The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Question For You Showers!!

posh totty

whippet servant
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
can anyone tell me if there are any real working whippets shown these days and to what degree of success have they achieved? or indeed any true working whippets from the past , how well did they do and what were they used for in the field?

many thanks in advance :thumbsup:

posh totty said:
can anyone tell me if there are any real working whippets shown these days and to what degree of success have they achieved? or indeed any true working whippets from the past , how well did they do and what were they used for in the field?
many thanks in advance  :thumbsup:

In your opinion what determines a “real working whippet”?

a dog that was regularly used for , say ferretting , hare coursing ( either under rules or just at owners pleasure , pre ban of course) rabbitting , not just catching one when out for a walk?

I believe TC on the other forum shows and uses for ferreting, correct me if i'm wrong.

Others do coursing but not sure to what degree.

I think it is best i leave this to them that know.

T Hoare said:
I believe TC on the other forum shows and uses for ferreting, correct me if i'm wrong.Others do coursing but not sure to what degree.

I think it is best i leave this to them that know.

this is why i asked the question , as i do all activities with mine ? also i was reading on E S S and now the different types that are seen in the ring to the field and this prompted me to ask? i really want to know if there are any old or recent champions whom have "been there and done it" so to speak? there are many people on here with a vast amount of showing and pedigree history, which i hope will answer my question ? its also nice if a pic is put up of a dog from for example 30 yrs ago to now? :thumbsup:

There were 2 show champions who were also coursing champions:

Ch Sound Barrier & Ch Chyton Copy Press

These were around a while ago, I am sure there are pictures on the whippet forum. They are both in one of dogs pedigrees :thumbsup:

posh totty said:
a dog that was regularly used for ,  say ferretting , hare coursing ( either under rules or just at owners pleasure , pre ban of course) rabbitting  , not just  catching one when out for a walk?

Does owner need T wear hob nail boots & work dun pit from 4 inT morn til 9 aT neaT, wi sunday afternoons off Tpub fo Tpint.

Is a flat cap optional?

Does it also make a difference if gaffer can pick 'is snap dog up bi scruff 'n' tail and chuck it down back ginnal?

Maybe feedin um on bread n milk.

Does any of this help to make them a real whippet?

~JO~ said:

These were around a while ago, I am sure there are pictures on the whippet forum.  They are both in one of dogs pedigrees  :thumbsup:

I think Ch Shoalingam Sovereign was also a lure courser of merit?

*Mark* said:
posh totty said:
a dog that was regularly used for ,  say ferretting , hare coursing ( either under rules or just at owners pleasure , pre ban of course) rabbitting  , not just  catching one when out for a walk?

Does owner need T wear hob nail boots & work dun pit from 4 inT morn til 9 aT neaT, wi sunday afternoons off Tpub fo Tpint.

Is a flat cap optional?

Does it also make a difference if gaffer can pick 'is snap dog up bi scruff 'n' tail and chuck it down back ginnal?

I think the Flat Cap is A must, doesn't everyone who owns a whuppet ave un. Sorry mark my finest zumerset yocal accent just can't do northun.

These were around a while ago,

Yes these 2 are in my Incas pedigree, and look at her boys ;) .....I think this is a fair question .... There really aren't any dual purpose Whippets about nowadays ....... Though I do think BeeJays Bean is about the closest I've seen ....Placed at champ and open shows, lure coursing and has beaten very good racing bred Whippets at champs level ....Oh yes and he's Black :wub: ....He also hunts ....So you have a dog that's met the correct breed standard and actually measured and weighed in (so hes no more than 21" or 32lbs)

IMPO ALL Whippets should be capable of working all day (or night) ....as at the end of the day they are hunting dogs ...... oh yes and also bred to RACE !!!! ....Ho hum .... o:)

Last edited by a moderator:
louisetope said:
~JO~ said:

These were around a while ago, I am sure there are pictures on the whippet forum.  They are both in one of dogs pedigrees  :thumbsup:

I think Ch Shoalingam Sovereign was also a lure courser of merit?

Yep I think you are right - there are also quite a few other dogs that are not Champions but successful in both the show and lure-coursing world

We have two bitchs up until the laws changed that were very keen coursers of hares and rabbits. They liked hares the best as a better chase was on. Both girls have their Oz Champ titles. For me a pure bred whippet can do all of the things on this forum not just show whippets or racing whippets and so on. But most show people don't like their show dogs with scares and lumps and bumps from coursing and most whippets would rather chase a rabbit than trot around the ring if they had the choice. I love them all, as they can do anything that we wish of them, is there any other breed to have. (w00t) (w00t)

T Hoare said:
*Mark* said:
posh totty said:

Is a flat cap optional?

I think the Flat Cap is A must, doesn't everyone who owns a whuppet ave un. Sorry mark my finest zumerset yocal accent just can't do northun.

l personally feel the flat cap is an optional extra , but thats JMO :D

mark i think you miss my point, im trying to see if any have been able to make the grade both ways, both be beautiful and effective, and if so what dogs were they and are they in many pedigrees of today? many choose to work , many choose to show indeed many are just much loved pets , doesnt make them any less of a whippet imo, just wanted to ask this question to see if its been done? :thumbsup:

thanks hannah, im sure some of beans relations are in my dads dog and jessies (my whippet, sired by him) :thumbsup:

i have noticed my jessie is a slug round the ring , you would think im trying to murder her the way she goes (w00t) this is what lead me to stop showing her regularly and concentrate on working and lure coursing her, this is when she comes alive!!! :D

so i would also say it was very hard to do both , as showing wouldnt be as much fun as say chasing?

with rabitting , you either catch or you dont, in showing it is a beauty contest so whilst 1 may be a demon on the field it may not be any way shape or form what a judge would like???

:thumbsup:

posh totty said:
T Hoare said:
*Mark* said:
posh totty said:

Is a flat cap optional?

mark i think you miss my point, im trying to see if any have been able to make the grade both ways, both be beautiful and effective, and if so what dogs were they and are they in many pedigrees of today? many choose to work , many choose to show indeed many are just much loved pets , doesnt make them any less of a whippet imo, just wanted to ask this question to see if its been done? :thumbsup:

thanks hannah, im sure some of beans relations are in my dads dog and jessies (my whippet, sired by him) :thumbsup:

does that mean all northerns have to wear a flat cap...i just dont suit one

and my husband a southern and wont wear one :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
wear it at a jaunty angle hun , i find that helps!! (w00t)

trac said:
posh totty said:
T Hoare said:
*Mark* said:
posh totty said:

Is a flat cap optional?

I must be a true Yorkshire man coz I always wear mine when I'm out with the dogs.

I was thinking of having some rabbits tatooed on my head,

from a distance they might look like hares or is that hairs,

( I'm going a but thin on top).

*Mark* said:
trac said:
posh totty said:
T Hoare said:
*Mark* said:
posh totty said:

Is a flat cap optional?

I must be a true Yorkshire man coz I always wear mine when I'm out with the dogs.

I was thinking of having some rabbits tatooed on my head,

from a distance they might look like hares or is that hairs,

( I'm going a but thin on top).

could always have a nice running scene round the back at base of cap (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back