The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Puppy For Sale 6 Weeks Old

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
kris said:
shameless52 said:
when I have bred a litter for myself in the past I have taken which ever pup I want away a lot earlier, the reason being I want it to learn what I want not how to scrap with its litter mates I dont want it bonding with the bitch I want it bonding with me, the last time I did this was with a 1st x saluki greyhound Keera and with her I woon obedience comps agility and a few gun dog scurries as well as many single handed coursing matchesbetween 5-8wks you can get just about all of the basic obedience done with out really trying

can you please wait now until I get my kevla vest on :oops:

its not about bonding with its mother or its siblings.its about learning the appropriate behaviour and body language for a dog.ive also seen dogs that have been taken away from the litter too early and their behaviour does get them into trouble with other dogs.they havent learned all the minute signals and social skills that a puppy should learn.if you talk to a human behaviourist about monkeys and humans (these are the two main groups of mammals that have had studies done on them by various people who are experts in their field)when they are taken away from their parents too early they have lots of problems in later life mainly with interaction with their own species.its not a question of keeping the puppy cos you want it to bond with its mum,its about the puppy learning all the skills it will need in later life in order to get along with its own species.as for the people who have said i got a pup at 6 weeks and theres nothing wrong with it then its probably due to good luck rather than good judgement and good management :thumbsup: me personally id rather not take the chance that a pup i sell is going to end up as a dog behaviourists client with behavioural problems later in life.for the sake of 2 weeks id rather keep the pup let it interact with its mother and siblings and know its got a rather better than average chance of being a happy well adjusted canine ;)

Brilliant reply Kris :thumbsup:

I reckon the ones who let their pups go at six weeks,just don't want pay out for more feed for them,and can't wait to line their own pockets.Sorry if this sounds harsh,but its true in most cases.

daledogs said:
I reckon the ones who let their pups go at six weeks,just don't want pay out for more feed for them,and can't wait to line their own pockets.Sorry if this sounds harsh,but its true in most cases.
well it wasnt true in case my litter of 12 went from 6 weeks on and no way did i do it for the money the mating was not even planed. My litter were all bottle feed on 9 pints of lactol a day then 12 tins a day and not the cheap rubbish. I worked hard day and night for weeks with those pups and everyone survived from the day they were born and are all doing brilliantly now one year on. The litter cost me nearly 800.00 to keep i made my money back with a 500.00 profit but most of that profit went no putting the garden right after the littles ones recked it so i really didnt make hardly anything. I am so proud of the fact that i reared 12 pups all by myself :thumbsup: :( their real mother was useless she just didnt want to know at all :(

kris said:
shameless52 said:
when I have bred a litter for myself in the past I have taken which ever pup I want away a lot earlier, the reason being I want it to learn what I want not how to scrap with its litter mates I dont want it bonding with the bitch I want it bonding with me, the last time I did this was with a 1st x saluki greyhound Keera and with her I woon obedience comps agility and a few gun dog scurries as well as many single handed coursing matchesbetween 5-8wks you can get just about all of the basic obedience done with out really trying

its not about bonding with its mother or its siblings.its about learning the appropriate behaviour and body language for a dog.ive also seen dogs that have been taken away from the litter too early and their behaviour does get them into trouble with other dogs.they havent learned all the minute signals and social skills that a puppy should learn.if you talk to a human behaviourist about monkeys and humans (these are the two main groups of mammals that have had studies done on them by various people who are experts in their field)when they are taken away from their parents too early they have lots of problems in later life mainly with interaction with their own species.its not a question of keeping the puppy cos you want it to bond with its mum,its about the puppy learning all the skills it will need in later life in order to get along with its own species.as for the people who have said i got a pup at 6 weeks and theres nothing wrong with it then its probably due to good luck rather than good judgement and good management :thumbsup: me personally id rather not take the chance that a pup i sell is going to end up as a dog behaviourists client with behavioural problems later in life.for the sake of 2 weeks id rather keep the pup let it interact with its mother and siblings and know its got a rather better than average chance of being a happy well adjusted canine ;)

