The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Worming Advise

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Shadow-Hunter said:
If you hunt rabbits you should worm once a month for fleas can pass from rabbit into your dogs mouth and turn into worms  :( ,after hunting season I would go back to every 3 months
Sorry to be nit-picking (or flea picking :) ), but fleas do not turn into worms. However fleas do carry tapeworm eggs and therefore if your dog has fleas it will likely have also tapeworms. Provided that the flea came across some tapeworm eggs.

To check your dog's worm infestation, you need to take him to the vet who will look under microscope at swab from his anus.

Julie D said:
when we worm a dog with Drontal, how long does it take for the b****rs to finish coming out ?  :x
Unless the dog is heavily infested, you don't generally see worms as the modern wormers kill and break them down in the gut.

Serahina is quite right. I prescribe Drontal and Panacur out on a daily basis to my customers and I always recommend worming every 3 months. I also suggest worming with an alternative at least once a year ie if you normally use drontal worm with panacur as worms can build resistance.

If anyone wants me to prescribe out to them create an account on my site and buy direct.....I guarentee it's cheaper than the vets :)

If anyone wants advice on worming please contact me and I will be happy to help. K9'ers will save even more money if they ring me as I can give a discount on the postage.

Pauline

Northolm Supplies

Julie D said:
parker ink said:
do worm counts to see the worm burden and then worm as necesary.

:x :x this is my most hated topic, but I know it's necessary

can't bear to think how you do worm counts :blink:

lol

you are quite right. I was thinking about this after I had posted. Horse, sheep and cow poo is a LOT less disgusting than dog or cat poo (is it instinct warning us that the carnivore poo may have transmittable diseases that the herbivore poo doesnt?)

There is NO WAY I am going to start guddling about with dog poo so please excuse me for such a silly question :D

I met a dog in the park recently who had been very ill. The vet had run loads of tests; the dog had no energy (it was only a year old). It could barely walk. The vet hadn't even asked about worming...

Finally the owner thought of worming it - she's never done so before loathing chemicals etc. Three days later a far happier dog.

We met it about a week on and the dog started to run with Freddie. The owner was gobsmacked!! She was also messianic about worming dogs!!!

I'm now supervigilant about worming but hate pumping chemicals into them. Every 4 months???

I wouldn't do it if the dogs weren't walking daily in city parks - meeting lots of dogs of all types etc.

Plus both of mine are young dogs and pick up anything, and adore cat pooh/ duck poo/ goose poo/ probably any pooh apart from dog pooh...

I worm mine every 3-6 months, usually Drontal Nicky..... and just tried the new one on the cats - which you dab at the base of their necks (like Frontline.)

one little word of warning Nicky - if your dogs eat sheep poo..... which mine do too :- " if the sheep have just been wormed ... it can make your dogs runny too - :x

garlic added to their food now n again helps to keep fleas away,reducing the risk of worms

I worm mine about every 6 months - wouldn't want to do it any more frequent than that

Janimal said:
I worm mine every 3-6 months, usually Drontal Nicky..... and just tried the new one on the cats - which you dab at the base of their necks (like Frontline.)

Is this a Drontal product? What's the name of it, I would be interested in it for my cats, I usually use Panacur Favourites on them but they are even getting wise to that now ................ and we all know what cats are like to give pills to!!!!

dessie said:
Janimal said:

Is this a Drontal product? What's the name of it, I would be interested in it for my cats, I usually use Panacur Favourites on them but they are even getting wise to that now ................ and we all know what cats are like to give pills to!!!!

just used aproduct on my cats which treats fleas and worms and my old cat reacted badly to it, i did put a thread up with her symptons and didnt make the connection til much later, worked perfect on my younger cat though so proceed with caution when using on older cats :thumbsup:

Hi,

Yes the product is called Droncit (made by bayer the makers of Drontal) and it is only for tapeworm.

Pauline

Northolm said:
Hi,
Yes the product is called Droncit (made by bayer the makers of Drontal) and it is only for tapeworm.

Pauline

There is a product called PROFENDER which is a spot on wormer made by Bayer it does Roundworms and tapeworms for cats. My vet recommended it for my mum's cat as every time she has a worming tablet she is sick about 20mins after it :x You can buy it from www.petmeds.co.uk

There is a product called PROFENDER which is a spot on wormer made by Bayer it does Roundworms and tapeworms for cats. My vet recommended it for my mum's cat as every time she has a worming tablet she is sick about 20mins after it :x You can buy it from www.petmeds.co.uk

You would need to obtain a prescription from your vet for this product though

kirsty said:
Northolm said:
Hi,

Pauline

Yep, done a search and it is POM but Canine Chemists or Vetmedic are both cheaper than Petmeds although it is an expensive product, per se.

Canine Chemists offer the one for large or medium cats at £11.10

Vetmedic are a bit more at £11.44.

Can't find out how long one application lasts for though, even the NOAH website doesn't give that information.

We have here Pfizer product called Revolution, the active ingredient is Selamectin. In dogs it does adult fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, heartworm. ear mites and sarcoptic mange. I do not have the cat one in this moment (just a reduced dose of the same stuff) but I am pretty sure it does all above plus worms. Some of the other multipurpose products have whole cocktail of chemicals, I like this as it is only the one.

Last edited by a moderator:
:( Never realised it was POM that's a bit of a pain then! My vet does not like giving out prescriptions at all.

As we realised when my brother asked for one for his cat's medicine for his kidney problem. It works out far cheaper to get the medicine from a pet pharmacy but now she makes my brother get the cat checked every 3 or 6 months so he has to pay a consultation fee but she never asked for the cat to be seen when she was supplying the meds!

Our practice charges £6.70 for a Profender ampoule, and the manufacturers recommend it should be applied every 3 months.

how effective (and safe) is Milbemax? I asked a vet for Drontal and she suggested Milbemax for easier dosage measurement, one tablet for each of my dogs although they are different sizes. One tablet for dogs between 10 and 25 kg.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back