The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Working Whippets

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
mark the moocher said:
yeah any info is a goode thing, life is one big learning curve. And gaining knowledge about dogs is a full time thing!  Here is my pup from Mike Brown she is a terror!
Nice pup they're all terrors at that age how old is she /he exactly and what mike Brown dogs she out of?

its a bitch she is 6 months at the end of this month. she is out of Meg and by jake two. Road runner x Cliffs girl.

this is a more upto date 1

1.JPG

mark the moocher said:
its a bitch she is 6 months at the end of this month. she is out of Meg and by jake two. Road runner x Cliffs girl.this is a more upto date 1

Simiar breeding to my bitch she's Jake 2 x Fly and 9 months old today is she showing much intrest in working yet? I only ask as Ebb showed an interest very early on

View attachment 40583

Thats a nice bitch mate, she looks tall how high is she? I,m finding Mally a bit of a handfull, only yesturday she pinned my 1st cross bedlington whippet to the floor by the throat. Not a bad thing i know but it needs channeling me thinks! She is very fiesty and bold and very head strong! I like a challenge though. I'm not keen on entering dogs at an early age rather spend the time on training and getting them right before hand. But to be fair i dont think i'm gonna have much choice with this one as i'm surrounded by fields with rabbits and hares in!

mark the moocher said:
Thats a nice bitch mate, she looks tall how high is she? I,m finding Mally a bit of a handfull, only yesturday she pinned my 1st cross bedlington whippet to the floor by the throat. Not a bad thing i know but it needs channeling me thinks! She is very fiesty and bold and very head strong! I like a challenge though. I'm not keen on entering dogs at an early age rather spend the time on training and getting them right before hand. But to be fair i dont think i'm gonna have much choice with this one as i'm surrounded by fields with rabbits and hares in!
Thanks Ebbs not that tall she's 19" yeah I agree in principal with what you're saying and I said the same thing as you to Mike Brown when he told me that the pup would catch at 6 months. No too young I said then I started taking her on short late summer evening walks and she showed an interest straight away. She's had eleven upto now and I'm well pleased with her. I used to have a collie lurcher back in the day but I've been dogless for a few years so I'm just as keen as she is at the moment a bit too young I know but I never take her out for too long and she does get plenty of rest I make sure of that. She does tend to be hard mouthed though Idon't know whether thats a whippet trait or not she's my first (whippet) so I'm learning all the time.

As for fighting our Brother's got a 7 month old Lynperry whippet and all they do is fight and pin each other down they love it.

crime_122.jpg

Thanks Ebbs not that tall she's 19" yeah I agree in principal with what you're saying and I said the same thing as you to Mike Brown when he told me that the pup would catch at 6 months. No too young I said then I started taking her on short late summer evening walks and she showed an interest straight away. She's had eleven upto now and I'm well pleased with her. I used to have a collie lurcher back in the day but I've been dogless for a few years so I'm just as keen as she is at the moment a bit too young I know but I never take her out for too long and she does get plenty of rest I make sure of that. She does tend to be hard mouthed though Idon't know whether thats a whippet trait or not she's my first (whippet) so I'm learning all the time.

As for fighting our Brother's got a 7 month old Lynperry whippet and all they do is fight and pin each other down they love it.

My bitch Gypsy is out of Lord of the Night and Meg , she is coming up to 15 months old now. Mike told me his line were early starters and he wasn`t wrong Gypsy caught her first rabbit albeit with the help of another of my dogs at about 6 months . I had to hold her back a bit as we have a lot of rabbits about locally , but as a worker I can`t fault her she does everything I want her to

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what Mike Brown did was take a tightly line bred dog of Laguna breeding and inbred it to fix it's working qualities ie. stamina, hunting instinct etc. Through inbreeding and the odd outcross he has fixed a type that does exactly "what it says on the tin". They're not the fastest but they are good workers and when mated to other lines have produced good coursing dogs as well. He cornered a market in working whippets and he wasn't scared to inbreed which is the best if not controversial way to reproduce a tangiable quality from the parents through to offspring. Sooty Sam was bred from coursing lines with 4 lines back to Laguna Light Lagoon not a courser but a good coursing producer, Laguna Lacquer 2 x Nicholl cup winner, 2 lines to Laguna Gt Circle Marjorie 2 x Laguna cup for bitches and various other dogs such as nimrodel Ruff and Laguna Lennox that distinguished themselves coursing. I tiink it would be more accurate to say from a coursing line he created a working line and because noone else was doing it he cornered the market who else has widely promoted a working strain of whippet from the early nineties through to the present day?

