The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

7 month puppy jumping and biting on walks

Brodie982754

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone,

We have a seven month old lurcher puppy who is absolutely great. However, we are experiencing a major problem with his behaviour whenever he is outside (walk, garden, or going to the toilet). It has been happening for about 3 months now and we do have a trainer but we aren't seeing much improvement. Mostly, the behaviour occurs when we are at the end of the walk, he isn't able to say hello to a dog, or he isn't able to go and eat something off the ground. Most of the time it is clearly frustration at not being able to get what he wants but it is becoming increasingly hard to predict and can happen at very random moments. He will jump up at us, nip our arms or legs, chew his lead etc. and it is so difficult for us to manage. We have tried everything we can think of. Taking him for shorter walks, avoiding areas that may trigger him, working on his manners around other dogs, providing him with sticks, scattering treats, trying to redirect his behaviour, the lot, but nothing seems to be working. Our trainer also showed us how to hold his collar to prevent him jumping and wait for him to calm down but he then just bites our wrists and goes straight back to the behaviour when we let go. While we completely understand that he is only 7 months and most certainly going through his teenage rebellion phase, we are getting to the point that he is hurting us and its impacting our relationship with him (love him to pieces but not when he's going for my arm). We need him to know that putting his mouth on someone is unnaceptable and cannot happen but he really doesn't seem to understand. It feels like he doesn't care when we ignore him. As I mentioned, we do have a trainer who we have booked more sessions with but we aren't able to get a session until July so would really appreciate any help from anyone. We are completely against negative reinforcement and only ever use positive reinforcement. He is a big dog and has big teeth so even if it is just play bites, they can do damage. Our arms are covered in bruises and yesterday he broke the skin on my finger. I also want to stress that I don't believe he is doing it as a form of aggression. It is clear that his brain just scrambles and he's unable to regulate his emotions or make decisions. But in some ways this makes it more difficult because we know when he is in that state, he can't learn that there are other more rewarding behaviours that can be done instead of jumping and biting. A muzzle is something we would hate to use on him but obviously the safety of ourselves, others around us, and our puppy is paramount. We are really hoping that we can sort this behaviour before it comes to that though. Thank you all so much for any advice

No advice just my sympathy and condolences. I remember when Bax was the same age he’d do the exact same thing. Absolutely shredded his leash and would spin in circles. If he’d been taller I’m sure he’d have taken a chunk out of my arms to (he was 12 lbs). It was a decade ago so unfortunately I don’t have any words of wisdom. I think I just waited that phase out and bought a new leash in celebration when he stopped acting like a little hooligan lol teenagers are just the worst.

A point that I will add in hindsight is that when your child is being difficult that is the perfect time to lean in and work harder on your bond. Bax was an absolute nightmare as a puppy and there were moments i can cheerfully say I hated him. He wasn’t what I’d wanted or dreamed of when I thought of a dog (yet!). The moments when he destroyed the most valuable things. Peed for the millionth time in the house. Ran away when I tried to pet him. Those were the moments I really leaned in and worked harder with him. Took on that extra long walk. Did that extra trick training. Played with him. Pet him. Praised him. Because it’s precisely in those really hard moments that you want to strengthen your bond.

Just some food for thought.

Do you know what type of mix he is ....what are you feeding him ....

A point that I will add in hindsight is that when your child is being difficult that is the perfect time to lean in and work harder on your bond. Bax was an absolute nightmare as a puppy and there were moments i can cheerfully say I hated him. He wasn’t what I’d wanted or dreamed of when I thought of a dog (yet!). The moments when he destroyed the most valuable things. Peed for the millionth time in the house. Ran away when I tried to pet him. Those were the moments I really leaned in and worked harder with him. Took on that extra long walk. Did that extra trick training. Played with him. Pet him. Praised him. Because it’s precisely in those really hard moments that you want to strengthen your bond.

Just some food for thought.
Thank you so much. I’m sorry you had such a hard time with your pup but it is reassuring to hear that we aren’t the only ones!

Do you know what type of mix he is ....what are you feeding him ....
He’s mainly greyhound, with beagle, staffy, foxhound and multiple other hounds. We feed him orijen large puppy kibble, plus a couple of pumps of salmon oil, some chicken broth and a little bit of puppy meat to make it more tasty

He’s mainly greyhound, with beagle, staffy, foxhound and multiple other hounds. We feed him orijen large puppy kibble, plus a couple of pumps of salmon oil, some chicken broth and a little bit of puppy meat to make it more tasty
The puppy kibble maybe too high in protein for him sighthound mixes do better on a lower protein and at his age he could go on normal food ...we always made sure our lurchers protein was below 19% it makes a huge difference in behaviour...he has alot of working breeds in his mix ...have you posted a pic he sounds very interesting...

Ive just looked and it looks like 38%protein....yikes ...
Have you considered feeding him a raw diet ..

The puppy kibble maybe too high in protein for him sighthound mixes do better on a lower protein and at his age he could go on normal food ...we always made sure our lurchers protein was below 19% it makes a huge difference in behaviour...he has alot of working breeds in his mix ...have you posted a pic he sounds very interesting...
Thanks so much for your advice, I’ve never thought about food playing a role in his behaviour. I haven’t posted a picture before but I’ll post one now!

Attachments

• 7aaa4e37-f19c-4784-9cd9-57f445a4212c.jpeg
    7aaa4e37-f19c-4784-9cd9-57f445a4212c.jpeg
    677.2 KB · Views: 12
Thank you so much! We rescued him from Northern Ireland when he was 10 weeks old.

This brought back so many memories of my dog when he was a teenogre - trust me, you are not alone, and I'm really happy that you realise his brain just scrambles so he can't think straight.

You are doing so much that is right, but might find a few more tips here: Jumping up/getting overexcited on walks

As per muzzle - my dog wore a muzzle on all walks as he could be reactive under certain situations, and a dog can absolutely love his walks while wearing a muzzle. It would be worth you training for this now, rather than waiting till you decide that he needs it. It does need to be a well-fitting open muzzle, like this: 115L Basket Running Muzzle (leather nose band) | The Muzzle Shop That store gives advice on fitting, but if you have any questions they are very helpful. Of course, the muzzle isn't a substitute for training, but it might help you keep calmer when your dog has his wild moments, and a Zen-like attitude really can help!

This brought back so many memories of my dog when he was a teenogre - trust me, you are not alone, and I'm really happy that you realise his brain just scrambles so he can't think straight.

You are doing so much that is right, but might find a few more tips here: Jumping up/getting overexcited on walks

As per muzzle - my dog wore a muzzle on all walks as he could be reactive under certain situations, and a dog can absolutely love his walks while wearing a muzzle. It would be worth you training for this now, rather than waiting till you decide that he needs it. It does need to be a well-fitting open muzzle, like this: 115L Basket Running Muzzle (leather nose band) | The Muzzle Shop That store gives advice on fitting, but if you have any questions they are very helpful. Of course, the muzzle isn't a substitute for training, but it might help you keep calmer when your dog has his wild moments, and a Zen-like attitude really can help!
Thank you so much, I’ll have a look at the link and certainly look into the muzzle!

That muzzle site is awesome. My dog needs to wear a muzzle on public transport in some places and their muzzles are lightweight and comfortable.

I have just bought my boys a head collar each from 2posh2pull ...they are very different to the usual head collars

Let me know how you get on! We were deliberating getting a head collar but most places say it shouldn’t be used for under nine months (although I'm always unsure how strict this is)

They are much better that the normal ones especially for sighthounds...they are fleece made much more comfortable and they walk perfectly with them ...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back