b)We have also in the past had people use alias's just to wind other people up,and unfortunately that has led to people being not so trusting of new folk,especially when the first questions asked have been controversial.

So welcome to K9 Nubian,and look forward to meeting you and your new whippet on our visits to Thurrock :D Karen

You've got valid reasons for ducking for cover.

Firstly greyhounds and whippets are very close genetically. This is why as a whippet gets larger, it's appearance becomes more greyhound-like.

Whippets never started out as teeny handbag dogs, they were varied in size and type. It is better to see the whippet as a type of dog just like terriers are a type.

As such, the term 'whippet' can be used to dogs of whippet-like appearance and this is why it's been an accepted criteria of whippet racing.

Like I explained previously Nubian, if the dogs continued running on 150yd tracks they would (in my opinion) remain whippet like in appearance because there are not many 55lb+ that can have the early pace required. The fact that dogs bred with a greyhound bias are often reserved solely for the bends reflects this.

Unfortunately, not even a geneticist can tell you exactly how much whippet DNA is present in dogs that are over 50/50 bred, and as such no-one can proove or disproove that these dogs are not whippets. This is why a change in the BWRA rules has been made because someone, somewhere has to draw a line in the sand in order to protect the breed itself.

The Kennel Club do not have the copyright on the term whippet, in-fact I believe that over time their methods of closed breeding will bite them in the backside just like it has with all the other KC registered dogs that have genetic defects that (I believe) will never be resolved until someone starts cross-breeding again. Reading 'The Dog and it's Genome' will confirm this.

Bertha, check out Pathe's website, and search whippets, you'll see some of the dogs running are a little bit larger than 25lbers and very much resemble the dogs that we run today. Non-peds or rather whippets are probably one of the rare breeds of dogs in this country that has remain unchanged mainly for the reason we have been breeding these dogs with the same purpose they had back them. It is essential that the same breeding plans that were used in the past are retained in the future in order for the dog to remain to type and be sound from genetic defect.
You misunderstood, I did not mean that whippets were bred to be tiny little things like Italian Greyhounds, when you look at old photos of racing whippets they are on the small side, and some of todays pedigree racing whippets are IMO too small and fine, I'll get shouted down for that. The show bred whippet is one of the few breeds the KC admit are healthy. There is a large gene pool to work from. I ran a 32 lb dog and my present dog is 29 lbs and stands 19.75 to the shoulder.

There is a lot more I could say, but not on here.

So you choose to PM with the rest (w00t)

I note in your PM you stated that you had been within whippets for ''donkeys years'' if this is the case then you'd be well aware of the history of the breed.

The fact you stated ''Now ducking for cover'' shows to me that you had some insight that your comment was controversial so don't take offence when someone responds with a post that doesn't meet your own opinion.

Please do not PM me about debates on here, either complain to a mod or debate publicly. Flouncing that your not going to reply to any more non-ped topics is petty and does little in increasing your knowledge of the breed. Like Nubian, if you don't ask questions or debate then how do you learn? :thumbsup:

I note in your PM you stated that you had been within whippets for ''donkeys years'' if this is the case then you'd be well aware of the history of the breed.

The fact you stated ''Now ducking for cover'' shows to me that you had some insight that your comment was controversial so don't take offence when someone responds with a post that doesn't meet your own opinion.

Please do not PM me about debates on here, either complain to a mod or debate publicly. Flouncing that your not going to reply to any more non-ped topics is petty and does little in increasing your knowledge of the breed. Like Nubian, if you don't ask questions or debate then how do you learn? :thumbsup:

I might have expected a reply like that, and it is unjustified IMO. So I don't agree with you and that seems to be wrong. I don't need to know more about the breed than I already know, so get down of your high horse and stop taking the **** out of people like me and Nubian.

I might have expected a reply like that, and it is unjustified IMO. So I don't agree with you and that seems to be wrong. I don't need to know more about the breed than I already know, so get down of your high horse and stop taking the **** out of people like me and Nubian.
WOW (w00t) outch

Last edited by a moderator:
Bertha, instead of lowering this topic into some kind of personal spat, take your issues to admin or a moderator, if you feel they're justified.

Does the 55 lb rule mean they are getting new weighing machines. I always supposed the reason for the "no-limit" class was that once the dogs were over 40 lbs you could hardly hang them up to weigh them in order to set handicaps, so the big ones are run from scratch. The size of the trap is a size limit in itself. I have a 24 inch dog who weighs about 50 lb and he barely squeezed into the traps when I tried him at a non-ped racing club (he normally raced handslipped at lurcher events)

Once again I thank all those of you who have given me those helpful and constructive replies!
I am at a complete loss as to why my some people see my questions as "rubbish" or that I may be trying to set non-ped owners at each others throats.

As I thought I had made clear from the outset I am new to the world of whippets and I thought that this forum might be a good place to get all those burning questions answered or explained!

Thankfully the helpful replies have more than made up for the abusive/unhelpful ones so I am not yet completely put off from posting questions should the need arise but perhaps I ought to give more thought to any questions which might be seen as contoversial by some. Perhaps I should confine my questions to personal one to one type questions to the members of Thurrock which is fine by me but I thought the whole idea of a forum like this was for an honest exchange of ideas and opinions.

Once again thanks to those of you who have taken the time and trouble to answer my question and I can only offer apologies to those who have been caused offence by it. I can assure you it was entirely unintentional.

Regards.

after speaking to gary today it seems your topics were genuine due to past events i think some get a little on the defence regarding some subjects :unsure: so i apologise to you nubian :thumbsup: good luck with your whippet :luck:

YES I WOULD HAVE TO SAY SEEMS A NICE FELLOW AND LOOKS LIKE EVERY ONES HAVING A DRINK ON ME ARCHERS AND LEMONADE TWINKLE TOES :thumbsup: : :luck: : :: ::

I MET NUBUIN TODAY HE IS A REALLY NICE BLOKE

HE SAID HE HAS KEPT GREYHOUNDS BEFOR BUT WITH A TRAINER

NOW HE WANTS TO TRY FOR HIS SELF SO PLEASE MAKE HIM FEEL MORE WELCOME NEXT TIME HE COMES BACK ON TO K9

HE HAS GOT A PUP BOOKED BUT I BETTER LET HIM TELL YOU ABOUT THAT

BUT I WILL SAY ITS A GREAT CHOISE

GOOD LUCK CHARLES :luck: :luck:

GARY

I have apologiesd in a pm to nubian good luck

With pup

Craig

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back