Tripletree , you`ve hit the nail on the head there , Mike has created a working strain from some of the best coursing bloodlines and like you say they do exactly what it says on the tin. Nice pup too btw

My bitch Gypsy is out of Lord of the Night and Meg , she is coming up to 15 months old now. Mike told me his line were early starters and he wasn`t wrong Gypsy caught her first rabbit albeit with the help of another of my dogs at about 6

months . I had to hold her back a bit as we have a lot of rabbits about locally , but as a worker I can`t fault her she does everything I want her to

Ebb was just over 5 months I'm almost ashamed to say. I know it's not terribly important for them to start early but it is allways nice to get that first catch out the way and there isn't that many rabbits round by us. She's 9 months now and she's had 11 with a few of them being myxy with half and half caught lamping and daytime. Only short lamping sessions though just a couple of easier slips per night and only a few times, locally 5 slips would be a good night anyway. I know what you're saying about holding them back you never want to over do work at an early age. But they are energetic dogs and I think as long as you're sensible with it, a few exploratory outings isn't going to be harmful and of course the dog loves it.

Lord of the knight x meg is a similar cross to Ebb and like you I can't fault her working instinct and enthusiasm. I take her out she has a mess about with our brothers lynperry bitch but once we get to where the rabbits are she's off, nose down, ears up.

I think what Mike Brown did was take a tightly line bred dog of Laguna breeding and inbred it to fix it's working qualities ie. stamina, hunting instinct etc. Through inbreeding and the odd outcross he has fixed a type that does exactly "what it says on the tin". They're not the fastest but they are good workers and when mated to other lines have produced good coursing dogs as well. He cornered a market in working whippets and he wasn't scared to inbreed which is the best if not controversial way to reproduce a tangiable quality from the parents through to offspring. Sooty Sam was bred from coursing lines with 4 lines back to Laguna Light Lagoon not a courser but a good coursing producer, Laguna Lacquer 2 x Nicholl cup winner, 2 lines to Laguna Gt Circle Marjorie 2 x Laguna cup for bitches and various other dogs such as nimrodel Ruff and Laguna Lennox that distinguished themselves coursing. I tiink it would be more accurate to say from a coursing line he created a working line and because noone else was doing it he cornered the market who else has widely promoted a working strain of whippet from the early nineties through to the present day?

Tripletree , you`ve hit the nail on the head there , Mike has created a working strain from some of the best coursing bloodlines and like you say they do exactly what it says on the tin. Nice pup too btw

Thanks Nigel I only know of a few people who have working whippets (in the Mike Brown context) but they all seem to say the same thing about them being great workers. when I bought Ebb I had a choice of 13 in the litter but they were that even it was impossible to choose Mike kept three himself and he just kept the three that were left he was that confident in the litter.

They are very typey both in looks usually blues or blacks and in ability . I`ve owned a fair few running dogs in my time, and I`ve have to say that even now at a young age Gypsy is up with the best of them . I`ve certainly never owned a dog that has as good a nose as Gypsy , and for all round hunting ability and enthusiasm she`s probably going to be the best I`ve owned

nigelmcfc said:
They are very typey both in looks usually blues or blacks and in ability . I`ve owned a fair few running dogs in my time, and I`ve have to say that even now at a young age Gypsy is up with the best of them . I`ve certainly never owned a dog that has as good a nose as Gypsy , and for all round hunting ability and enthusiasm she`s probably going to be the best I`ve owned
Ebb's only my second I had a collie cross lurcher back in 86 who also had a high work rate and caught all game fur and feather but not as early as Ebb she just seems to have an old head on young shoulders. She's upto 14 now another three daytime myxies one each day since Saturday and it's doing wonders for her confidence. Since I've had Ebb I'm convinced there is no need for a small lurcher why bother when a whippet can do it just as good, what's the point in losing the pace.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back