The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Working Whippets

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
moriarte said:
Mark Roberts said:
i think what gets confused a lot is some are advertised as having coursed but would never of coursed (true coursing) under rules as they were over the 20" hight limit (dogs/bitchs had to be under 20")
It is irritating when looking for coursing pup, you see many advertised as such that really aren't. I'd agree, a dog is very much what you make it; at our local lurecoursing there are a number of excellent dogs with various sorts of breeding/physiques, the one thing they have in common is they are all very fit.

Lakey said:
I'm so impressed with her I'm going to enter her in the EAWCC puppy cup to she how good she is at lure coursing against whippets of the same age and type
They've gone over to lurecoursing have they? Can non members enter?

They call themselves East Anglian whippet COUNTRY club now and are in to lure coursing and other things. If your dog/s are KC reg and 20 inches or under then you would be eligible for membership. There are 4 meetings scheduled for the coming weeks. If you want to pm me I will put you in contact with the secretary who will no doubt advise you on membership or possibly participating in trials as a non member to see how things go etc

LAMPY :thumbsup:

See I told you Lampy would know.

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

Just thought I should of kept my membership up then I could of told everyone I was a member of the country club i'd of felt posh them. :p

Mark Roberts said:
He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

Just thought I should of kept my membership up then I could of told everyone I was a member of the country club i'd of felt posh them.  :p

You wish Parkstoner (w00t) . Iam a member but haven't been yet this season. Will go soon though as Bramble is flying :blink: Are those Spryers listening??

To be feared

LAMPINGMAN :thumbsup:

We might have to bring a team down for 1 of the events. :thumbsup:

lamping man said:
Mark Roberts said:
He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

He's the man

Just thought I should of kept my membership up then I could of told everyone I was a member of the country club i'd of felt posh them.  :p

You wish Parkstoner (w00t) . Iam a member but haven't been yet this season. Will go soon though as Bramble is flying :blink: Are those Spryers listening??

To be feared

LAMPINGMAN :thumbsup:

Yeah yeah lampy always listening :thumbsup: ,never worried :thumbsup: :D :p

Have you not heard Lesley :- " Hes bought some scales, (w00t) i think he means buisness this year. ;)

Even if he weighed them everyday they still wouldn't beat Spry,I dont need scales for her just need to look at her to know she's fast enough to whip those lampy ass's :D

*Lesley* said:
Even if he weighed them everyday they still wouldn't beat Spry,I dont need scales for her just need to look at her to know she's fast enough to whip those lampy ass's :D
You've been at the wine again Spryer (w00t) what have I told you. You're getting ideas way above your station :D

Brilliant these new scales much better than those old spring operated jobs :lol:

Bramble is 25lb 5 and 1/4 ounces of dynamite 'bout the same as Kane's back legs :clown:

Your a very BRAVE man Lampy, :lol: she might let you get away with a lot , :- " but calling her boy Kane, o:) i"d watch out if i where you. :eek:

Paula Roberts said:
Your a very BRAVE man Lampy, :lol: she might let you get away with a lot , :- "  but calling her boy Kane,  o:)   i"d watch out if i where you. :eek:
Its ok Paula people resort to insults when they are scared, it's a nervous reaction 8)

I might just let my boy Kane show em how it's done now I was going to keep him as a sub incase Spry was in season but now it's every man for himself, the Spryers are well and truly going to show the lampys what racing is all about now :thumbsup:

I might just let my boy Kane show em how it's done now I was going to keep him as a sub incase Spry was in season but now it's every man for himself, the Spryers are well and truly going to show the lampys what racing is all about now
Here we go again! :p

moriarte said:
Laguna is the affix of Lilah Bond Gunning (now Wainman), her dogs are really rather different in type from Mike Brown's.
springfield said:
I think a good coursing dog with out Sooty Sam in him would be a great asset to Working whippets.
There are plenty around. Coursing whippets are not the same as working whippets, too often they are confused. True coursing strains are smaller, finer and probably faster.

I think what Mike Brown did was take a tightly line bred dog of Laguna breeding and inbred it to fix it's working qualities ie. stamina, hunting instinct etc. Through inbreeding and the odd outcross he has fixed a type that does exactly "what it says on the tin". They're not the fastest but they are good workers and when mated to other lines have produced good coursing dogs as well. He cornered a market in working whippets and he wasn't scared to inbreed which is the best if not controversial way to reproduce a tangiable quality from the parents through to offspring. Sooty Sam was bred from coursing lines with 4 lines back to Laguna Light Lagoon not a courser but a good coursing producer, Laguna Lacquer 2 x Nicholl cup winner, 2 lines to Laguna Gt Circle Marjorie 2 x Laguna cup for bitches and various other dogs such as nimrodel Ruff and Laguna Lennox that distinguished themselves coursing. I tiink it would be more accurate to say from a coursing line he created a working line and because noone else was doing it he cornered the market who else has widely promoted a working strain of whippet from the early nineties through to the present day?

crime_085.jpg

i dont know enough about the lines to really have any opinion ,however ive just bought a blue bitch that has three lines to sooty sam and mike browns dogs .all i know is these dogs cant have been that bad if they have continually been bred to produce workers .i say workers not racing or lure coursing as ive no experience in these fields of whippet owning . but sooty sam and lord of the night and co are names that crop up when working whippets are mentioned im sure there are many other strains which have as good if not better whippets in their lines . thankyou for allowing me to have my input not that its worth anything.

thankyou for allowing me to have my input not that its worth anything.
everyones input is worth somthing mate, we all learn of each other, I know things you dont you know things I don't.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back