The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Working Whippets

Try posting this question on the Working & Lure Coursing section as well :thumbsup: Hannah :)

Does anyone out there have a Whippet from Mike Browns Laguna line
a few people on here have pups/dogs from mike brown, i'm sure you'll get plenty of resonses now i've moved it here,

BUT mike brown doesnt own the Laguna line he just bought in some whippets that had laguna breeding in their pedigrees and i think he used 1 or 2 laguna bred stud dogs..

I've two whippets that Mike Brown bred that have Laguna in there breeding.

Jess, she's line bred sooty sam Quick as lightening x Fast fly

here she is at 7 years of age, still giving rabbits a good run :thumbsup:

tess21.jpg

tess18.jpg

This is Tess at 11 months she's (strike while the irons hot X stoke's rabbiter)

forum015-1.jpg

for040.jpg

mally said:
I've two whippets that Mike Brown bred that have Laguna in there breeding.
Jess, she's line bred sooty sam Quick as lightening x Fast fly

here she is at 7 years of age, still giving rabbits a good run  :thumbsup:

tess21.jpg

tess18.jpg

This is Tess at 11 months she's (strike while the irons hot X stoke's rabbiter)

forum015-1.jpg

for040.jpg

Lovely dogs Mally especially Jess :thumbsup:

mark the moocher said:
Does anyone out there have a Whippet from Mike Browns Laguna line?
I've got one of mike's whippets Ebb an 8 1/2 month old bitch. She's Jake 2 (Lord of the Knight x Lively lucy of Laguna X FLY (Brendan's Lady) Sooty Sam bred. I'm really pleased with her she's had 8 rabbits upto now and from day one she's shown a really strong working instinct.

yes I was ugly that day,didn't have my lipstick and make-up on.people would be frightend to look on this thread agian if they saw whats behind the wall. :) :) :)

springfield said:
Nowe mate looking at the picture again have you pi###d yourself as there seems to be a little water on the floor that looks like its come from the botton of your legs?

people would be frightend to look on this thread agian if they saw whats behind the wall
Here he goes bragging again to the girls :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
mark the moocher said:
I think he breeds a Bull/Whippet cross aswell.The Sooty Sam line is just a glorified Laguna line.Sooty Sam strain all stems back to Laguna.They are getting to popular now and to imbred.I think a good coursing dog with out Sooty Sam in him would be a great asset to Working whippets.

springfield said:
mark the moocher said:
I think he breeds a Bull/Whippet cross aswell.The Sooty Sam line is just a glorified Laguna line.Sooty Sam strain all stems back to Laguna.They are getting to popular now and to imbred.I think a good coursing dog with out Sooty Sam in him would be a great asset to Working whippets.

TBH i wouldn't have a whippet WITHOUT the sooty sam lines. They have the drive and desire to do the job.

mally said:
springfield said:
mark the moocher said:

TBH i wouldn't have a whippet WITHOUT the sooty sam lines. They have the drive and desire to do the job.

But so do other lines!

Laguna is the affix of Lilah Bond Gunning (now Wainman), her dogs are really rather different in type from Mike Brown's.

springfield said:
I think a good coursing dog with out Sooty Sam in him would be a great asset to Working whippets.
There are plenty around. Coursing whippets are not the same as working whippets, too often they are confused. True coursing strains are smaller, finer and probably faster.

My race bred dog has mated 3 different sooty sam line bitches and has produced some fantastic looking pups that are able to compete in the field for working on the field for racing and some have even done well in the show ring.

True coursing strains are smaller, finer and probably faster
yep.

i think what gets confused a lot is some are advertised as having coursed but would never of coursed (true coursing) under rules as they were over the 20" hight limit (dogs/bitchs had to be under 20")

A dog taken out by its owner thatkills a hare hasnt realy been coursing has it? surely its just been hare hunting?

But IMO any whippet reared from 8 weeks old to work are caperble of doing a good days work im not talking an hour or 2 im talking a proper days ferreting 4-6 hours or a good 4 hour lamping session, regardless of whether they are working/coursing/racing or show bred.

A lot of a dogs ability to hunt/stamina depends on the way its been reared/trained/excersised?.

I've got a coursing breed Lynperry whippet, she is finer and smaller but she's bloody quick with stamina to match. :thumbsup:

Very pleased with her, while flushing hares to the gun she's managed to catch two single handed before they were safe to shoot safely :- " :D

I'm so impressed with her I'm going to enter her in the EAWCC puppy cup to she how good she is at lure coursing against whippets of the same age and type

Mark Roberts said:
i think what gets confused a lot is some are advertised as having coursed but would never of coursed (true coursing) under rules as they were over the 20" hight limit (dogs/bitchs had to be under 20")
It is irritating when looking for coursing pup, you see many advertised as such that really aren't. I'd agree, a dog is very much what you make it; at our local lurecoursing there are a number of excellent dogs with various sorts of breeding/physiques, the one thing they have in common is they are all very fit.

Lakey said:
I'm so impressed with her I'm going to enter her in the EAWCC puppy cup to she how good she is at lure coursing against whippets of the same age and type
They've gone over to lurecoursing have they? Can non members enter?

They've gone over to lurecoursing have they? Can non members enter?
They went over to Lure coursing after the ban was brought in, Pennymeadow & Myself went down and ran a lure coursing exhibition stake for them so that members could give their dogs a try and to give the members chance to watch and try lure coursing out before they laid the money out for rollers ect.

since then they have set up a seperate section called (if my memory serves me right) The East Anglia Whippet Lure Coursing Club its a sub section of the EAWCC.

They run stakes for members only and run the odd event for non members, Lampingmans probably a good one for advice on what EAWLC are going to be running

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back