The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Why Do People Buy Puppies As Toys

nina

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Why oh why do people buy puppies for kids like toys, then discard them when they lose interest :rant: :rant:

Hope this little chap finds the home he deserves.

Sorry, attachment does not work but here is the text of the advert

"I am selling a KC Reg pedigree whippet puppy I bought for my daughter 1 month ago as she has lost interest and I personally do not have the time for him. He was purchased for more money from a KC Reg local breeder and he is beautiful. Dew clawed all vaccinations, wormed, microchipped and frontlined, he still has insurance. He is fawn and white, all paperwork can be seen. He is almost 4 months old, has basic training and is a lovely boy. Can give all details of parents and breeder purchased from. Vet checked. Is excellent with children of all age."

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that advert too,sadly we will never know the answer :(

That why i,m so thankful for the likes of Sarahloveland,Nicky12 etc who have children that love and respect their dogs,that i will always be happy and grateful for :wub: :wub:

More to the point, why do breeders sell to people like this! If you spend enough time talking to prospective owners you MUST get an inkling of what they are like. I would hope that the breeder is willing to have him back (shame on them if they aren't) so perhaps someone needs to find out who the breeder is and inform them that this chap is up for sale.

i had a woman phone me yessterday looking for a puppy for her 2 year old son :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

you can imagine what i said to her :- "

it is so sad , wonder if the breeder knows about this ??

which site is it on ????

saraquele said:
i had a woman phone me yessterday looking for a puppy for her 2 year old son  :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:

you can imagine what i said to her  :- "

it is so sad , wonder if the breeder knows about this ??

which site is it on ????

Epupz

Why doesn't she ask the breeder to take him back? Such a shame, it is usually the parents who end up caring for the dog in the end. Obviously there are exeptions but I always make sure that the adults want the dog for themselves. :(

Because many parents today are horribly indulgent toward their children, they expect and receive instant gratification to every whim, and not made aware of the issues of responsibility or degree of hard work any animal involves.

I've lost count of the time's I've told kids off for inappropriate and sometime downright irresponsible behaviour around dogs and other animals (for the own safety in the case of horses and cattle) but always just receive hostility from their ignorant parents, who just reinforce and justify the brats selfish actions. Very few seem to have any empathy with animals, or even realise they are sentient beings.

Just as bad are the people who get animals as child substitues then discard them when the first brat comes along (usually under the lame excuse that the child's safety will be in question with the animal around, as if they have no control over this :unsure: ), I've seen some awful cases of neglect and cruelty in these circumstances :(

my youngest daughter , 9 next month , wants a saluki , yes i love them , yes she has been asking me for 2 years , will i buy her one NO !!!!!!!!

she is a responsible girl , loves dogs and ALL that goes with it but there is no way she is responsible enough to care for a dog , people are sooooooo thick :rant:

~elizabeth~ said:
Nearly as bad are the people who get animals as child substitues then discard them when the first brat comes alone (usually under the pretext that the child's safety will be inquestion with the animal around, as if they have no control over this  :unsure: ), I've seen some awful cases of neglect and cruelty in these very circumstances.  :(
thats how we got our cat Monty, a woman near to popping got rid of him to us because she didn't want the cat she had treated like a human baby for the last 5 years to get in the way, the poor lad took ages to settle in and never really knew how to behave like a cat... then 6 months later she had the cheek to phone up to see if she could get him back as she reckoned she could cope now hers was settled.. you can imagine the answer :angry:

beaker said:
~elizabeth~ said:
Nearly as bad are the people who get animals as child substitues then discard them when the first brat comes alone (usually under the pretext that the child's safety will be inquestion with the animal around, as if they have no control over this  :unsure: ), I've seen some awful cases of neglect and cruelty in these very circumstances.  :(

thats how we got our cat Monty, a woman near to popping got rid of him to us because she didn't want the cat she had treated like a human baby for the last 5 years to get in the way, the poor lad took ages to settle in and never really knew how to behave like a cat... then 6 months later she had the cheek to phone up to see if she could get him back as she reckoned she could cope now hers was settled.. you can imagine the answer :angry:

OMG That is ridiculous, what a cheek :eek:

I can,t understand why they buy dogs or any animals just for the kids :rant: , Yes i have animals for my kids but they were bought for all the family and its up to the ADULTS to care for them as well as the children :)

I have given up even trying to understand why certain people do certain things or what makes them tick...it is useless to try and second guess them as most of them are total jerk-offs anyway!!

