The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet with upset tummy.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there. I'd just like to wish everyone a very happy Christmas and to say a big thank you to everyone for all of your help and advice over the year. I think we're finally getting somewhere with Lilly. We've have the odd episode but we've managed it with Logic Firm and not needed to use antibolics, which I'm sure is helping her tummy. I wish you and your dogs good health and happiness in 2018! x

Happy Christmas @LillyBlue and thank you for being part of dogforumuk!

I’m glad to hear you’re getting somewhere with Lilly :)

+1 for raw feeding. My boy had a sensitive stomach and countless allergies and raw solved it all! No exaggeration! I use Nutriment complete. I tried nature's menu but many of theres still have rice in which didn't suit him!

I feed my Whippet a raw diet and am very happy with her, I know some people do it themselves but for me I use the pre prepared frozen. Their are quite a few firms that supply them, I know they all say its completely balanced but taking a just in case track I use three different ones, (Wolftucker, Nutrement and Natural Instinct). Now I can not say if a change would help your girl but I have heard of quite a few that have changed over to raw and seen improvements in many areas. My girl has been on it all her life so I can not compare.
I feed my Whippet a raw diet and am very happy with her, I know some people do it themselves but for me I use the pre prepared frozen. Their are quite a few firms that supply them, I know they all say its completely balanced but taking a just in case track I use three different ones, (Wolftucker, Nutrement and Natural Instinct). Now I can not say if a change would help your girl but I have heard of quite a few that have changed over to raw and seen improvements in many areas. My girl has been on it all her life so I can not compare.

Can anybody help please! What is the best food for a whippet. Lilly is 2 and a half now and is still suffering with an upset tummy! It was ok for a while but now seems to be back. We've been to the vets constantly. Poo tests come back showing nothing is wrong, so do blood tests. The only thing that works... while she's on them, is Tylosin, but as soon as she's off them it comes back within 3-4 days. She's on Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal wet food from the vets. I put a spoonful of cooked mince in it so she will eat it. We treat train with Pooch and Mutt puppy development mini bones. To stop her being sick in the mornings (bright yellow bile) I give her 3 Lily's Kitchen Bedtime Biscuits at 9.30pm (which seems to work). She's always ill at night around 2am then has to go out every hour from then until 6am. She can do a normal poo in the day then be ill again in the night. Her last meal is 6.30pm. She seems a happy healthy dog apart from this. She is naughty and eats things on walks though. I've tried to train 'leave it' but she's very strong-willed. I've been told a raw diet may help. Any thoughts and help welcome. Many thanks, Sandra.
We feed our Whippet and Puppy Longdogs on a complete raw diet, bought frozen. You thaw out and feed. our dogs are doing really well. No more runny poo and definitely less flatulence.

I might be way off here but something occurred to me.

She was ok after the op, and she was ok with the sitter. After her op, she would probably be exercising less - did you reduce her food? Is it possible at all on her normal regime that you are overfeeding? If her sitter gave less and she had less after her spey could that be a key? Overfeeding does cause runny tummies. I don't know if it's possible but thought it was worth a mention.
Can anybody help please! What is the best food for a whippet. Lilly is 2 and a half now and is still suffering with an upset tummy! It was ok for a while but now seems to be back. We've been to the vets constantly. Poo tests come back showing nothing is wrong, so do blood tests. The only thing that works... while she's on them, is Tylosin, but as soon as she's off them it comes back within 3-4 days. She's on Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal wet food from the vets. I put a spoonful of cooked mince in it so she will eat it. We treat train with Pooch and Mutt puppy development mini bones. To stop her being sick in the mornings (bright yellow bile) I give her 3 Lily's Kitchen Bedtime Biscuits at 9.30pm (which seems to work). She's always ill at night around 2am then has to go out every hour from then until 6am. She can do a normal poo in the day then be ill again in the night. Her last meal is 6.30pm. She seems a happy healthy dog apart from this. She is naughty and eats things on walks though. I've tried to train 'leave it' but she's very strong-willed. I've been told a raw diet may help. Any thoughts and help welcome. Many thanks, Sandra.
Sorry to hear about LillyBlue's problems. Our 6 mth whippet Misty has been on a raw diet for a month and seems to love it but although normal poos in the morning and evening she often has diarrhoea in the afternoon and lately has frequent and very smelly wind. Perhaps giving her too much or she might be scavenging on walks inc dog poo. Never thought poo would occupy my thoughts to such an extent!

in the afternoon

Quite frequently it's simply a combination of excitement and exercise sending digested food through the gut faster, and expelling it before the large intestine has had enough time to absorb the liquid part. Just one of those things!

My girl, when I took her to racing, when we arrive I take her for a walk round the field often she poo's and if she does its a normal well formed poo. Then she goes racing, occasionally after I pick her up at the end and walk her back she poo's, and then its always very sloppy. I do not know if its the exercise or the adrenaline that causes the change but it's the only time they are so soft. And talking to other owners they are all the same if they poo after a run its soft.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back