The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Work Experience Tomorro

whippets

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
well tomorro is the first day of my work experience course i am going to a veterinary clinic and i am realy nervous but exited at the same. :x

i will get to see veterinary consulting, operations and where nessicary animal be PTS thats what worries me most i get upset even when i see animals get PTS on the tv never mind when im standing right by them!

:(

im also worried about not knowing anyone as i get realy nervous around stranges and ive got a big booklet ive gotta fill in with all the detail but im realy looking forward to seeing the animals and watching how a veterinary consultant deals with the animals and the operations and stuff :)

wish me luck

whippets :luck:

good luck :luck: just dont stress about not knowing anyone, concentrate on what you'll have in common, ie love for animals and wanting to help them. dont be afraid to ask questions. after all, it shows youre keen to learn and get involved, which, frankly, not that many teens are.

lastly, ENJOY YOURSELF! :thumbsup:

ps dont forget to give us updates :D

awww good luck :luck: :luck: I'm sure you'll love it,you're bound to be a little nervous like with anything new let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Oooooh good luck you. :luck: :luck:

I did the same for my work experience, i loved it, every day was something different - LOADS of ops, quite a few being pts, a litter with parvo, one dog died under anaesthetic, a few rta's - like i say i really enjoyed it.

Sure you'll love it :thumbsup:

Good luck ,

Just remember that you got a great opportunity.Just be yourself and go with the flow.You will be brillient! :huggles:

You will have a really good time, I'm sure :) Years ago I did 6 weeks work exp at a vet hospital, at least it was supposed to be 6 weks, I actually stayed for 6 months, it was soooooo good. Eventually my tutor at college told me I had to leave & go somewhere else :( I started off just washing all the equipment & then moved on to watching the ops & ended up holding on to the end of cats tails as they were amputated :blink: lovely!!!!!

So long as you are not too squeamish, and if you are they would rather you just admitted to it & got out rather than throw up on the ops room floor, then you should have a good time. :thumbsup:

Enjoy your time there :luck: keep us posted.

Julie.

Good luck. You'll be fine dont worry :luck: :thumbsup:

thanks everyone i will let you know how i get on tomorro im sure i will be fine once im there im going to go bed early tonight (i went sleep at 11pm and woke up at 1:30am so ive only had 2 1/2 hours sleep -_- -_- -_- -_- as it is i just couldnt get back too sleep i was too hot)im going to get a good nights sleep so i dont fall asleep on the job!

thanks again and i will update you ASAP :huggles:

luv whippets :cheers:

Good luck with your work experience :luck: it`s a great way to find out if this is something you really want to do :)) .......and nobody will be expecting you to cope with everything on your first day . Putting animals to sleep is a valuable part of a vets job and just keep in the back of your mind that this is the most kind and humane way to end any suffering that the animal is going through and that you`ll find an inner strength in yourself which will help you cope with the situation, if you`ve never witnessed an animal being PTS in real life it is a very gentle procedure and they literally just go to sleep peacefully.

Anyway enough of the down side there are plenty of good things to look forward too and experience , like puppies being born :huggles: ........Good luck again and most of all enjoy it :thumbsup:

Sarah

good luck im sure you will be fine :luck: :luck: :luck: :huggles:

Best of luck to you. Enjoy your marvellous opportunity. :luck: :thumbsup:

good luck :luck: im sure you will feel better once youve done the first day.

im sure you will really enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Hope you're enjoying your first day :thumbsup: Make sure you tell us all about it later (w00t)

Hope you didn't have to get too close to any abscesses or anal glands on your first day :x

good luck :luck: :luck: i,m sure you will be ok :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone first day has been realy good and has gone realy quick (started at 9:15 finished at 4:00)all of the patients in consulting were dogs and luckerly nothing serious was up with them (No PTS yet luckily) :luck:

I got to observe and dog and a cat castration and a cat being spayed i also listened to a cats heart beat.

Everyone was realy nice and explained what they were doing and why they were carrying out the operation. :lol: it was realy interesting

it was quite difficult though because i had 2 stan up all day but there wasnt much room to walk around and it was REALY hot even with the fan on so i went realy feint and felt sick :x and cud hardly stand up so i had 2 go sit outside for a bit with a drink of water that was about 10:15 i was ok after that my legs were still rather wobbly but thats because i arent used to standing up for so long especially standing still i was ok when i walk around a bit

im looking forward to tomorro and it has been a realy great experience so far :thumbsup:

glad you enjoyed yourself :D and i hope day 2 is as interesting as today was :luck:

Sounds like you had a very good day. Hope you have as much of a good time the rest of the week :thumbsup:

glad you enjoyed it,knew you would

you must remeber to take snacks with you, i did 10weeks of vet practice work exp, and then i worked for a year as a vet nurse, one thing that hits you is the physical side- on your feet all the time, and under pressure.

i hardened myself to the poo/blood/guts and pts situations after a while, but even though every now and then one would get me and i'd have a little cry :(

whats worse is the emotional clients- people who just break down in tears, especially the old dears who have nothing but theyre pets, and the little children who cant understand why their doggy has died.

in the end i was carrying out dentals alone with the other nurse - fab experience.

get involved with the ops, ask them whats what, and have a really good look at the anatomy- amazing stuff!

you'll realise more than half the work is cleaning too!

have fun xxx

Glad your first day went pretty well :) . If you get an animal which has to be PTS keep reminding yourself that this animal is very ill, in great pain, so this is the kindest thing to do. :luck: for the next day

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back