And the above ad just goes to confirm that my opinion is correct! :angry: :angry:

beaker said:
thats how we got our cat Monty, a woman near to popping got rid of him to us because she didn't want the cat she had treated like a human baby for the last 5 years to get in the way, the poor lad took ages to settle in and never really knew how to behave like a cat... then 6 months later she had the cheek to phone up to see if she could get him back as she reckoned she could cope now hers was settled.. you can imagine the answer  :angry:
My parents were put in that position twice by 2 different sets of next-door neighbours, who both chucked the cats out when the kids arrived. Unfortunately both the cats in question used to fight with our own so we couldn't take them in permanently. Both were pts by their owners when my parents confronted them about the ongoing neglect, a horrible position for them to be placed in.

Re. behaviour around animals in general, would you think you'd have to tell an 8 year old not to repeatedly fire a pellet gun point-blank into a bullock's anus, whilst his mother looked on without concern only a few yards away? And this was a respectable, well-educated family who really ought to have known better. :rant:

daledogs said:
I saw that advert too,sadly we will never know the answer :(
That why i,m so thankful for the likes of Sarahloveland,Nicky12 etc who have children that love and respect their dogs,that i will always be happy and grateful for :wub:   :wub:

MAKES ME MAD TO :rant: id never dream of buy one of my kids a dog and expect them to look after it ,i mean come on people who have kids no the hamsters and gold fish and rabbit and snakes and dogs all get left for mum to do in the end :rant: ooo yeh your right ther dawn id thrash there asses if they ever misshandled one of my babies :- " (w00t) nut they love them as much as i do :huggles:

Makes me soooooo mad :rant:

When we were homing puppies they had to be the right homes before they went anywhere. And we will take them back at any time if necessary

People who mistreat animals should be mistreated back :rant:

Heya i read this and as im a teen myself. I agree its wrong for them to buy a dog for the little kid and just leave them to it.

In my family we all love pepa and phoebe to bits there our babys and everyone in the family from great grandma to 1 year old cousin knows them and adores them :)

when i read things like this it reminds me of paris hilton. She buys puppy chihuahuas then when they are fully grown she gives them to her mum.

I agree its wrong to sell a puppy once your little kiddies have got bored of them :( :(

I just hope that pup gets a FAMILY home.

Jade xx

Jaydiiee said:
Heya i read this and as im a teen myself. I agree its wrong for them to buy a dog for the little kid and just leave them to it.
In my family we all love pepa and phoebe to bits there our babys and everyone in the family from great grandma to 1 year old cousin knows them and adores them :)

when i read things like this it reminds me of paris hilton. She buys puppy chihuahuas then when they are fully grown she gives them to her mum.

I agree its wrong to sell a puppy once your little kiddies have got bored of them :( :(

I just hope that pup gets a FAMILY home.

Jade xx

what a sensible reply jade , your family have obviously done a grand job of raising you correctly :huggles:

poor little pup :(

last year, we got our whippet pup, otis was lovely, we had had him for nearly 2 weeks and my o/h had a stroke, rushed to hospital and was there for quite a while...........meantime im juggleing 3 kids, a pup and the 5 other kids i was childminding, bloody hard work and poor otis was having to be left for just to long and it just wasnt fair on him, my o/h couldnt even walk for quite a while, so i had to think very carefully about what i was going to do :( ..........he wasnt getting enough attention and care as i was always at the hospital, so i had to phone the breeder (a lovely lady) and ask her to take him back :( she was great, very understanding, and told me i was doing the right thing for otis.

it was one of the hardest things i have ever had to do, i think i must have cried for a month :(

now i know some of you will prob think i was wrong to do this, but it was the right thing for him, he is now living with a lovely family and i still get pics sent to me :)

i know this has nothing to do with the pup on this thread and i totally agree with what you are all saying, but sometimes there are genuine reasons why a pup cant stay with their family, although this poor pup seemed to be bought just for a play thing.

I think im a selfish mum.........all the animals in the house have been

for me :b

Im that bad my daughter who is seventeen is only allowed to give Sada

a walk when she is kept on the lead and i wont let her take K yet......i

think she's to much of a handful :lol:

I have 20 chinchilla's, 4 degu and 2 gerbils as well, they are all cared for

by me..........but i get my daughter to do the daily water run, as the

bottles are outside the cage and there is no risk of any escapee's :unsure:

Hely..........that was a lovely thing you done, putting Otis and

his welfare first :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back