The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Why Do People...

abbey

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Someone i know called today and during the conversation i excitedly told her about the puppy we are getting at the week-end, he is a Beddy x Whippet..from the minute the words left my mouth she told me that he'll run away all the time, he'll lead the other dogs astray..he'll be uppity with other dogs..every negative you can think of..why does the name 'Lurcher' seem to bring out such negativity in people? She then went on to say that he had better not 'put the Gundogs off their work' and that in her opinion 7 dogs was far too many etc..i was quite hurt and taken aback, to be honest..you that way you start to doubt what you are doing..

She knows all the other dogs..we have 2 Vizslas and 4 Terriers all who get on and are well behaved..so why does she think a little Lurcher is going to cause such a problem?

Am i being mad getting this pup?

I feel like she put such a downer on the whole thing... :unsure:

WHY SHOULDNT YOU HAVE A LURCHER SURELY IT IS YOUR CHOICE, HOW MANY AND WHAT BREEDING YOU HAVE IS A CHOICE THAT YOU MAKE.

PEOPLE HAVE SAID THINGS LIKE THAT TO US BEFORE AND WE HAD WORKING SPANIELS AND LURCHERS AND SO DO OTHERS WE KNOW. AT FIRST WE HAD TO KEEP OUR SPANIEL PUP AWAY FROM OUR LURCHER AS SHE WAS WANTING TO RUN,AS YOU NEED TO KEEP YOUR SPANIEL CLOSE ITS NOT IDEAL OUT IN THE FIELDS TO LET THEM RUN TOGETHER.

WE WOULD LET THEM OFF SEPERATELY AND IT WORKED, AT HOME THEY WERE FINE.

I FEEL ITS YOUR CHOICE AND WHAT YOU DECIDE IS RIGHT FOR YOU

GOOD LUCK!

That's what some people are like...........

you know if you have the time and patience to train another pup,

so its up to you, dont let her dampen your spirits.............

get your pup and enjoy :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, we have really looked into this and thought hard about it, it wasnt a spur of the moment decision. I run the Vizslas with the terriers and always have done, yes, the terriers will chase rabbits (in a safe place) but the Vizslas just stand and point..they dont run in. I came off the phone from her feeling like i need my head read! :b :wacko:

ask this egg squirt why do a lot of game keepers keep an old lurcher round the yard and also iv seen beddie x work along side spaniels a few times,sounds to me that this person as a problem with lurchers full stop.TRAIN YE LURCHER WITH YE SPANIAL AND LEARN IT THE DOES AND DON'T RULES

THECAP said:
ask this egg squirt why do a lot of game keepers keep an old lurcher round the yard and also iv seen beddie x work along side spaniels a few times,sounds to me that this person as a problem with lurchers full stop.TRAIN YE LURCHER WITH YE SPANIAL AND LEARN IT THE DOES AND DON'T RULES
NOT SPANIELS YOUR 2 Vizslas :oops:

Dont let this person put a dampner on your excitement at getting your puppy, some people just find pleasure in raining on your parade, ( polite version!) forget her remarks, what does she know about your puppy, and get back to looking forward to your lovely new addition to the family! :D

sounds to me like your friend has a lurcher prejudice (Lurcherist?????) whippet beddies are a nice cross, one i seriously considered..............my advice is, IGNORE HER and tell some other people who will get excited with you

oh, and post us some pics when s/he arrives :wub:

when i was a child my best friend was my bedlington whippet lucy she was my constant companion for 17 years and one of the best dogs i will ever have the pleasure of owning she is still sadly missed even after putting her to sleep 3 years ago .Dont listen to small minded idiots youll love her all the same go for it :cheers:

my mum and dad had a beddy x whippet female for nearly 15 years , unfortunatly we had to have her PTS last week as she had cancer :(

but in those 15 years she NEVER put a foot wrong , was excellent catching rabbits a fantastic friend to my kids and always the sane , calm , authorotive but not dominent one of the pack .

if i ever had to have another dog it would be the beddy x whippet .

you go get your pup and enjoy him :thumbsup:

an old saying is

IF THEY MIND , THEY DONT MATTER!