This is a really interesting debate. I don't have any experience of breeding so I can only comment on my experience when I got Blue. We got him at 9 weeks old, by which time he had learned a lot about how to interact with other dogs as his mum would correct his behaviour when it got too over the top. Those extra few weeks didn't stop him forming a great bond with both Ian and me and he has excellent recall. Most importantly, I'm not afraid to let him off the lead around other dogs. So, on balance, I think 8 weeks as a minimum age for a pup to leave its mum is reasonable and I wouldn't want to take on a pup any younger than this.

FifeJillandIan said:
kris said:
shameless52 said:

This is a really interesting debate. I don't have any experience of breeding so I can only comment on my experience when I got Blue. We got him at 9 weeks old, by which time he had learned a lot about how to interact with other dogs as his mum would correct his behaviour when it got too over the top. Those extra few weeks didn't stop him forming a great bond with both Ian and me and he has excellent recall. Most importantly, I'm not afraid to let him off the lead around other dogs. So, on balance, I think 8 weeks as a minimum age for a pup to leave its mum is reasonable and I wouldn't want to take on a pup any younger than this.

I think that now this is just all about what age people prefer to take on a pup and not what is the best age to. Each to there own i say :thumbsup:

BY THE SOUND OF THE ADVERT THE PUP IS NOT FOR SALE BY THE BREEDER... SOUNDS LIKE IT IS ALREADY IN IT'S FIRST HOME, AS WOMAN SAYS IT'S TOO MUCH WITH A PUPPY AND TWO KIDS! :rant:

clare Bow said:
daledogs said:
well it wasnt true in case my litter of 12 went from 6 weeks on and no way did i do it for the money the mating was not even planed. My litter were all bottle feed on 9 pints of lactol a day then 12 tins a day and not the cheap rubbish. I worked hard day and night for weeks with those pups and everyone survived from the day they were born and are all doing brilliantly now one year on. The litter cost me nearly 800.00 to keep i made my money back with a 500.00 profit but most of that profit went no putting the garden right after the littles ones recked it so i really didnt make hardly anything. I am so proud of the fact that i reared 12 pups all by myself :thumbsup: :( their real mother was useless she just didnt want to know at all :(

Well done to you for rearing the litter,its not easy and yes its hard work :sweating: Sadly there is peeps that do it just for the money :( ,i,ve come across a few cases :angry:

snapdogs said:
BY THE SOUND OF THE ADVERT THE PUP IS NOT FOR SALE BY THE BREEDER... SOUNDS LIKE IT IS ALREADY IN IT'S FIRST HOME, AS WOMAN SAYS IT'S TOO MUCH WITH A PUPPY AND TWO KIDS! :rant:
:rant: :rant:

Now, I don't want to offend.... But isn't it against some sort of law to let a pup go before 8 weeks?? I read it somewhere?

Emma xxx

maggie217 said:
The Breeding of Dogs Act 1991 and The Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999 cover England, Wales and Scotland.  Under these Acts:

• It is an offence for a bitch to be mated if she is less than one year old.

• Breeding is restricted to no more than six litters in a lifetime and no more than one litter per year.

• The breeder must keep accurate breeding records and puppies must wear a visible means of identity.

• Puppies cannot be sold by a licensed breeder to their final home until they are at least eight weeks old.

Yes, I know the above applies to licensed breeders, but the object is the welfare of the puppies.

Pauline

em21 said:
Now, I don't want to offend.... But isn't it against some sort of law to let a pup go before 8 weeks?? I read it somewhere?
Emma xxx

Yep, The Breeding and Selling of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999 States....

Licensed breeders must:

e) Not sell a puppy until it is at least eight weeks of age, other than to a keeper of a licensed pet shop or scottish rearing establishment.