AND IF THEY MATTER , THEY DONT MIND :luck:

ENJOY HIM :luck:

Well I'v e had lurchers for 20+ years and now whippets and 1 lurcher and I've always wanted a beddy x whippet all the ones I've come across have been superb

have fun with your new pup and enjoy :D Sue

Dont let this person annoy u or put u off getting ur new lurcher :thumbsup: especially when it is a wee beddie x whippet! :wub: i have a beddie x whippet and i can honestly say he has been a great dog the whole 11 years that we have had him, he has one of the best characters and personalitys i have ever seen in a dog, they are brilliant wee lurchers in every aspect :thumbsup: i seen the pix u had put up off ur pup in question and they just reminded me of my Cody when he was a wee pup :wub:

Goodluck with your new pup :luck: :thumbsup:

Rose :)

I agree with what sbeen said so far, don't let anyone put you off having one. If you've got the time and knowledge to train it then why shouldn't you ?.

In my experience the people that complain about a certain breed are usuallythe same people that haven't got a clue about its needs.

This is was my whippet/beddy, one of the most obedient dogs i've ever had and as gentle as a lamb with children and other dogs.

Cheers

OBE

sorry i dont know if my reply was taken the wrong way.

i am all for different breeds living/ being together i just said i had abit of trouble when my spaniel was first a pup as my lurcher was only 12months old and wanted to run and meant thats all my spaniel wanted to do to. which we was advised not to let happen as it would encourage her to run on.

once she started getting trained up the problem stopped, and without going off the subject i dont see the harm in having lurchers plus other dogs.

am sorry if it sounded like i was against it because i am definately not, people always like to comment on the negatives of having a dog but they positives out weigh them a thousand times over!!

afterall everyone needs a lurcher!! good luck in what ever you decide!!

you sounded very excited dont let this drag you down!!

If we all did things to suit other people we'd all be miserable. It's nobodys business but yours how many dogs you have & so long as you have the time & committment for them all there shouldn't be a problem.

OldBlueEye...you've got the spitting image of my dog there (w00t) I've got no doubt now that Scrumpy is Beddy/whippet, she's the image of your dog. Ours is a rescue so we don't know her breeding but have always thought she is beddy/whippet. Now I'm positive of it :) She's 21" & is just over 2yrs old.

Aww what lovely dogs. I have all the time and the energy to put into this pup, the same as we did for all the rest. Both the girls are really keen to take him to Agility in time as well as possibly even something like Flyball. I felt quite aggrieved by her negativity, the puppy is tiny and defenceless and yet she is judging him and miscalling him already! :angry: I have a cunning plan though...i am going to teach him to retrieve dummies and next year at the game fair, the one where she takes the prize for the quickest time in the scurry..me and Jake are going to 'whip ass!' Ohhh yessss...earlier on today i was upset..now i'm just plain out for revenge!!! ;) ;) Jake will be loved as all the rest are for who he is and what he is.

A quick question..his mum is a 16" Beddy and his Dad a 21" Whippet..any idea what size he will make, roughly?

JML..no, i didnt take your post the wrong way, its a valid point that you made, no worries.

Thanks again, all.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions I suppose....Enjoy your puppy and take no notice. ts your choice at the end of the day

sometimes when I meet people on walks...they say 'why whippets' ?? .....I always answer that I love sighthounds full stop....they are lean, fast, loving, great natured...and I just love them.... :wub: :wub:

Im sorry but Im not a fat lab person.....or a ??? :lol: :lol:

I now get the same response sometimes...why on earth do you want threee dogs :lol: :lol: :blink: :- "

wish folks would mind their own businesses sometimes...

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a real thing against Lurchers from some people..they seem to tar them all with the same brush..regardless of whether they know the actual dog or not..the amount of dire warnings i've had because the pup has Bedlington in him..'they are all born killers..he will be a fighter..they are untrainable...' etc..For God's sake he is a tiny puppy who hasnt done anything wrong. Really annoys me! I get the same with the terriers however, people make assumptions that all terriers and nasty snappy little sods..sure, some terriers are..but equally there are good and bad in EVERY breed! It just makes me want to show all the negative doubters that Jake can and will be a great little dog o:) ..we'll make them eat their words! (w00t)

I know just the sort of anti- lurcher attitude you have come up against. This 'all lurchers are untrainable/ stock worriers/ poaching dogs' et c. really does my head in because so many people take it seriously. It often comes from the sort of people who own a cabinet full of shotguns and do all their shooting in the pub, with their aggressive (no training) or traumatised (1950's style training) dogs.

Ignore them and enjoy training your pup and seeing him develop his skills.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back