Breeders must be licensed.

maggie217 said:
maggie217 said:
The Breeding of Dogs Act 1991 and The Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999 cover England, Wales and Scotland.  Under these Acts:

• Breeding is restricted to no more than six litters in a lifetime and no more than one litter per year.

• The breeder must keep accurate breeding records and puppies must wear a visible means of identity.

• Puppies cannot be sold by a licensed breeder to their final home until they are at least eight weeks old.

Yes, I know the above applies to licensed breeders, but the object is the welfare of the puppies.

Pauline

Well said Pauline, I totally agree. xxx

em21 said:
maggie217 said:
maggie217 said:

Pauline

Well said Pauline, I totally agree. xxx

Just wanted to point that act out. x

Puppies cannot be sold by a licensed breeder to their final home until they are at least eight weeks old.

Yes, I know the above applies to licensed breeders, but the object is the welfare of the puppies. HOW MANY licensed breeder are out there and how many are not think the not will out way the licensed breeder everytime omo

i think the ruling on licenced premises says anywhere where more than 3 litters a year are bred has to be licenced.i read the reply from no10 last week about the petition about banning puppy farming.according to the reply the government isnt planning to alter or introduce new legislation for the foreseeable future as they think there is enough legislation already enacted to give local government officers means of taking action against anyone breeding dogs in an unsatisfactory manner.what rubbish! :angry: its time someone showed the prime minister the state some of these pups are bred in :rant: i saw in the papers today a woman from south wales showing off her latest litter of dachshund crossed with chihuahuas.apparently theyre the latest 'thing' and are selling like hot cakes. :( these people treat dogs as just a commodity and its the animals that suffer (as usual) :(

kris said:
i think the ruling on licenced premises says anywhere where more than 3 litters a year are bred has to be licenced.i read the reply from no10 last week about the petition about banning puppy farming.according to the reply the government isnt planning to alter or introduce new legislation for the foreseeable future as they think there is enough legislation already enacted  to give local government officers  means of taking action against anyone breeding dogs in an unsatisfactory manner.what rubbish! :angry: its time someone showed the prime minister the state some of these pups are bred in :rant: i saw in the papers today a woman from south wales showing off her latest litter of dachshund crossed with chihuahuas.apparently theyre the latest 'thing' and are selling like hot cakes. :( these people treat dogs as just a commodity and its the animals that suffer (as usual) :(
well now my sister in law has brought her puppy I have posted it twice don't ask how..... :oops: and I was angry about the woman in kent selling a 6 week old puppy on.... as it was too much 2 kids and a young puppy!!! :rant: :rant:

at least my sister in law does not have young kids and it will be spoilt rotten :lol:

snapdogs said:
kris said:
i think the ruling on licenced premises says anywhere where more than 3 litters a year are bred has to be licenced.i read the reply from no10 last week about the petition about banning puppy farming.according to the reply the government isnt planning to alter or introduce new legislation for the foreseeable future as they think there is enough legislation already enacted  to give local government officers  means of taking action against anyone breeding dogs in an unsatisfactory manner.what rubbish! :angry: its time someone showed the prime minister the state some of these pups are bred in :rant: i saw in the papers today a woman from south wales showing off her latest litter of dachshund crossed with chihuahuas.apparently theyre the latest 'thing' and are selling like hot cakes. :( these people treat dogs as just a commodity and its the animals that suffer (as usual) :(
well now my sister in law has brought her puppy I have posted it twice don't ask how..... :oops: and I was angry about the woman in kent selling a 6 week old puppy on.... as it was too much 2 kids and a young puppy!!! :rant: :rant:

at least my sister in law does not have young kids and it will be spoilt rotten :lol:

trouble is there are people who just have one litter.... and only do it for money! £450 each no vacs - 6 puppies nice little earner i'd say!

kris said:

i came across this interview with a 'commercial puppy breeder' it's sickening that some people think this is ok, money is God it seems.

http://www.pedigreedogs.co.uk/k9bytes/puppyfarming4.htm

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back